Fastener Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Was at a dealer the other day and noticed they had packages of fasteners for $6.99.

Was about a dozen in the pack.

I noticed they has 2 sizes, one was larger than the other.

Do we have 2 different size fasteners on the FJR? I only noticed the one larger size on my bike but didn't look all over.

There are a host of different fasteners on the FJR. What particular fasteners are you talking about?

There are a host of different fasteners on the FJR. What particular fasteners are you talking about?
Nothing specific, I just noticed them at the dealer and was going to buy a pack or 2 if I needed both sizes.

Guess I'll buy both.

The ones on the inside of the fairing seem to break a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing specific, I just noticed them at the dealer and was going to buy a pack or 2 if I needed both sizes.

Guess I'll buy both.

We are getting closer... So, you are talking about the plastic pin fasteners? (Plastic Rivets?)

Guess I'll buy both.

I bought a pack of one time use push ins for the connection of the two headlight adjustment panels to the center panel. I just cut them if I have to remove them and install new ones. I would do that with the side inner panels too if they were easier to get to.

Guess I'll buy both.

We are getting closer... So, you are talking about the plastic pin fasteners? (Plastic Rivets?)
Yes.

Why would you cut a push rivet rather than using the standard release method? Is having them break something any of you have experienced? I have never had one of these rivets break.

Mine have evaporated into thin air a time or two. They are available at auto part stores and on line for much less than Mother Yamaha charges. Sounds like SoCal's dealer is selling some aftermarket rivets... if so, then good for him.

I have knack for losing them little plastic rivets. I even managed to lose a couple on my trip out west last summer. Sad to say, them rascals is not cheap. Come to think of it, I'm starting to wonder why it was that after I left Zilla's place in Albuquerque that I noticed I had missing fasteners. Hmmm: wonder if that has something to do with them "extra" fasteners he seems to have just layin' around
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

I have knack for losing them little plastic rivets. I even managed to lose a couple on my trip out west last summer. Sad to say, them rascals is not cheap. Come to think of it, I'm starting to wonder why it was that after I left Zilla's place in Albuquerque that I noticed I had missing fasteners. Hmmm: wonder if that has something to do with them "extra" fasteners he seems to have just layin' around :)
Gary

darksider #44
You were "missing" them. You didn't "need" them. Nothing a zip tie won't usually fix.

Latest posts