California Only! Pass the Word on Lane Splitting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
It's not really ride planning, but it's definitely region (state) specific. Our state Office of Traffic Safety conducted a survey and found that less than half of car drivers even know lane splitting is legal here. Seven percent admitted to having intentionally blocked or tried to intimidate lane-splitting riders with their car! (Can we please avoid a debate about whether it's "splitting" or "sharing?" The CHP uses the term "lane splitting.")

In order to pass the word, I'm thinking about ordering some adhesive vinyl bumper stickers with the message: "Lane Splitting is LEGAL in CA"

I can't seem to copy the image here but this link shows my design. If anybody would like one for your bikes or cars I'd like to know, since I have to order 25 or more and I'd just as soon do it only once. I don't really want to eat the whole cost of a run of these, but if I knew there was interest I'd order enough for any Cali guys who want them. I would ask you to send me a couple bucks for each to break even on costs. Please post up so I can decide whether to order. Thanks.

https://designer.realtimedesigner.com/stickersbanners/index.php&tng=JmN0aWNfZGlyZWN0PWltYWdlcy80NTQvdXNlcl9kZXNpZ25zLzMvMjMxNTI3L2Rlc2lnbi50bmc=

Just this afternoon I finished reading this month's AMA's Motorcyclist mag which has a two page article on your state's laws regarding lane splitting. Couldn't get a link to post though. That issue also includes a nice cross-country ride report done on a FJR btw.

Hey! I'd post it on my top-case in PA. These assholes doen't try to "block" you, they'd just as soon you're dead and run you over.

Good message and the whole country should know. Add small sub-title: 'I won't slow you down, DON'T FUCK WITH ME"

I'd be down for a few of those. Of course the type who deliberately give us "the pinch" won't give a sh*t, but maybe a few of the merely ignorant can be reached.

I'll take a couple as well. Bravo on a good design that gets the message across. If it would make any difference, might consider adding "No Pinching" somewhere on that sticker, but sadly the totally clueless wouldn't get that either.

I sure did enjoy the little bit of lane splitting I did while I was visiting your fine state. I'd forgotten that it even took place, but I saw it first hand dozens of times while negotiating traffic jams. Finally I got brave and did a little of my own. Sure is great when ya DON'T have to sit in traffic jams sweltering in the miserable sun and heat while yer surrounded by cages and there's no where to go. In every other state, ya just deal with it. But in California... NOT SO !! That particular law is a real gift to bikers. Hope they never repeal it on ya. Almost makes it "worth it" when ya gotta deal with other Cali laws like not being able to license certain vehicles from other states.

Gary

darksider #44

Untitled_zps87fdc1cd.jpg

The only thing you may want to consider adding would be the statute number.

Untitled_zps87fdc1cd.jpg

I don't want anybody close enough behind me to be able to read something like that.
no2.gif

Anyway, there is no statute "allowing" it. Unlike other states, there's no statute prohibiting it. Wish I knew how you copied that image here tho--but thanks.

And by the way, it's not like I wouldn't send these anywhere, if anybody wanted to lobby for it in their own state. Up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy.

He screen captured the image and hosted it on his photo bucket account as a jpeg.
wink.png

(I know (most of) the professors tricks)

Hey... Maybe I should put one of these over on the New England section?

PassinginVT.jpg

I don't want anybody close enough behind me to be able to read something like that...Anyway, there is no statute "allowing" it. Unlike other states, there's no statute prohibiting it. ..
Oh ya, now I remember that. I didn't intend that (non-existent) statute number to be readable from a distance but to have it present for someone standing behind the bike to see that you didn't just make that up. But -- never mind.

...He screen captured the image and hosted it on his photo bucket account as a jpeg...
There goes Fred, just giving away my secrets when I'm sure they could be sold ;) BTW, he is correct.

OK, cool. I'm not checking you all off, but I see there's some interest, so I'll order a batch of 50 or so this week, and I'll post them up in the For Sale section and link to this thread.

You can cross a double yellow in VT, huh? Legally, I mean?
wink.png
Cool.

Easy.He screen captured the image and hosted it on his photo bucket account as a jpeg.
wink.png

(I know (most of) the professors tricks)

Hey... Maybe I should put one of these over on the New England section?

PassinginVT.jpg
Passing on a double yellow in VT is legal... as long as you have reflective patches on the front and rear of your helmet https://www.motorists.org/chapters/vermont
tonguesmiley.gif

Latest posts