What's the big "Gen1" Deal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
OK, it's not Friday, but I wish it were, so I'm opening a can of worms.

On this forum, time-and-again, I've seen many of the posters claim that the Gen1 FJR is the superior model.

With all the refinements to the bike over the years, I'm hard pressed to see how that could possibly be the case. What is your evidence?

Open fire!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because we were first.
smile.png
The original 03 is considered the quickest due to lighter weight and slightly different cams and ECU. Other than that they are all about the same. The refinements you mention are fine but they keep adding weight and complexity. This should get the six speed thing going also along with cancelling signals. Probably ought to have a cup holder built in.

It's because we were first.
smile.png
The original 03 is considered the quickest due to lighter weight and slightly different cams and ECU. Other than that they are all about the same. The refinements you mention are fine but they keep adding weight and complexity. This should get the six speed thing going also along with cancelling signals. Probably ought to have a cup holder built in.
+1, Gunny; well said FJRay, plus anyone who would ride a Gen2 could not have had much of a Mother and besides that those Gen2 folks smell funny! JSNS!

Baja017.jpg

Truth is the Gen 0 is the best! The 165hp from the Genesis-X engine, the 20 pound reduction from even the 2003, ...problem is so few were made they're very hard to find. And the few that show up on Craigslist are those dang French ones with the detuned engine.

I've always thought those references to "superior Gen Is" were a bit of tongue-in-cheek self-delusion. Kind of like how I always tell myself “boy, good thing I bought a (super-duper) new FJR in 2013 instead of ending up with one of those inferior 2014 ES versions. Those things are only available in that gorgeous obnoxious red colour and I would never want to be seen on anything that screams ‘look at me’ like that thing does. Besides, I’d never actually use the ES feature, even though I’m constantly switching between 1-up and 2-up riding.”
no2.gif

Sometimes a bit of healthy self-delusion goes a long way.

I've always thought those references to "superior Gen Is" were a bit of tongue-in-cheek self-delusion. Kind of like how I always tell myself “boy, good thing I bought a (super-duper) new FJR in 2013 instead of ending up with one of those inferior 2014 ES versions. Those things are only available in that gorgeous obnoxious red colour and I would never want to be seen on anything that screams ‘look at me’ like that thing does. Besides, I’d never actually use the ES feature, even though I’m constantly switching between 1-up and 2-up riding.”
no2.gif

Sometimes a bit of healthy self-delusion goes a long way.
In my case the '13 is superior to the '14 because my wife would let me spend the money on the '13, but not the '14. Besides, I rarely ride 2-up, as she has her own ride.
rolleyes.gif

It's one part running joke and the other part is more complicated:

They're so reliable and you've got the custom seat, power commander, Ohlins suspension, etc, etc set up perfect on your Gen1...it's kinda hard to make yourself believe that "trading up" gains you much of anything.

They aren't. All the Gen 1's SUCK.
flirt.gif
There, I called out the elephant in the room.

Everyone knows, deep inside, that GEN 2's are the Rawkin' FJR Ride.

Genl's are superior just because they are! It helps that the owners are of a higher cut of chafe too.
Yo Bustanut joker, don't even get your Papa Chuy Viejo started on those derelict dipsticks that own/ride those piece of shit Gen2 AE's! Short Bus Hosers, eh!

fotoflexer_photo-3-2.jpg

Most Gen 1 owners also have a bond...or more precisely share a common experience of anguish and elation that later generation owners simply cannot fathom. They are members of the PDP Tribe.
aikido.gif

Most of these hearty souls banded together in Web 1.0 days ferreting out low-res photos of the rumored FJR via WebCrawler, Alta Vista, and once in a while via the nascient and inferior Google. They sought out elusive promotional material at dealers, stared enviously at the vinyl posters on dealer walls, poured through e-mails from listservs for scraps about the coming juggernaut of SPORT-touring perfection, and vainly invented meanings for the letters F-J-R. Forums hadn't really even been invented yet.

