2014 ES Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShep

Reaction score
New guy here still trying to figure forum out. Just took my 2014 ES in for 600 mile service. I have been surprised at how stiff the front forks are. Even with dampening setting at full soft I feel an awful lot of the small stuff. Is this just the new forks being tight and do they loosen up with use? I asked the service manager if we could lighten up the oil in the left leg as it is the compression leg. He politly told me that was a stupid idea as he thinks the dampenening is too soft. I like to glide down the straight roads and then go to full hard on the dampening on the twisties once I finally get there. One of the problems of getting old.

Anyone else feel the same? Am I just bringing up old news and if I am how do I search for prior threads about this topic?

Thanks

This "problem" has been mentioned by one other member and certainly is not what most are reporting about the forks in the soft setting . I suggested that he verify the damping motor was working correctly and/or that the damper rod was not stuck in the fully extended (hard) position.

I have noted the same issue in my write up on the Aussie Forum

If anything the compression dampening is still too hard even of the softest settings.
It may be better 2 up riding but I'll think about changing out to a thinner fork oil on the compression fork to please my guts.
I'll leave it for the time being.

I don't think it's an issue to worry about just yet until I get a few more thousand Kms on the bike.

I don't have any info on the Gen 3 ES forks, but if a service manager ever told me that anything I said to him was stupid, I would politely tell him to go fuck himself and take my bike away never to be seen by such an asswad again. What a jerk.

Thanks for the input. I think the damper motor is working as there is a minor difference between full hard and full soft. I'll give it a thousand miles or so to loosen up. If no change I will go with a lighter fork oil. I have had to do this in my dirt bikes as well. I don't need a lot of compression dampening in the dirt as I am a trail rider and not a motocrosser. On the street I am not too worried about hitting a chuck hole at 90 MPH in a down hill sweeper and upsetting the bike as I don't plan on that either. Regarding the service manager he is not a bad guy he is just too passionate about his viewpoint. We don't all ride balls to the wall. I did my share of that 40 years ago. Now I want to have some fun but not get hurt.

Not sure if the new fork oil is the same stuff that Yammie puts in the older bikes, but if it is, it's seriously thin stuff ALL READY. Just a thought: when ya go to a doctor and he gives you a diagnosis that you find a little odd, how long do you think you should wait to get a second opinion? Do you wait for another couple months? Ya have to ask yourself, just how much experience does your dealer have with these forks? How many other 2014 FJR ES's have they sold and/or ridden? Maybe you ought to take a ride over to another dealer that you think you can trust and have 'em take it for a a ride. What do ya think?

Gary

darksider #44

ps: almost forgot, welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress. Everything you discuss here becomes part of the larger data base that we all use to learn more about these amazing machines.

Last edited by a moderator: