Okay, NOW I'm PISSED!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
The " Build Date" on my Frankenbike, that gorgeous 2004 Cerulean Silver beauty, is July 03.

That means she's 3 months shy of 11 years old.

Well, you'd THINK 10 years, 9 months, and 85 thousand miles later the battery would crank her up after a 5 minute stop on the way home from work.

WTF!!! Now I gotta buy a frickin' battery??? This damn thing is a frickin' money pit! 3 tires in 5 years and now I need a damn battery? Where will it end?

Thank goodness I keep a 5mm allen wrench in the glovebox. Popped off the battery cover (without, I might add, requiring an "inline" redesign like the Gen III did) and got a jump start from a fellow motorist.

Now, decisions, decisions...Westco, Yuasa or Shorai? The Yuasa in my ZRX is now 12 years old and still cranks like a superstar, it never gets so cold here in CenFla to worry about Shorai cold-weather issues, or just get a Westco from Jeff at Bike Effects.

I'll worry about it Monday, leave it on the 'tender all weekend and see how she starts Sunday.

Neither..

Just do like my lil' brother Odot.

See the bolt the arrow is pointing to?

bolt_zps67520c9a.png

It's a direct wire to the positive post. All ya need is a set of jumpers under the set, an' yer good to go! I just saved you fiddy bucks 'owie

Just more proof genl owners and genl's are the superior mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll worry about it Monday, leave it on the 'tender all weekend and see how she starts Sunday.
The definition of an optimist! Attempting to bring a near-flat-lined-10-year-old-battery back from the dead. :punk:
So, you see what we're dealing with here, Denver? That's right! He's going to charge a dead 10 year old battery. I rest my case, Your Honor.... Bring the straight jacket... And don't forget the electric prods.... :)

The definition of an optimist! Attempting to bring a near-flat-lined-10-year-old-battery back from the dead.
punk.gif
So, you see what we're dealing with here, Denver? That's right! He's going to charge a dead 10 year old battery. I rest my case, Your Honor.... Bring the straight jacket... And don't forget the electric prods.... :)
He will jump start it with the electric prods!

The definition of an optimist! Attempting to bring a near-flat-lined-10-year-old-battery back from the dead. :punk:
He will jump start it with the electric prods!
He'll try his best! It's Howie for Christ's Sake! :))

I had to push start my '03 this morning after getting gas on the way into work. I broke down and ordered a battery first I did after getting the computer on. That is now it's third battery, only averaging about 60,000 miles each.

Grady

I had to push start my '03 this morning after getting gas on the way into work. I broke down and ordered a battery first I did after getting the computer on. That is now it's third battery, only averaging about 60,000 miles each.
Grady
I'll bet they were all Yuasa. That battery is amazing.

Just remember 'Owie, it's a Gen 1 and that means it uses a 6 volt battery.

While your there, don't forget to change the points.
flirt.gif

Been one year with the Shorai, and it's a light weighted strong power source.

After I installed the wiring harness from the rectifier to the battery...it's been doing super good.

Just remember 'Owie, it's a Gen 1 and that means it uses a 6 volt battery.While your there, don't forget to change the points.
flirt.gif
Just get a potato and stick a couple of wires in it. It will give you enough juice to crank that POS Gen I. If it doesn't work you can at least have fries on the side of the road. Was Howie completely asleep during science class at school?

dilbert2006203590914.gif

Last edited by a moderator: