Considering a used 2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
All:

Coming from the land of cruisers, I want a faster, more nimble bike capable of long distance hauls. My wife recently got her endorsement and has taken ownership of my old ride (a Yamaha 950t) and my beginner bike just isn't cutting it (88 Kawasaki 454ltd) in the space or the baggage areas.

Any heartburn over getting into a 2005 FJR? I've done some light reading - hear the cam chain tensioner probably needs attention if there are noises. Anything else to look for? I have 2 dealerships that have similar models with 45-50k on the clock on each.

I'm not looking for this bike to get me a ton of miles - however, 100k shouldn't be out of the question right? Also, the pricing of the bike is around 6k for each... does that sound like a deal, or should I push lower due to miles and/or condition? The one bike I've seen has some light scratches etc - looks like it's been dropped at one point etc.

Thanks!

Do a search on searchtempest for an FJR to give you an idea on prices . I think you could get a better deal also quite a few of them with low miles but still good prices .

All:
Coming from the land of cruisers, I want a faster, more nimble bike capable of long distance hauls. My wife recently got her endorsement and has taken ownership of my old ride (a Yamaha 950t) and my beginner bike just isn't cutting it (88 Kawasaki 454ltd) in the space or the baggage areas.

Any heartburn over getting into a 2005 FJR? I've done some light reading - hear the cam chain tensioner probably needs attention if there are noises. Anything else to look for? I have 2 dealerships that have similar models with 45-50k on the clock on each.

I'm not looking for this bike to get me a ton of miles - however, 100k shouldn't be out of the question right? Also, the pricing of the bike is around 6k for each... does that sound like a deal, or should I push lower due to miles and/or condition? The one bike I've seen has some light scratches etc - looks like it's been dropped at one point etc.

Thanks!
If you have any concern over how many miles a properly maintained FJR can rack up, this thread in dire need of an update should alleviate those concerns. TL;DR, there's a guy in there who is at or about 350,000 miles on his FJR.

Price wise, I would be trying to score a better deal as 2005 is a Gen I bike and Yamaha is in its 2nd year of selling Gen IIIs. I bought my 2006 (Gen II) two years ago for $7k flat with under 20k miles on the odo; in pristine shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a lower miles 05 last year with 19K for 5800.00.

Two owner bike with all the heat treatment done,(thermal blanket under the tank, extra foam in the fairings)

The first gen bikes are considered warmer , I have not ridden a newer bike, so I have to default to the forum for that opinion.

That said, you can find some great deals on the early bikes , and find some with pretty low miles too.

You can do much better if you're a patient shopper.

I'd shoot for a GEN II, specifically a '08 or newer to take advantage of the incremental improvements to the platform.

Just my $.02

Happy hunting!

--G

With 45K on the clock, a few light scratches should be expected. What was it that leads you to believe it was dropped? Heck many of us here have dropped our fine gals a time or two, generally no big deal.

I can tell you, if you buy one of them, you should expect to exceed many more than a 100K on her. Quite a few of us have seen our bikes roll over 100K quite some time ago. It's an awesome bike, built like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking.

I also came from cruisers. I bought an '05 back in

'09 with 8k on the OD and it also had scratches. The scratches were the best thing for me as I tended to be a weekend rider who polished the bikes more than I rode them. I soon sold my Intruder and stayed with the FJR.

The bike has brought so many adventures into my life. She has a few more scratches now and 182k miles of experience.

I think you will enjoy your decision, should you decide to purchase an FJR. The bike will need some personal "Tweeking" or farkling as it is called, but farkle as needed.

Price will depend on the bikes extras, but a bone stock '05 should be had for 5k or less. Fly 'n

Ride is your friend.

. . . it just keeps on ticking.
Ah . . . couldn't you've picked another phrase?
unsure.png
tonguesmiley.gif

Bought my 06' in Sept with 4K miles for $6400. Bike was mostly stock. ABS is standard starting with the Gen II but you can get ABS on the Gen I. Some don't like ABS on a bike but I wanted it.

I paid 5000 for my '03 in '10 without bags. When I got it, it had 53,000 miles on it. I got used bags and it now has 113,000

Pay what you are willing to part with. Then, enjoy the ride.

O.P., the price for those '05s is high.

I have an '09 (black) with 72,700 miles, new tires going on it Friday, with CooCase s48, heated grips, grip puppies, Throttlemeister, frame sliders, RAM mount on the brake reservoir and clear headlight covers. TBS and valves were adjusted in 2012, engine oil, filter, and final drive oil just changed. This bike looks great and runs great - it just completed a SS1K last weekend and averaged 40-42 mpg, even running 70-85 mph most of the time with 2-up! All I want for this beast is $5,300.

For less money and from someone who cares about their bike I would buy this one :) And 4 years newer no brainer .

I have an '09 (black) with 72,700 miles, new tires going on it Friday, with CooCase s48, heated grips, grip puppies, Throttlemeister, frame sliders, RAM mount on the brake reservoir and clear headlight covers. TBS and valves were adjusted in 2012, engine oil, filter, and final drive oil just changed. This bike looks great and runs great - it just completed a SS1K last weekend and averaged 40-42 mpg, even running 70-85 mph most of the time with 2-up! All I want for this beast is $5,300

FJRs will go 150k and maybe even more. I have nearly 50k on my 09 and expect to get 150k. Many here consider 05 the prime year for FJR as it is the last year of the Gen 1. Look around on Cycle Trader for the going price on a 05 FJR - I am thinking more like 5k would be a good deal where 6k is average.

We have two 2005's for sale. Both have approx. 100,000 miles on them. Both have been taken care of extremely well. We have all maintenence records. Both have had the tensioner replaced. We will take $3,800 for each one.

I almost bought an '05, the deal fell through and I found an '06AE with 41K on the clock. I figured the GenII's had run a few years already, and there would be many interchangeable parts and accessories available.

Yeah; I agree the prices are high for as "generation old" as the bikes are. They're at dealerships though, and the current position I'm in I don't have cash - but will have any sort of loan paid off real quick on a used one.

I'm basically tossing the idea back and forth between a 2014 and any used ones I can find. I don't need one RIGHT NOW, but I've also not even ridden one yet. Just allured to the Yamaha brand - and from what I'm reading about all other machines that catch my eye, the FJR has the most power, the most creature comforts and the best reliability out of the group. I looked at a new CTX1300 last weekend - and boy is it sharp, but no ABS, weak windshield and lower power than I'd expect out of their 1261cc engine is a no go. Especially when I know the dealer isn't going to budge from MSRP of 17,500 on it. An FJR1300ES should run me less than that - assuming I could find one and get very decent financing....