From East Seattle to Portland, OR avoiding I-5 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm taking a new rider down to Portland and back the weekend of April 19 / 20. She's only done local trips so far, 20 miles max on back roads like 202 and 203.

I'm looking for suggestions for an easy route (so probably not over Rainier and down the back of Mt St Helens) with a few nice places to stop for coffee, lunch etc. to break the miles. We will be starting from Sammamish / Issaquah area. I'll be riding my FJR and she'll either be on my Honda VFR Interceptor or on her own Triumph Bonneville 800. Her Bonne has no weather protection or luggage - just naked ... so I'm hoping she opts for the Interceptor but leting her choose.

Thanks for suggestions of roads and places to stop,

Riona

Maybe I90 to Ellensburg then the Canyon road to Yakima. From there 97 to Goldendale and 142 to the Columbia and 14 towards Portland. Portland is big so a local can direct you from there.

Perhaps a hop-scotch route down 167 / 161 and 7, then secondary roads paralleling I-5 until you get to Longview. Cross the river there and then continue south on 30 into PDX. Be a long day, but you'll get to see some nice country!

Good luck.

--G

Would you like to stay off the I-5? You can ride all the way form Enumclaw to Vancouver and never get on the freeway. I could send you directions.

Gonna second FJRay's route suggestion with a twist. Instead of picking up Blewett Pass I97 South, keep going to Sunnyside/Mabton, then head southwest through Bickleton until you run back into 97 at Goldendale. Absolutely phenomenal ride.

Here is the route (with the fun little detour on old Hwy 10 near Cle Elum):

https://binged.it/1gz65g6

Gas up at Ellensburg before you begin Yakima Canyon, then perhaps again at Sunnyside, then once more in Goldendale. The PNW crew did this route coming home from FJRay's Reuben Run, and man was it a blast going down through Bickleton. Stop by the Bluebird Café for a tasty burger and pie. The last stretch on 142 is just pure bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys ... turning a 200 mile journey into a 350 mile one --- fine for me on the FJR but I did mention that the lady I'm riding with has only ever gone 20 miles at a stretch up to now ..

I was thinking more of BluFJR's suggestion of paralleling I-5 but on some quieter roads ... BluFJR - directions please !

Riona -- If you're planning on doing this 20 miles at a time, it's going to be a long day...perhaps as JamesW suggested too much trip right now.

Just my $.02

--G

Or... send the other gal on the train to Portland and enjoy the ride. Stopping every 20 miles? Is she on a Harley by chance?

Is there something special in Portland? I would break her in with a local ride, Whidbey Is, Bainbridge Is, La Conner to see the Tulips.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ahchiu" data-cid="1140237" data-time="1397663095"><p>

Is there something special in Portland? I would break her in with a local ride, Whidbey Is, Bainbridge Is, La Conner to see the Tulips. </p></blockquote>

We are going down for the Cirque De Soleil show - so yes, there is something specific in Portland.

With the weather iffy, we might just go by cage and save the long ride for later in the Spring

What about finding the annual STP (Seattle To Portland bicycle ride) route. Seems it is all side and backroads?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be so late to the party, but Issaquah, Enumclaw, Morton, Longview, Portland would do the trick.

I get the right route from Google just connecting those five towns in four legs with "no freeways" checked.

And yes, I've ridden most of the route, and driven the rest. I live 3/4 mile off the route, between Enumclaw and Morton, and have a son going to Reed, in Portland. These are my stomping grounds.

Again, I know this is too late for the original trip, but maybe later, once your friend has more experience.

Good luck!