Short Ride 1/4 mile

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the launch routine (serious question)? Do you hold it at a certain RPM and just let the clutch lever fly or do you still feather it a little on takeoff? W/O a whole lot of wheelie problem, I'm guessing you can just drop it?

Sounds like fun,Mike!

I always wanted to do a 1/4 mile run with the bags on and camping gear strapped to the seat just to mess with people.

What's the launch routine (serious question)? Do you hold it at a certain RPM and just let the clutch lever fly or do you still feather it a little on takeoff? W/O a whole lot of wheelie problem, I'm guessing you can just drop it?
I just took off like I was at at stop light and in a hurry. Nothing special and tried not to crash on the launch, front wheel off the ground at the tree.. Shifts were all WOT and lifted the front wheel in second.

i only made two runs and the first was the fast one. Second run was 12:11 with worse launch.

I was at 98.8 mph at the 1/8 mile and 117 at the 1/4 mile on the 11:88 run. Maybe Nitros next time. LOL

Sounds like fun,Mike!
I always wanted to do a 1/4 mile run with the bags on and camping gear strapped to the seat just to mess with people.
Last year I did a run with the bags on and sat up to wave at the students in the stands. I still beat the Valkrie with straight pipes by a tenth of a second at 13:60 sec.

I show up at the staging lane then take off the factory trunk and bags, just to mess with the other guys heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! A Hycle ride report. What's next, armageddon?
I got rid of my car a while back and just ride to work now. I do 14 hours shifts, and sleep on the weekends. This should change in October to 10 hour shifts, so it might be safe to ride on the weekends.

Now I just split lanes when safe and hit 140mph when nobody is looking to make the ride interesting. Handles a litte wierd with the trunk on at high speed so I have to watch cross winds and buffeting from big trucks.

I notice cars move over when I approach or hit their brakes, my headlights look like CHP in their rear view mirrors. Maybe I will get the GoPro mounted on the bike for a video ride report of my commute. LOL

Mike,

Throw that GoPro on next time you run the 1/4 mile dash. Would be fun to mount it facing down toward the front tire to see the attitude changes.