Riser Plate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striker

Reaction score
I've got some birthday money and thought the first thing I might try to do to make my steed more comfortable for my 6'2" tall and 34" inseam frame would be the bar riser plate from Motorycycle Larry's - anybody got a slick way to get them cheaper than the $300 list price?

Find a used one for $200. I have one and would pay $300 if I hadn't found one here for $200.

OTOH, the German one has rave reviews and is a little cheaper I think.

wait OTOH = on the other hand doesn't it?
fool.gif

If you're talking about the one by MV Verholen - it doesn't sound like it's as tall and doesn't bring the bars as far back as Larry's does.

I've watched ebay for it from time to time, I guess I'll make a search alert for it; but I fear that something so good rarely comes back off a bike once it's been installed :)

I am the same 6'2" and 34" inseam. I just unloaded my MCL plate. YMMV, but it brought the bars too far back for my taste. Sitting bolt-upright is hard on the back....

I am the same 6'2" and 34" inseam. I just unloaded my MCL plate. YMMV, but it brought the bars too far back for my taste. Sitting bolt-upright is hard on the back....
It looked like it would still accommodate a forward, middle, and rear position like the stock bars do, and it sounded like it was generally recommended. I guess with as tall as it is, even the forward position was too far? Are you back to stock then or what did you do?

As it is I'm riding with the seat in the higher position and the stock bars pulled all the way back to try to get a more upright position because it still feels like I'm hunching down which hurts my back some.

Have you looked into the Heli-Bar Bridge riser? At $240 it is a pretty good deal. Just scroll down a few threads and read the thread discussing it, that may help you.

Thanks for pointing out your post red. I wish that I try them out before blowing all that cash.

I'd looked at the helibars but thought the MCL sounded a bit more solid, and not adding a brake line extension sounded good too. I'm kinda thinkin' I want the bars to come up a bit rather than so far back, which also points to the MCL ones. I don't think I have particularly short arms since I am 6'2". I just feel like I'm slouching to reach the bar, especially if I ever upgrade the saddle.

Here's a thought - are there any FJR rides scheduled somwhere? That'd be the best way to check out how different farkles people have before buying them.

I put the MCL riser plate on my 06 and love it. I am 6'1'', 32" inseam and I keep the bars in the middle hole. Eliminated the hunched over feeling and is a very sturdy piece of billet aluminum that seemed to reduce vibration and add stability to the forks. When you pull off the stock unit, you realize it's a thin cast piece of crap. Well worth the $300 and comes with the stem nut drilled for a ram ball which mounts my Garmin nicely.

Ed

I put the MCL riser plate on my 06 and love it. I am 6'1'', 32" inseam and I keep the bars in the middle hole. Eliminated the hunched over feeling and is a very sturdy piece of billet aluminum that seemed to reduce vibration and add stability to the forks. When you pull off the stock unit, you realize it's a thin cast piece of crap. Well worth the $300 and comes with the stem nut drilled for a ram ball which mounts my Garmin nicely.
Ed
thanks for the post!

I've started looking at the little $60 2 piece things with some trepidation - I think a single piece of billet, whichever fits best, just makes more sense.