alternative to corbin smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benhur

Reaction score
So Gentlemen,

I am a 2008 FJR owner who has been lusting after the corbin smuggler but

1. could never justify the cost of such an item

2. is not prepared to use the seat in the lower position(which if I am not mistaken is necessary with the smuggler)

any alternatives out there....I am prepared to consider anything which can be used to increase my storage when on my own without having to involve the use of a topbox....the bike looks so much better without any topbox on

R.

I have a tank bag....

I am looking into the possibiility of some sort of semi rigid tail pack....something that would flow with the lines of the bike...

Plenty of good options for a rear seat bag. Wife got me a Moto Fizz bag for Christmas and I love it. Do a search for tail bag or rear seat bag,

I replaced my rear seat with a Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 tailbag. It is bolted to the bike through the bottom and using automotive door seal around the edge of the opning it provides good protection for the under seat area. I use it to haul tools, tire repair kit and an air pump. The bag cost under $60, the seal $25 and a few bits of hardware $6. I can take it off and replace the seat in under 10 minutes should I want to.

There is always the Aussie PoPo box

IMG_20130628_185953.jpg

It's pricey but, it's worth every penny. I actually calculated the $$$ I've spent on killer seat bags over the years and kicked myself in the ass on what a waste it all was. I got a used (mint) smuggler and the search for my next pricey seat bag is over. :)

Sounds intriguing,
Any pic's?\
I had a Corbin Smuggler on my RT and loved it, but I can't bring myself to spend $800 on another one. I saw a similar project to the one below posted and thought I'd give it a shot.

I replaced my rear seat with a Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 tailbag. I went with a smaller bag because I plan to use it only for tools. There are larger bags with the same foot print if you want more verticle space. This is the bag unexpanded; when installed I expand it to hold my tools.

IMG_1132_zpse98ce0e9.jpg

I carry too many tools I suppose, but you never know; you may break down and someone will come along who knows how to use them. I almost always travel with Annie so I am carrying tools for two bikes. here is what goes in the bag: (left to right) Tire repair kit with pump and spare tire irons; jumper cables and rags; wrenches, ratchets, sockets, multi-meter, misc. other tools; a tool roll for all other tools.

IMG_1133_zps644098bf.jpg

It is bolted to the bike through the bottom. I replaced two bolts with some special studs a friend made. He took a 3/8" hardened bolt and turned one end to be a M8- 1.25-30mm stud. This end receives a nut and replaces the OEM bolt. That leaves about 20mm of 3/8" stud protruding to act as the attachment points for the bag.

IMG_1127_zps0aed58b8.jpg

and using automotive door seal around the edge of the opening it provides good protection for the under seat area.

IMG_1130_zpsf8287e97.jpg

This is the set-up with the studs installed and the door seal in place. I add fender washers on the 3/8" studs for more sopport for the bag and some closed cell foam between the studs, again for more support..

IMG_1125_zps43f133cc.jpg

Next mount the bag. I made the holes in the bottom of the bag with a heated phillips head screw driver, so there is little issue with tearing or fraying. I placed a piece of thin fiber board in the bottom to spread the load; I will replace the board with hard rubber in the future. It is secured with fender washers and acorn nuts.

IMG_1124_zpsa93f47e0.jpg

And here it is installed. These were taken as we prepared the bikes for an upcoming 2 week trip, so the Pelican case top box is mounted. I like that the heavy tools are carried low on the bike. (Yup, I have a stiffy kit installed and I keep the load in the Pelican Case limited to a Netbook and mostly light fabric stuff: rain gear, bike cover, rags, first aid kit, etc.)

IMG_1135_zps5fb44225.jpg

IMG_1134_zpsdcdbac2b.jpg

Here is the bike fully loaded. I don'tlike the look of any top box and the Pelican case is certainly not any better than most. But it does offer a low profile, 45 liters of space and is inexpensive. The black bag is a Kermit Duffle and holds all the camping gear: tent, sleeping bag / pad, chair, Jet Boil and a few other items.

IMG_1136_zps5523df01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic's, that is a pretty cool set up. Looks like you can use the Kermit for a backrest.

I assume you used the dual size stud for more strength attaching the bag to the bike?

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you used the dual size stud for more strength attaching the bag to the bike?
No such deep thinking. I could not find a M8 bolt with enough thread. My machinist friend used what he had to make the dual threaded stud.