The occasional nomad from Europe typed in broken English sketchy details of beige 2001 and green 2002 FJRs and most everybody just believed Aussie sources were funning us. The French were just deluded. To some the FJR was just another Yeti sighting. Nobody actually had ever sat on one--let alone ridden one on our continent.

But a few of those hearty souls bucked all semblance of reason, wrote non-refundable $500 checks to dealers touting the "Priority Delivery Program", promised to pay the balance when the bike showed up months later, and twiddled their thumbs. Let me say that again......people used to drop small stacks of hundred dollar bills down on a vague promise by Yamaha that they'd own a gray FJR with side cases and liners thrown in for free months after they paid! And they did this without ever actual seeing one--let alone riding one.

Those were heady times and brave souls.

And 2004 owners did much the same thing, but did have a slight advantage in that they could see and possibly touch one of the few 2003 examples around before plopping down their money. Extra trusting 2003 owners would even let them sit on them. Warchild was one of those and even had one of the early-farkled machines with a Russell seat, highway pegs, and new-fangled PHIDs mounted on custom made one-off brackets.

2005 owners had it a bit easier with two year of bass boat blue pleasure and few even found spare inventory around from people that had bailed and forfeited their $500.

In 2006 that all changed. This forum went through a little stress as the newly coined "Gen 2" owners were generally worse than Millennials on Redbull...completely oblivious to the character-building discipline that the PDP instilled in FJR owners.

And we won't talk about the shortbus AE owners....a dead-end in the evolution of the species.

By Gen 3 the crusty old Gen 1 owners were worrying more about whether their prostates worked, don't care as much anymore, and a few found themselves reborn by picking up used Gen 2 or holding out for a Gen 3.

For that reason alone, for those that endured the PDP.....Gen 1's are the best.
wink.png

The Gen I never had a problem with the coolant temperature. The Gen II got more bars on the coolant gauge and suddenly there was lots of worry about coolant temp. Then Gen III got a number gauge and now the Forum is getting even more posts about worrisome gauge fluctuations and readings that are too low.

The Gen II got an instantaneous fuel readout. It was stuck at 17 mpg and required a dash replacement. This caused the odometers to be wrong because the new dash was at 00000.0 miles.

The Gen I was bi-lingual, it spoke English units and Metric units. The Gen II can either speak English or Metric but for the transcontinental traveler you can't set the units of the country you are riding in.

The Gen I didn't need a G2 throttle tube to compensate for a non-concentric throttle body pulley.

The Gen II got taller gearing which slows acceleration.

The Gen II got a longer swing arm which slows steering.

The Gen II gained significant weight.

The Gen II got a different fuel rail and revised fuel pressure management system. Then it got 'altitude sickness' because it couldn't compensate for altitude changes in mountains and that required an ECU recall.

The Gen II got a gear indicator which makes it glaringly clear that the Gen II does not have a 6th gear. And, speaking of that gear position indicator, the Gen I never had a gear readout error.

The Gen II got a cummerbund around the back of the gas tank to enhance the experience of gaining access under the tank.

The Gen II got a higher output stator, but Yamaha took away space where the controllers and power distribution blocks for the extra electrical goodies would have been installed.

Speaking of extra watts, the Gen I never melted down the main wiring harness which required the Gen II main wire harnesses to be replaced.

Nor did the Gen I melt down the ignition switch, which required the Gen II ignition switch to be replaced. Which often caused the owners to have 2 keys because the mechanics couldn't/didn't read the instructions.

The Gen II got a power plug in the glove box. But, it is fused to low to be useful for much.

The Gen I had unlinked brakes and ABS was your choice. Gen I owners can crash the old fashioned way, due to lack of skill and training. The Gen II owners have no options.

In fairness...

A small number of early Gen I had valve guide wear due to valve stem seals being too tight.

The TPS could wear out so they were recalled.

In the end, the best Gen is.....................................the one you own.

Latest posts