is this possible? Wife want me to do this.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semper Fi

Reaction score
I had a major motorcycle accident about 4 years ago. I had a V-star 1100 and now have the 2003 FJR 1300. What a difference!! I love the bike and everything about it. Anyway, my wife would like me to put a wobble headlight{?} if that is what they are called, on the front of mine. Do they make them for this type of bike and if they do, where would I get one from? Here is what my bike looks like, and yes I know that they were only sold in the silver color in 2003 but, I wanted a blue one so I painted it.

This is what I had when I crashed it into the car that cut in front of me.

Headlight modulator. Yes you can install one on a FJR. Type that phrase into Google. Also consider a set of LED running lights to install down by the front fender, they vastly increase your conspicuousness. Many power controllers for the LED running lights can tap into the high beam system so that when you flip on the high beams the LED go 100% power at the same time and they are BRIGHT.

LED flashers in back are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

If you do install the headlight modulator, please don't ride behind me with it on, it gets old very fast, then it becomes beyond irritating.

Do you wear Hi-Viz? Most of us NERDS have become wearers and it's bright!

I think you are looking for a headlight modulator. Gives a "wobble" effect but by modulating the power to the lights. Personally, I find them to be annoying but there are those who swear that it increases their visibility and safety. Not my cup of tea.

I use a modulator. I only have it on when I am not following someone. It does get people's attention. I have seen cars far ahead who decide not to pull out until I go past. Maybe they know how annoying it is to have me follow them, or maybe they think I am some sort of emergency vehicle. In any case, they do see me coming from a long way off.

Your conspicuity will be greatly enhanced.

Last week I was traveling on I-40 across NM & AZ and SEVERAL TIMES noticed a modulating headlight on a motorcycle 1/2 to 1 mile away. They stood out among any other vehicles.

Enjoy

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if the modulator was what I was looking for. If it makes the headlight appear to be "wobbling" around, then that is what I want. I have LEDs on the back side. Red ones that are, 2 flash with the turn signals, 2 with the brake lights, one in the rear that is on all the time, and one in each side bag that is on all the time. I am glad that they work well to keep you "noticed" but, I am starting to wonder if my wife wants me to look like a UFO coming down the street. I have also thought about putting the LEDs on the front forks, I am not sure which one I should do. I am not looking to be annoying to anyone, I just want to be seen. I have thought about the helmet that is Hi-Viz but, the wife just bought me a Nolan helmet on the High Seas Rally we were on. So for now a new helmet is not on her mind.

Interesting that you'd mention this. We were talking about all this just recently on this thread: CLICKY

You're kinda new around here. In case I didn't mention it yet, welcome aboard. Sweet lookin' FJR, dude. Looks just like my 05. Guess I'm lucky. I didn't have to go to the trouble to paint it. Somebody did a great job on the paint work. If I might ask, what did that set you back?

Gary

darksider #44

I went with Clearwater Kristas. They do not "modulate" but each one provides 2400 lumens using 36 watts. I run them both day and night. I know they make a difference during the day. I love them at night. Most of the time, I run them at about 30% brightness at night, as they are far too bright at full power.

There are many different choices for high power aftermarket lights, many spoken of on this forum. Some as cheap as 80 bucks, some over 700 (for example, Clearwater Ericas, producing 6000 lumens each. Here's an online review of them: CLICKY

CIMG1390.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that you'd mention this. We were talking about all this just recently on this thread: CLICKYYou're kinda new around here. In case I didn't mention it yet, welcome aboard. Sweet lookin' FJR, dude. Looks just like my 05. Guess I'm lucky. I didn't have to go to the trouble to paint it. Somebody did a great job on the paint work. If I might ask, what did that set you back?

Gary

darksider #44
The bike or the paint? The bike I bought year before last in Oct for $3200 with only 13,000 miles on it. It now has 22,000 miles on it. The paint work was about $900 for the paint and the decals.

you might try hanging a chili relleno on the front of your bike.
What is a "chili relleno"?

Interesting that you'd mention this. We were talking about all this just recently on this thread: CLICKYYou're kinda new around here. In case I didn't mention it yet, welcome aboard. Sweet lookin' FJR, dude. Looks just like my 05. Guess I'm lucky. I didn't have to go to the trouble to paint it. Somebody did a great job on the paint work. If I might ask, what did that set you back?

Gary

darksider #44
The bike or the paint? The bike I bought year before last in Oct for $3200 with only 13,000 miles on it. It now has 22,000 miles on it. The paint work was about $900 for the paint and the decals.

You sir, are a crook. You KNOW you stole that motorcycle. How did you pull off a price like that? 3200 bucks? Good grief. You must be a doggone magician.

Did you check out the links I provided?

Gary

darksider #44

I also had a VStar 1100 as my first bike. I put a headlight modulator on it. I worked well. Does not work on low beam so when a group ride turn your low beam on so the guy in front of you doesn't go insane. Sold my 1100 and got an '05 FJR (already blue). What a difference, like going from a John Deer tractor to a Ferrari.

LED driving lights will do more for you than the modulator in my opinion. Our work bikes have modulators and all kinds of bling blangy reds and blues all over them and sometimes people still don't see me.

Gary

darksider #44

Don't they have Mexican restaurants in Pennsylvania??

Chilli Relleno - A big chilli stuffed with cheese and dipped in batter then fried. Very tasty.

Regarding how the modulator works. First, they are legal for motorcycles in all 50 states and Canada.

The modulator only turns on when you have your high beams on and there is enough daylight for the included sensor to detect it, so your high beams won't modulate at night. Your only control is your high beam switch, so you can't run with non-modulated high beams during the daylight once you install the modulator.

The modulator dims the high beams slightly, but not completely as it cycles. That way it does not damage the lamp by repeatedly switching it on and off. I have not noticed any change in how long a lamp lasts with and without using the modulator.

Mine is a Kisan. You need to buy one that is made for a two headlight system. There is a small device that attaches directly to the back of each headlight lamp and the regular headlight connector plugs into the device. On the two headlight system there is also a wire between the two modulator devices to keep them in sync.

I had a major motorcycle accident about 4 years ago. I had a V-star 1100 and ...This is what I had when I crashed it into the car that cut in front of me.

If you don't want to persue the modulator installation route, have your wife drive car in front of you watching you ride via the rearview mirrors.

You ride with your FJR headlights on 'bright.' The stock lights throw a torch down the road when on 'bright' that would be d*mn hard to miss.