PR3 Rear Tire WEIRD wear pattern

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenfeejeer

Reaction score
If this has been discussed before I can't find it...

Here are a couple photos of the PR3's I just took off my 03 Frankenbike. This was after 10,450 miles of all-season riding. I have to admit that overall, I've been very happy with these tires.

The concern I have is the wavy treadwear pattern, and I was interested in some of you smart folks' opinions. Is there something I need to set up differently with my suspension? Is it related to the riding I do? At over 300 lbs, am I just too fat for this bike?? Curious...

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
You got at 3000 more miles than I did out of a set. The tire wear is a function of the harder center tread and the cupping on the sidewall from accelration forces. Once it wears that far, the PR3 goes away very fast.

HRZ and I both went tire shopping in Oregon, after the PR3 tires went away fast.

RubenRun053.jpg

300 lbs is not too much for the bike. Many people carry a pillion and gear which adds up to a lot more.

Tire pressure can make a difference. In my experience more is better. I run my tires at 41 rear and 39 front.

I have not had good experiences with PR3 tires and they have worn unevenly. I think the tread pattern and sipes are the problem. I switched back to PR2s for that reason, and some other things I did not like.

300 lbs is not too much for the bike. Many people carry a pillion and gear which adds up to a lot more.
Tire pressure can make a difference. In my experience more is better. I run my tires at 41 rear and 39 front.

I have not had good experiences with PR3 tires and they have worn unevenly. I think the tread pattern and sipes are the problem. I switched back to PR2s for that reason, and some other things I did not like.
I just put a set of the PR2's on the bike after reading nothing but good things about them here. Looking forward to seeing how they do mileage and wear wise...

ps: I was just kidding about the weight. Thanks though...

You got at 3000 more miles than I did out of a set. The tire wear is a function of the harder center tread and the cupping on the sidewall from accelration forces. Once it wears that far, the PR3 goes away very fast.
Only 8k miles out of the first set I had on the bike. I didn't notice the same wear pattern on those, but I had the dealership change those out for me.

I went back to a PR2 as well. Bad experience with the front PR3. I know that does not apply directly to what was happening with your PR3 rear tire, but thought I'd pitch in. I just don't like PR3's. That thing shook from day one. We even rebalanced it at the dealer. No change. Several thousand miles later, I switched it out for a PR2, and all the shaking stopped immediately. I'm done with PR3's. Can't say enough about my Michelin Pilot Exalto rear tire with 32k miles on it thus far, but that's another story for another thread.

Gary

darksider #44

Hey there,

Nothing to get worked up about. This is what happens when round-profile tires meet flat pavement for over 10,000 miles, the vast majority of those miles in a relatively straight line.

Sure, you have some nice wear from many good corners on there, but that's still a lot of miles, and corners just aren't that close together over that many miles.

Unless you spend significant time on a racetrack-like series of roads, this is what happens.

All the best,

Shane

10,000 miles out of the rear is great. Looks like you have a flat center - much less wear on the sides due to lots of slab riding perhaps?

I went back to a PR2 as well. Bad experience with the front PR3. I know that does not apply directly to what was happening with your PR3 rear tire, but thought I'd pitch in. I just don't like PR3's. That thing shook from day one. We even rebalanced it at the dealer. No change. Several thousand miles later, I switched it out for a PR3, and all the shaking stopped immediately. I'm done with PR3's. Can't say enough about my Michelin Pilot Exalto rear tire with 32k miles on it thus far, but that's another story for another thread.
Gary

darksider #44
I've been super tempted to go this route, just haven't taken the plunge...

Hey there,
Nothing to get worked up about. This is what happens when round-profile tires meet flat pavement for over 10,000 miles, the vast majority of those miles in a relatively straight line.

Sure, you have some nice wear from many good corners on there, but that's still a lot of miles, and corners just aren't that close together over that many miles.

Unless you spend significant time on a racetrack-like series of roads, this is what happens.

All the best,

Shane
I suppose this should be expected from a tire I ride daily; rain, sun, wind, snow, etc.

Maybe track time for a different bike...

Looks very similar to a take-off PR3 that I recently used up...more twisties, less slab!
smile.png

--G
I try. But it's usually the same 100 miles every day.

Well it seems that you already know the answer to the flattened center section.

The scalloped side tread is a function of several factors, but the reason the edges of some of the tread blocks are more worn than others is that while the bike is leaned over cornering, those tread blocks are flexing due to the lateral forces. You can reduce the flexing somewhat by not cornering hard (not likely) or increased tire pressure, but that will reduce the tire's temperature and affect your tire's grip of the road.

Your new PR2 will also wear that way on the sides with the same kind of riding. Every one of mine has (there have been a few), but I do not usually have to replace them until between 9 and 10k miles, so I'm fine with that.

My son-in-law just Tom tried to buy a set of PR2s for his Honda this week. They were out of stock and the distributor said that he could no longer get them. Tom went with PR4s. If the distributor has the straight scoop then it looks like the only PR2s left are the ones already in the supply chain.

Michelin still lists PR2s as being available on their own web site. I also see lots of online retailers still have good stock in them.

Might be that Tucker Rocky (the accessory supplier to the vast majority of brick and mortar bike shops) may not want to carry them any more.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Geezer" data-cid="1139628" data-time="1397484056"><p>

My son-in-law just Tom tried to buy a set of PR2s for his Honda this week. They were out of stock and the distributor said that he could no longer get them. Tom went with PR4s. If the distributor has the straight scoop then it looks like the only PR2s left are the ones already in the supply chain. </p></blockquote>

Amazon. $153 for the rear, $115 for the front, free delivery with Prime.

Bump your tire pressures up to 40-41 front and 42-44 rear and you'll have better wear due to less heat build-up.
Purdie much ^THIS^ OP didn't say wut psi he's run'in.but that tire wear looks like it's too low ta me.

Great thread, I've talked to a lotta peeps that told me how great the PRIIIs, r 'n after run'in many sets of PRIIs I tried and hated 'em!
grrr.gif

They seemed to turn in much slower, felt "less planted," and I had mah 1st ever crash on radial tire w/ 'em totally mah beloved '07.

611_2_zpsd0a883b0.jpg

I bought another '07 and it came with 023s which seemed purdie good to me, so when it came time to replace 'em, I found T30 GT spec for $224 a set. https://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_82_1078

After 'bout 700 mi. I'm quite pleased with 'em.

I had similar tread wear on some Dunlops on my Buell. Bump up tire pressure 1 or 2 pounds and it largely eliminated this.