Quick "stutter" problem under acceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
I suspect this might be a nerpt issue, but my many searches have not turned up an example/answer that matches my symptoms. When accelerating under load in 1st/2nd gear, I occasionally get a brief "stutter". Not sure if that's the best word to describe it or not. It's like power cuts out for a split second then comes right back on. Only happens under hard acceleration. Slower acceleration, even at higher rpms, it doesn't happen, and it only has happened in 1st/2nd. Any ideas?

..........hmmmm, could be the beginnings of popping out of gear.........
uhoh.gif
that is a classic description of when the problem is just beginning

uhoh.gif
I don't like that idea, sounds too expensive. Next?

Edit: Oh dangit. That put me on the right track for searching forum threads. Seems like you might have nailed it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
uhoh.gif

laugh.png
Loose wire on your battery. That only vibrates under hard acceleration in 2nd gear. It is inexpensive to check and there is some possibility that it could be true. Generally things that are abruptly intermittent are electrical, or mechanical, things that bog, sag and waver are usually fuel or vacuum.

uhoh.gif

laugh.png
Loose wire on your battery. That only vibrates under hard acceleration in 2nd gear. It is inexpensive to check and there is some possibility that it could be true. Generally things that are abruptly intermittent are electrical, or mechanical things that bog, sag and waver are fuel or vacuum.
See my edit above: "Edit: Oh dangit. That put me on the right track for searching forum threads. Seems like you might have nailed it.
sad.png
"

Pretty sure battery cables are tight, but will double check them. Sadly, I think this is going to be the more expensive problem.

I had a similar experience recently, main symptom was erratic and low idle but also had the stutter on acceleration. It went away after I installed new plugs. I was surprised at how good the old iridiums looked but I didn't put them back in to see if they really were the problem, I was just glad it was gone.

Latest posts