Broke My 14 a Little but Checked Drive Shaft Grease

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyO

Reaction score
Dumb but when I park at work I put gear in one side bag and helmet in the other. I put my dirty old leather chaps on top of the rear tire. Ran an errand during the day and put on my jacket and helmet and took off. My leathers got stuck, locked up the rear tire and tore my rubber flap and put a crack on my inner fender. I fixed the crack and installed new rubber flap. While I had rear wheel off I pulled drive shaft and u-joint to check the grease. The engine splines were almost dry and rusting. I cleaned everything and lubed with Honda moly 60. Only 6000 miles and not enough grease. Heads up to check your u-joints and splines.

Now we know chaps are dangerous for yet another reason.

The first reason is chaps won't save the body part most likely to come into contact during a get-off. They were originally intended as weather protection on the wild prairie, and against various annoyances such as mesquite and cactus, whilst ridin' the range with the herd.

Even armoured riding jeans offer better protection. Full leather pants, armored, are quite possibly best, but there are some good armored textile ones available that, while they may look gauche, could save your a$$ from pavement rash..

OTOH, at times, chaps can be rather fetching:

A7s4xXcCQAEBAQa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
. While I had rear wheel off I pulled drive shaft and u-joint to check the grease. The engine splines were almost dry and rusting.
I hear that this is not unusual. I expect to be getting a new FJR in 2 or 3 weeks. Checking the rear drive is one of the things at the top of the list.

I love those sets of chaps and what their filled with, but from experience, a NSFW warning is prolly now appropriate. I know, I know, but even I know when the line is crossed. Just ask Iggy about the naked Santa on the lawn mower with his nads hanging out.

Yeah, a little NSFW.

I'm at home, and I can keep that picture up as long as I like today.

Although not as lovely as my wife in her chaps.

Back on topic: Now I need to check my '13s u-joint and splines.