Braking Technique

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
Guys,

I recently went from my trusty gen 1 to a purty red 2014. I understand how ABS/UBS works technically, I'm not sure what the proper technique should be.

On my gen 1, non-ABS, I rarely used the rear brake at all. I had steel brake lines and good pads - normal (99%) of braking is two fingers on the front brake alone. The rear brake is always covered and ready - and I was easily able to incorporate it instantly in the remaining 1% of times that I wanted more stopping power. I dare say I got pretty good at it.

So with ABS/UBS do you guys use both brakes all of the time? Is it still a 60/40 braking power distribution front/back? Any different technique between "normal" and "whoa Nellie" types of braking?
sleepy.gif

Thanks!

Glad you made it this long, Kev. I pulled out Lee Parks' book to make sure I gave you a good answer (Total Control--High Performance Street Riding Techniques). Maybe pick up a copy. He and his staff of instructors give excellent classes all over the country.

For sure, most of the braking power is in the front brake--from 70 to 90% depending on the bike and conditions, per LP. So why bother to use the rear at all? Here are a few highlights from the four pages or so on braking from the book:

* Using both brakes will result in the shortest stopping distance.

* Applying both brakes simultaneously will help stabilize the chassis and keep it from pitching forward too quickly. The less the suspension is settled, especially in a turn, the less traction you'll have.

* When using the brakes, be sure not to apply them too quickly. (causes skidding, front-end dive and instability) When applying the brakes in a panic stop, force yourself to limit the amount of pressure you're exerting.

Overall, he's saying

1. Use both brakes.

2. Do it smoothly and steadily (both applying and releasing the brakes). Smoothness and balance in the throttle/brake transition leaves the largest amount of suspension travel available when entering a turn.

3. PRACTICE high speed or "panic" stops. "In a panic situation, your body reacts by doing only what it's used to doing . . . Only by practicing good technique on a regular basis will it become second nature to you and therefore be available when you need it most."

I agree with most of SM's post particularly the bit about practice. I do it every time I go for a ride. Make sure the road is clear behind you then select a spot (road sign etc) as your braking point and then try to stop in the minimum possible distance, even on wet roads. The technique I was taught was to apply a little pressure on the front brake only until the suspension settles then continue to increase the pressure until you are maxxed out. This should be one continuous movement. I have never skidded or engaged the ABS but I can stop very quickly........... The only time I use the rear brake is at speeds below about 20 mph, usually in traffic. YMMV

I had to find wet leaves to play with the ABS.

I do remember reading something about the linked brakes on the FJR specifically. Something about not waiting until you loaded the front before you applied the back. Eh, I dunno, I use both all the time. Was taught like that.

I would say there's no difference in use of the brakes. ABS does not change the performance of the brakes or the balance of the bike in any way. The ONLY thing ABS changes is automatically releasing a wheel when it locks up, or in a perfect world, when it's just about to lock up.

Ignoring the effects of ABS for a moment: There are 4 slaved pistons in the 2 front brake calipers. 3 of them are controlled by the front brake lever. The lower right piston, along with the rear brake, is controlled by the rear pedal. Use of the front lever without including the rear pedal only operates 1/2 of the available stopping force of the right front disk/pad system. So in essence you're using mostly the left front disk, as opposed to both equally.

Linked or not or different bikes or whatever...you should learn to use both front and rear brakes and especially on a 600+ lb FJR. For all braking - the front is your primary then feed in rear to keep the suspension sorted out. Do it all the time and it will become second nature.

As for technique.

For a full blown panic stop (or, I've never hit anything slow enough).

Slide your ass back. bend your torso - get as low as possible (this also keeps your arms bent and keeps you from transfering ALL your body weight through your arms to handlebars). This is especially true on short wheelbase/tall bikes (sport bikes, dual sports). This according to Lee Parks, Total Control Level 2. It works. I was so glad to find that somebody actually TAUGHT panic braking instead of just theory.

Believe me, the FJR will stop hard enough, to detach the retinas from your eyes.

I never use my rear brake above about 20mph. I have braked so hard on my previous sportbikes, that the rear wheel actually comes off the ground. The rear brake does not do much in that case. I have also seen people apply the rear brake coming too hot into a turn and slide the rear, and then highside. Unless you are riding at the limit, using the rear brake is fine. I prefer not to use it much, but old habbits are hard to brake, er break.

I use both brakes except when trail braking. I've never encountered any episode where the FJR's rear wants to lift off under hard braking. It gets light, but that's about it when both brakes are used...at least in my experience. To be honest, it's a bit thrilling.

I had an ABS governed hard stop a few months back when an old lady in a minivan turned left in front of me on a country two lane road. She had waited for a while, but apparently grew impatient (traffic was stacking behind her) and cut right in front of me at the last moment. I did a full on hard brake, clicking the ABS on both front and rear. The old lady realized her mistake halfway through the turn and stopped on my side of the road mid-turn. We ended up within 20 feet or so of each other. The bike was absolutely solid; I felt like checking my drawers.

Last edited by a moderator:
All terrific advice, thanks. For not having barely used the rear brake at speed in forever, I think I need to re-learn it for normal braking if only for the unified part.

Now, never having had an ABS before, for straight-up panic stop get into position as Bungie describes, simultaneously grab both brakes for all they are worth (that will take some mental power), and continue to steer - is that it? Yes, I need to practice but I need to understand the theory.

