Canyon cage install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Reaction score
A few weeks ago took the plunge and traded my 06 in on a new 2014 FJR1300A. I had actually ordered the Canyon Cages before I got the bike. Unfortunately they were on back order for quite some time. Today, they finally arrived. Although I think a few pictures would have been helpful in the instructions (there are no pictures) I found the instructions to be fairly straight forward after staring at them for awhile. The question I have is in regard to the bold print stating that this is a two man operation. I may be naïve, but it would appear that one person can do the job just fine. Yet, why do they suggest it? Is there something I should know here? Did anyone have a problem doing the install by themselves? Anything else I should be careful of in putting these babies on the bike?

Thanks,

-M

I installed a set a couple weeks ago by myself. I'm a 24 year helo mechanic and had to read it a couple times while looking at the bike and the hardware to see how it would all fit.

I laid out all the hardware and got the necessary tools and put everything on a towel on the floor of the side of the bike I was working on.

Lining everything up needs to be done gently as to not scratch anything. Thats the only reason for a 2nd person, but it's an easy 1 man job.

took 45 minutes or so while having a couple beers. Only real tip is to install everything before tightening up and to put masking tape and print on it of the removed parts before putting away as you'll never remember where they came from.

They look great on the bike, now I'm looking for highway pegs to mount on the cages.

Rivco has your highway pegs....

this is what the cages look like installed...

file_zpsb7e9cd98.jpg

file_zps9130ba8f.jpg

file_zps54af4120.jpg

file_zps0a90999a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very easy one person operation to install. I hope I never need them, but I think they look terrific on the bike. Well made, high quality construction. Very pleased. Highly recommend the product. Hopefully the saddlebag guards will be off backorder soon. Thanks for helpful comments , sorry for the double post.

Yes, I am.

I'm putting the rear bag guards on now. Got the fronts on already. The photos were priceless.

Hopefully the rear guards won't be in the way if two up riding.

How badly do the cages interfere with the oil change? The pics seem to show the vertical bar passing in front of the oil filler cap.

After 7 years with the ST1300 I am definitely looking forward to the straight forward oil changes on the FJR.

no problem changing the oil with the shorter oil filter and this old fart put the cages on himself.

Anyone else torque the front engine mounting bolts to 44 ft/lbs per the instructions? I installed the cages last night and did so. Now I'm reading elsewhere that the factory spec on those bolts is 35.....?

I torqued them to 35/lbs, left side first....when I hear 44/lbs on those engine mounts, I get goose bumps....
not_i.gif

Jeebus guys, learn how to snug it up tight by feel, lose the torque wrenches