Hang your hard bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJet09

Nondescript FJR Hierarchy Displayed
Reaction score
I only seem to use my side cases for traveling as my top case is better suited for daily commuting, so I needed a place to store them where they wouldn't get damaged. Also, my garage is a bit tight and it's nice to not have them on the bike getting rubbed against daily. I found a piece of aluminum U-channel I saved from an old shower door and put it to good use.

yk1t.jpg

htfy.jpg

The channel is 1" tall by 1.5" deep. I drilled holes in the face large enough to clear the heads of the mounting screws. Easy breezy. The door casing on the left and water tank on the right keep the bags from sliding off (not that they would anyway), but you could use a bolt as a stop instead.

I've was sitting in my garage today trying to figure out where to store them where they won't get damaged, this is perfect! Plus, I have some new wall art. thanks.

I don't use mine a lot either, but I never take them off, unless the bike's getting a bath. They're not in the way, and I guess I really like having them on. Hey, if nothing more, they prevent the FJR from looking too much like a crotch rocket. Like your idea, seems like a great place to keep em. Hopefully they don't get knocked off if somebody accidentally bangs into them??

Gary

That's really clever. Mine are off whenever the bike's parked, as space in the garage is at a premium. They live in a closet in laundry bags, but this would work great, if I can find enough wall space. Thanks!

My bags are always on the bike. I think it looks waaay better with them on. Jmho. I have taken them off every once in a while. It rides like a completely different bike. I like it but, I like it more with them on. :)

Great idea to get them off the floor. I would suggest that you use some padding where the bag hooks meet the (sharp) edge of the aluminum channel. If the plastic gets scored, even a little bit, it could weaken the hooks substantially.

Great idea to get them off the floor. I would suggest that you use some padding where the bag hooks meet the (sharp) edge of the aluminum channel. If the plastic gets scored, even a little bit, it could weaken the hooks substantially.
Good idea, something like door edge guards available at your local auto parts store should work well.

Yep, good point and idea. The channel I used is nice and smooth along that edge, probably because it's from a shower door track so I'm not too worried, but it doesn't hurt to minimize the risk anyway. I'm pretty sure I have some door edging laying around somewhere.

Pretty clever! If I ever took my bags off, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe I'll be able to find a similar method for hanging my top case on the wall...it pretty much just goes on my bike for the yearly 2-3 week trip, then I store it the rest of the year.