First Flat - Ridin with a flat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShep

Reaction score
Pretty excited to take my new ES in for its 600 mile service. They were to install my new Helibar handlebar bridge. I had just installed a Cal Sci extra tall extra wide windscreen with the rake kit and loved it. At about 60 MPH on a straight section something changed with the bike nothing dramatic but not good. I pulled over to find the rear tire completely flat and the tire bead was no longer seated to the rim. The bike was still pretty stable so I continued on the ten miles to the dealer. I averaged about 30mph on the side of the road with only modest wallowing. I had to stop a couple of times as the tire was getting pretty hot. I don't know what I hit but there were two holes in the tire. One in the tread and the other in the side wall. You could see through the hole in the side wall. Got me thinking how far some folks have ridden with a flat. The only problem now is the pretty new michelin in the back makes the batalax up front look a little drab.

You rode about 30mph for about 10 miles with the tire not even seated on the rim? You sure?

Don't see how you could have made it that far at that speed, without screwing up the wheel, lucky man you are!

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeShep, That's one hell of a story. I would have to see this to believe it. Ten miles on a completely flat rear motorcycle tire bead broken should have resulted in a fire and a destroyed wheel. If that tire had caught on fire you would be shopping for a new bike.

One time I tried to make less than a mile on a flat and the tire came completely off the rim...

Joe

Again, welcome to the forum. Why did you not call someone to come patch the tire? Or perhaps tow the bike? Some might argue that you did a foolish thing riding that bike that far... but there's no question that if you indeed have no rim damage you are a very lucky man. Do you have any idea what those rims cost? With that kind of luck you ought to move to Las Vegas. Then you'll not only be lucky, you'll be rich. Do yourself a favor: get some sticky string and a small compressor and carry them with you always. This forum has lots of advice about these products. Mention to a couple retired friends (who tend to be available much more often than the rest of us working stiffs) that someday over the rainbow if ya ever need a tow... maybe they could help out?

Being prepared for disaster usually enables one to avoid it.

Promise: no more horror stories like this one??? We'd like to keep you around for awhile.

Gary

darksider #44

PS. Forgot to ask, you did put a new PR2 on the back, right?

While I agree you should keep flat repair with you on the bike, there are times when it can't be patched roadside. This sounds like one of them. I had one a few years back, as well. In these cases you really are better off arranging to have the bike carted to somewhere where it can be dealt with. In my case I was on my way home and called a neighbor to load it on his pickup.

How far on a flat have I gone? About 5 feet to get it off the road to a safe place to repair it and/or have it towed. You're a lucky boy, but please follow the advice posted above and don't think it'll work like that again with the same results.

I rode a couple of hundred miles on a back tire that was low. It was down below 20 PSI but not completely flat. It felt like a tractor but I had been on the road for a couple of weeks and was tired and just not thinking about why the bike was handling so poorly. I realized what it was the next morning after a good night's sleep. A sticky string and some air made a big difference.
rolleyes.gif

One time I did have a flat while riding and was able to crawl about a half mile to a parking lot, but that involved some clutch slipping and moving a hundred yards between stops. You were very lucky if you were able to go for miles on a flat. Also, you are lucky that the rim didn't get destroyed.

I love it when someone new shows up with an outrageous tale to challenge the collective experience.... No reason not to believe what he's saying.

I think the key thing is he was just taking the bike in for the first service--so that tire was basically brand new. There must have been enough rubber and stiffness in the tire carcass to make it work. If you knew you could ride it to a dealer and the tire was FUBAR anyway.... risky move but nice result.

So... there was this one time (at band camp) when my primo' 1974 Yamaha DT125 enduro's tire blew out...

Well really it was just the tube that blew out, not the tire, 'cause that's what they had blowin' out back then.

But, well... I didn't realize that the tire was flat because we had been herfin' up some most excellent sensimilla while diggin' on the latest underground VanHalen release before hand... so I rode on for another couple of hours on that flat tire. Or maybe it was just a few minutes, but it seemed like a few hours. Anyway, all of a sudden.... I woke up and it was the next morning, and I realized that I didn't even own a DT-125.

Yes it was all... just my imagination, once again, running away with me. Oh tell you, just my 'magination, running away with me.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will get some sticky string but it wouldn't have done the job on this flat as the holes were just too darn big. I was just surprised how stable everything was riding with the flat. I would get a little wallow everytime I crossed the white line going between the road way and the shoulder but other than that it felt pretty good. I did stop and feel the tire a few times to make sure it was not too hot to touch and let it cool down if need because it smelled hot. Burnin down the bike would make for a real bad day. And yes the rim was fine, but the tire was pretty trashed.

I have had to ride a few times on flat tire with a dirt bike but it is so much lighter it is really no big deal. I guess I could have put it on the center stand and pulled off the rear wheel but for some reason it never occured to me. I just thought of a tow truck trying pick up all that nice body work and messing it up. Felt I would rather take my chances riding it. I guess I don't do my best thinking first thing in the morning.

Joe...glad you were safe and everything worked out...next time don't risk it...

Seems as if every time I get a new set of tires I get a flat. . . I love the sticky string stuff.

Am I the only one this happens to?