Do not re-spring the OEM Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pista

Reaction score
I called Traxxion Dynamics about new springs for both my forks and shock.

They recommended the " omni kit" for the forks which is a direct fit including precut spacers for $140.

But they also wouldn't give me any info about getting one of their Hypercoil springs because " the stock FJR shock dampening is poor"

I don't have $600+ for a new shock. But at 270 lbs, the rear OEM shock just doesn't cut it for me.

So looking for first- hand experience...

Is it worth getting a spring from another vendor as I don't see a Penske/Ohlins /Nitron box getting dropped off by my UPS guy anytime soon.

My take would be that the damping on the stock shock is non-optimal to begin with, and so is the spring rate for most American sized riders and pillions. If you get the spring rate right it will not magically transform the damping. I think you are better off suffering with the stock set-up a while longer until you can afford to buy a proper shock than doing a half-assed upgrade with minimal benefit.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
A stiffer-than-stock spring mounted on a stock shock will cause ride problems. You may improve compression damping but the stronger aftermarket spring will rebound too quickly.

Another option you could consider is a rear shock from a '13 or '14A, which has a 976 lb/in spring and better damping. They go for about $425 from online parts vendors.

I just checked an oem parts site. This may have already been discussed here, but why is the '13-'14 shock $469 (on the site I checked) and the '08 $700? Especially assuming the newer shock is better.

Even with state of the art suspension, hitting an uneven section of pavement in a twisty curve can get spooky. I sure as heck wouldn't want the rear end bouncing around because of a stiff spring with insufficient dampening.

I just checked an oem parts site. This may have already been discussed here, but why is the '13-'14 shock $469 (on the site I checked) and the '08 $700? Especially assuming the newer shock is better.
Probably has to do with the fact that the older shock is made in less volume now that they're only available as spares for FJRs that Yamaha is no longer making. The newer ones cost less because Yamaha probably has a larger quantity on order from their supplier. I can't remember what other parts were affected this way, but I've seen others with similar pricing strategies.

Probably has to do with the fact that the older shock is made in less volume now that they're only available as spares for FJRs that Yamaha is no longer making. The newer ones cost less because Yamaha probably has a larger quantity on order from their supplier. I can't remember what other parts were affected this way, but I've seen others with similar pricing strategies.
As much sense as that makes, that's not the case. They have always been this expensive. Kinda nuts.

As much sense as that makes, that's not the case. They have always been this expensive. Kinda nuts.
Hmm. Maybe they found a cheaper supplier then. Or their "new and improved" shock has been designed simpler and less costly to make. Who knows. Who would drop $700 on a new stock shock when they can spend the same or slightly more on a decent aftermarket shock?

That spring kit is $289 on their website now. So considering the rear Hyperpro to hold me over, and Traxxion up front.

Do we know that the shock for the Gen3 will fit the Gen2? The part numbers end the same, but have a different prefix.

There is an article done by 2wf in 2009 it's called "Hyperpro shock/ Hyperpro springs. Google FJR rear suspension and you'll find it. They do a re-fit of a new rear suspension, a Hyperpro 3-D rear suspension with remote, and then do just a Hyperpro rear spring and front springs. The article said Todd Trumble from TTR motorsports did the work and then did a test ride on each bike. Again the article is from 2009 so the prices have increased a bit, but the 3-D system back then was $899 + $269 for the hydraulic pre-load adjuster, or $259 fo the front and rear spring kit. Quote, " If you are only looking for better control and a much improved ride, all without breaking the bank, then the Hyperpro Spring Combo kit will be perfect. In all honesty the combo kit will probably suit 75% of FJR (or any other bike) riders out there…..it really is that good…..and for $259.00 you can’t beat the price." I'm far from an experienced rider but this seems to be an ok idea. Just some info I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the link to the article mentioned above

I don't know much about that web site or the guy(s) that did that review, but the fact that they just set the damping of their new rear HyperPro shock to the "center of the recommended" number of clicks, and never adjusted it from there, but were perfectly happy with the results. suggests that maybe they are not the most trustworthy suspension experts.

YMMV

and is the '13 '14 rebuildable?If not, that 500 bucks spent won't last very long.
Thought I'd seen some posts that the Gen2 models could be rebuilt, but obviously no reports yet on the GenIII. Still, Partspak.com has the GenIII shock for $419. I could buy two shocks for the price of most aftermarket shocks. If the OEM goes 25k miles, this would probably outlast my ownership of the bike.

Do we know that the shock for the Gen3 will fit the Gen2? The part numbers end the same, but have a different prefix.
That is the question! Time to start searching fiche/part numbers, see if the connecting parts are different.

Latest posts