Rear Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
Ok it's almost Friday, so you can make this a NERPT if need be.

My question is regarding the rear suspension on the FJR. I've read many posts of members changing their tired old rear suspension for new aftermarket suspension, which costs big $$$. What makes the OEM rear suspension so bad, is it the spring, the shock, or a combination of both?

I am by far not a really aggressive rider, and don't try to hang with the "Big Boys". I consider myself a decent rider, and I do like the twisties as well as a spirited romp on the highway.

So, I've been told by a local dealership, that the rear OEM suspension is re-buildable and they can mount a stiffer spring and replace the shock rod,etc for under $500. A new aftermarket set up depending what type will run me minimum $800 all the way up to $1300.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
With an aftermarket shock/spring, you have mor adjustment than just hard 'n soft. Butt if'n yer on a tight budget, and thrash'in the twisties, a rebuilt stock unit w/ a proper spring, (Assuming ya weigh mor than 160 lbs?) may be the way ta go.

I upgraded my front and rear springs with a Hyperpro spring kit back in 2011, costing me $155.00. I did this because I really couldn't get a 'balanced' feel between the front and rear OEM setup. I currently have the rear OEM shock still on the bike, but when it goes I will upgrade it too. I don't do a lot of twisty riding either, but my current setup offers a better response while riding.

Ok it's Friday, so you can make this a NERPT if need be.My question is ...
I hate to break this to you, but today is Thursday in most of North America.
uhoh.gif

I'd like to ask an additional question... how does the pre-load adjustment of the aftermarket shocks compare with the OEM? I'm about 180 lb in gear and "normal" setting is fine, but two up or with luggage and the "hard" setting just doesn't do it.

Yep, I checked, Thursday here too. (had to bust your chops
smile.png
). I found I had the same dilemma when Hycle passed me one time,( he was two up), like I was going backwards! At the next stop and chat session, I found he was running an Ohlins so I bit the bullet, got one and have never been happier with the handling of my bike. The adjust-ability of my Ohlins is head and shoulders above the "soft-hard" lever of the stock setup, as it allows fine tuning to your current set up, solo, two up, loaded bags, etc... Personally, I'd be looking for a used aftermarket one (there's a Penske in the forum classified now) and when $ allow, have the front end worked on and you'll be a happy camper.

Like me, Lucille's previous owner will not be accused of svelteness. The result is that her shock was... "Experienced". Like a truck stop waitress. Small price to pay for not being a Garage Queen!

Like you, I explored the various options. My needs are modest, as my riding style doesn't compare with that of many members of this august company. My budget is similarly modest.

I found a nearly-new OEM shock here in the For Sale section - for a modest $200. The job of swapping it out was no more difficult than removing the rear wheel is.

It won't turn that waitress into your favorite actress, but for the difference in money you can close your eyes and pretend.

On second thought, you probably ought to keep your eyes open.

Talked to the guys at Shore Cycle, they have a mechanic who worked in Germany for 10+ yrs with team Kawasaki, and he said he could do it. Good to hear from you, hopefully once the shoulder heals I'll be able to get out.

Good shop. Funny you mentioned Germany, I know another German gentleman that said he could have it rebuilt. I've seen what they do and it seems to be a nice fix.

I just called them and they are going to do my KLR shock. Thanks for the info.

Let us know how you make out with your FJR.

Canadian FJR

Back in November I installed a HyperPro Street Box on my '08. The box had a set of progressive springs for the front, 15W fork oil and rebuildable rear

shock. The shock also comes with a progressive spring. They charge $150 to rebuild the rear shock.

The cost of the kit is $699. I found at the AIM Expo in Orlando and they were reduced the price by 15%, so check for shows in your area.

The had 44,000 miles on it when I upgraded. Ride improvement was immediate. Most notable was at railroad crossings and when going over expansion joints

on concrete highways.

Curious that they mention mounting a "stiffer" spring .. doesn't the stock shock have two of them?

I could never get the rebound right on the stocker. The Ohlin's rebound and compression are separate, and a click in each direction makes a noticeable difference. The bike went from lazyboy to lively. But I had to spend some time finetuning the preload/rebound/compression.

The Ohin's is expensive ($1100); It costs about $200 to rebuild it too. I think you should wait and save up another $600 and get an aftermarket shock.

Just a thought, but so many people replace the OEM right away, I was thinking there may be some near new OEMs available for a reasonable price.

Aasland, how often does the Ohlin have to be rebuilt?

Another option is to buy an OEM '13 or '14A rear shock for around $425... better than previous Gen's with a stiffer 976 lbs/in. spring and improved damping..... retains the hard/soft thing. But nothing will be better than aftermarket.

Just a thought, but so many people replace the OEM right away, I was thinking there may be some near new OEMs available for a reasonable price.
I replaced mine at 40k, but keeping it in case I ever sell the FJR the next owner doesn't want the Ohlins.

Aasland, how often does the Ohlin have to be rebuilt?
I do mine every 30k or so, whenever it falls on a winter boundary. The degradation is slow enough that's not a "fine one ride, not fine the next" deal.

Ok deserve that, Thursday it is, my bad....
Well you did say ALMOST Friday.
winksmiley02.gif

Anyhoo... I look at an upgraded shock as something that makes the bike more enjoyable every time you ride it, a long term investment if you will, and you can sell it separately if/when you sell the bike and recoup much of your $$.

Has anyone ever dealt with EPM performance in New Jersey and a Hyperpro "Street Box" for an FJR? Also inquiring about the "hard/soft" lever on the OEM shock, and what role it actually plays, and is it really necessary, and do most actually use it during the life of the OEM shock?

Looking for an aftermarket suspension, but have to stick to the budget>