Lee Parks gives some really excellent advise on this!

For my 2c

Even when everything is turning to custard, the car is pulling out in front of you on a wet road covered in leaves DON'T PANIC! Panic is, by definition, uncontrolled and at that moment you need Total Control. I tend to use Max Effort stop because it is stopping with the maximum of effort, not a panic.

Also, practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent. So make sure you practice a good braking method when you do. It is a good idea to go on an instructor led course every 12 months or so (we have government subsidized ones here). The instructor should be able to assist to improve your technique. They can be a lot of fun with mates or you can meet new ones.

Then every couple of months meet up with a group of friends in an empty car park and practice the same.

As far as technique I would also like to add to Lee's instructions:

• LOOK UP! We all know you go where you look. It is natural to look down but if you do so that is where you will end up. You will also be in a much better position to plan an escape route.
  • Pull the clutch in with the front brake.
  • If you can stomp down a few gears, you may need to get out of Dodge so be in the right gear to do so. (however we all know the FJR will pull from anywhere in top ;-)
  • Contre to popular belief you can stop quickly on a bend - it just takes more care.

Learned to ride on 60's vintage Triumph's with not so good disc brakes. Caused me to develop a good understanding and techniques for using both brakes almost all the time except parking lot speeds. Already good advice here but I suggest using both brakes on the FJR increases brake pad life as the load is shared by all the brake pads. Did one full ABS stop becuase of a car turning in front of me, was amazed at the skid free stopping power of the FJR.

I frequently engage the ABS on the rear brake (Gen I) but I am also engaging the fronts hard. The ABS lets you over-engage the brakes without losng control or stability. If you need to stop, grap a handful of brake and stop. It's a good thing to practice, but with modern ABS brakes, it's not easy to modulate the brakes in a way that is going to pull down speed faster and safer than relying on the ABS function. Learn to use them, front and rear, so you don't back off when you need to stop NOW. Don't be afraid of the click or pulse of the ABS. I have never had the ABS put me in a skid, but I don't do this in a sharp curve on wet pavement.

From a braking clinic I attended Bungie has best outlined the technique. It is important to not upset the suspension. Use both brakes by applying the pressure evenly, elbows bent and pointing downward. Keep your butt planted and lean forward.

Guys,
I recently went from my trusty gen 1 to a purty red 2014. I understand how ABS/UBS works technically, I'm not sure what the proper technique should be.

On my gen 1, non-ABS, I rarely used the rear brake at all. I had steel brake lines and good pads - normal (99%) of braking is two fingers on the front brake alone. The rear brake is always covered and ready - and I was easily able to incorporate it instantly in the remaining 1% of times that I wanted more stopping power. I dare say I got pretty good at it.

So with ABS/UBS do you guys use both brakes all of the time? Is it still a 60/40 braking power distribution front/back? Any different technique between "normal" and "whoa Nellie" types of braking?
sleepy.gif

Thanks!
Yeah, come'in from an FZ1 where the rear wuz real light, (Or off the ground?
punk.gif
) under hard brake'in, I purdie much just used the front brakes too. ('cept in the dirt, rain, or when mah wife/sister wuz on back) Butt w/ the gen II linked abs, I learned ta use the rear brake again, and it really gives ya a lot mor brake'in power. I did a 600 mi. loop last weekend w/ nice clean sweepers, dirty sweepers, goat trails, 'n sum slab'in, and wuz think'in 'bout all the different brake'in techniques I use.

When trash'in goat trails, I mostly just use the rear, cuz then I don't have ta worry 'bout lose'in the front, (As much) 'n the bike feels like it sucks down on the road.

On clean twisties, I'll just use a little front brake ta help the bike turn in. Butt if ya need ta stop in a hurry, just mash the rear!
tonguesmiley.gif

Practice applying the front while mash'in the rear on sum clean empty road.

Now, never having had an ABS before, for straight-up panic stop get into position as Bungie describes, simultaneously grab both brakes for all they are worth (that will take some mental power), and continue to steer - is that it? Yes, I need to practice but I need to understand the theory.
Have you driven a car with ABS? Same deal. The ABS system doesn't really do anything except mitigate a complete lock-up, instead going into a "pulsing" modulation. Get as straight-up as the circumstances allow, brake hard, look where you want to go, and don't be surprised when it feels like someone is pulling you over the front of the bike like one of the Hanson brothers on an opponent's jersey. The farther back you can keep your weight the more the rear brake can contribute to the stopping power.

Oh, and keep in mind that ABS won't really do anything to prevent a low-side.

On the linked braking system you will loose 25% of your front braking power if you do not use both the front and rear brakes. Under most situations, it doesn't matter much. In a panic situtation hitting the rear brake first then adding a smooth progressive application of the front brake will keep it from diving excessively, and give you maximum controled braking. Once you're under full braking, you want to continue using the rear brake because it also gives a significant amount of your front brake power.

The problem with using the rear brake is most people in a panic situation will use it too much and slide, even with practice.

The hand has more "feel" and control than the foot........most people will overuse the rear.

I rarely use the rear, only for some slight trail breaking, besides the front brake on my FJR is the best front brakes I've ever had on ANY cycle, they stop excellent IMOP.