'06 windshield questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDJeff

Reaction score
Just got an '06 last week, and now I feel I need to play with the windshield. I'm 5' 8" tall, 32" inseam, and with the shield in it's highest position, I still get some buffeting. If I duck my head down just a bit, it clears up pretty nicely, but I wind up looking through the screen, which I don't like.

First question is how do I tell if this is the stock windshield, and not a Yamaha Touring screen? I searched all the sites looking for dimensions, but didn't find any. Does anybody have them?

I'm thinking a Laminar Lip might be the solution, keeping the height down, but cleaning up the airflow. Am I on the right track?

I appreciate hearing from folks in the know. Thanks!

Welcome RDJeff!

I am 5' 9'' tall 32'' inseam.Installed a Laminar Lip on the stock windshield and any issues with buffeting resolved!This plastic thing works really good!

I don't know the dimensions of the stock '06 windshield,but i believe soon someone with a Gen 2 bike will help to tell you the dimensions of the stock windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock screen on my 07 is 19". This is measured dead center from top to bottom. It's about 21.5" at it's widest point (with the tape laid on the shield).

I'm roughly the same height and inseam (maybe 31" for me) and have the same buffeting.

May have to give a Lip a try!
snitch.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm close to your size also, 5' 8 or 9" depending on what shoes I'm wearing, 30" inseam. Had similar trouble with stock screen. I wasn't quite sold on the look of the added lip but found a good deal on a used Cal Sci medium windscreen and that solved my problem. About 1" or so taller and maybe 1" wider. Keep an eye on the classifieds.

Lots of options out there. If you're not happy with the 'lip consider an offering a couple inches higher than stock. Keep an eye on the for-sale section for used shields...we're always flipping them for something different / improved!

Good luck with the search!

--G

Yamaha Touring Shield is 23" from tip of colored bracket in center to top edge when installed. It also has an NC logo (National Cycle) on the glove box side. I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and the touring shield is perfect for me. Gets me into quiet air without much buffeting. Should be great for you as you are 4" shorter. I found one used on this forum in perfect shape. Some don't like them, but it works for me.

I went ahead and added a Laminar Lip to my stock screen, and it cleaned things up nicely. Now I only get buffeting when I'm behind a car or truck on the freeway, but I just lower the screen until I'm in the clear again.

Thanks for all the input, it really did help!