OEM Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_in_CT

Reaction score
I got the dealer to toss in an OEM trunk on the '14 FJR I'm picking up tomorrow. Does anyone know how well (or poorly) the trunk handles the weight and stress of a passenger? I'm coming from a BMW where I had no concerns about this. The trunk would carry a couple spare helmets at most. My use for it would mainly be for passenger comfort.

Thanks!

I'd teach your passenger not to lean on the trunk regardless of what trunk you use. The OEM one is more prone to stress in my opinion, but I'd say get the Garauld stiffy kit.

Good luck getting more than one helmet in the factory case. Two size L RF1100's won't fit in mine, not even close.

Free is a great price for the OEM trunk...not a lot of capacity to work with. As others have mentioned, make sure the passenger doesn't lean on it and observe the weight limits and it works OK. Disregarding the weight limits could cause issues with the rear subframe.

YMMV

--G

The Yamaha Trunk , we call em a Top Box is a heap of Junk , I managed to break 3 of em 2 were the You Beaut strengthened Top Box the bloody things weigh 8kg empty and they tell you can only carry 5kg in them , they look big on the outside but only have a small hole .

You are getting it at the right price but that's all it worth , nuthin . Sell it to some sucker , better idea would be use it for target practice , then buy a Givi

As for not letting your pillion lean on em , well this is my theory , its best they do because there is a Bloke in our club and its the only thing that stops his wife falling of the bloody back . She climbs on the bike first , leans against the Top Box like a big bag of ( well you know ) then he get on ( bloody funny to watch ) their TB is good as new and its not even the strengthened one .

So unless the TB's have been changed since I had my 3 they are Junk

Best of luck regards , Jacko

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some funny $hit there! Also, I admit you made me think. It only hurt a little. So what is the best way for a man and his girl to get on an FJR with the TB mounted? Girl first or guy first. I'm serious! I'm not good at gymnastics.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a 'stiffy' yesterday. As for 'teaching' the passenger not to lean back... it's my wife of 28 years and as you should all know - I can't teach her a damn thing.

I have had no issues with my trunk on my 06. I load with whatever I need, but try to avoid the lead ingots. I make runs for Jack Daniels and wine in Greenville and can load a case of wine and a large bottle of JD in the side cases. Top case was too close to my wifes back (she is thin and tall) and bumped into her back as she does not normally lean on it. I added washers under the front part of the mount and it makes the trunk ride more level and gives a little more clearance for her. Worked great on the Beartooth Parkway.

D7K_6982.jpg