Engine warning light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
So, I'm coming home from Austin MotoGP about 200miles from home, doing about 80mph and I see the engine warning light come on. It stays on until I find a place to pull over. As I decelerate it goes off. I shut it down, check the oil sight glass, good. It was running fine and at normal temp. Can't see anything wrong. Turn on the key and the everything comes on as normal. The warning light comes on then goes off as normal. bike starts fine and No more problems with light. What was going on? anyone have an educated guess or advise for me?

Was it the warning light or the low oil light?

If it was the warning light then you should be able to pull a code by going into DIAG mode. I don't remember how off hand, but the procedure is posted in the forum.

If it was the low oil light, then it seems that the float is not adjusted exactly the same on each FJR. For example, my '05 will light up the oil light when the oil is in the center of the sight glass. Since I use a little oil between changes I usually fill to the top of the glass and then ignore it unless the light comes on.

It was the "engine warning light" and a search using the same words as this topic title didn't come up with anything helpful. I was looking for the diagnostic thread but it didn't turn up. I'll keep trying, I should stumble across it if I keep trying different words in the search box. Thanks. The service manual isn't much help unless I know where to look, it doesn't have an index for specific topics like this.

So after the post above I go and search "engine diagnostic" and it gives me one post, the one I just posted above.

How's your air filter and your plugs? I've had mine come on twice. First was in high winds and needing a plug change. after the plug change, all was normal. Came on again last April; high winds, and needing a filter change. Hasn't come on since. I mention the wind cuz both times it was pulling pretty hard against the winds, and not in optimal running condition because of maintenance issues. I never looked for any codes.

Yeah, the forum search function is not very good. You need to use Google or something else.

Anyway, I found the procedure in the bin o facts. You have to scroll down quite a ways, but it's in there. Let us know what you find.

Much thanks, To say I was pulling against the wind is putting it mildly. Tough ride home this time. Spring in the "wild, wild west"

I am not currently running a Power Commander but when I had the PCIII on the bike, the warning light would come on from time to time. It did throw a diagnostic code but I don't remember which one - had to do with fueling. No issues with operation. I ended out removing the PC three years ago and this has not popped up since then. While the PC did improve throttle behavior, I didn't care for the significant decrease in mileage.

Edit: Code 31 or 32 maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross has the likely codes and good tip about a PCIII.

Code 24: O2 sensor (pretty much ignore this unless you start getting this code often)

Code 31: A/F ratio lean

Code 32: A/F ratio rich

diAG 61: code history

diAG 62: clear code history

Last edited by a moderator:
Found fault codes 12, 14, and 32. Don't really understand the code descriptions in the service manual. Cleared them and will see if they return. No problems noticed since then.

Code 12, crankshaft position sensor, looks like the more serious issue. I wonder if you have a corroded ground or loose connector somewhere that is giving false information to the ECU.