Test rode 2014 RT - nice, but.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjrzrcool

Reaction score
Hello-

Been a member here for a while and have learned tons. Used to own a 2004 FJR and loved it.

Now, getting a new bike and have been going back and forth on the 2014RT or the 2014FJR. Test drove the RT over weekend and while nice, I didn't walk away loving it. Engine was great, but....not sure the bike is for me.

So, having always loved the way the FJR looked and ran, and now that the FJR has ES and other options my 2004 did not, I'm ready to get one. Only thing I wonder about is the weight. I'm 6'0, 175lbs. The FJR is about 40-50lbs heavier than the RT.

I love the twisties. Different view points on the RT and FJR through them, but those that have the FJR....is the weight and top heaviness something that is bothersome? Is it flickable in comparison to the RT (those that might know the difference)?

I know this subject has been addressed to some degree before, so thanks in advance for your answers and any other insight you may have. I found a dealer about 2 hrs away that has the FJR in stock and ready to go. I want to pull the trigger. Perhaps just need some positive reinforcement from those that have the new bike, or even those that have a bike a few years old.

Also, what is a fair or great price for this new bike, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks..

Pull the trigger! I'm close to your dimensions (6'1" and about 170) and have no issues with the weight. Yes, the Feej is heavy, but the weight melts away once you pull away from a stop. That said, it does require one's full attention during parking lot maneuvers, particularly when fully-loaded, 2-up, and dealing with any slopes. As for "flickability" I can't compare to an RT but from what I've read and heard it has more to do with tire condition and rider skill than it does with weight.

How's that? Enough positive reinforcement? If not I'm sure I can find some Kool-Aid around here somewhere...
smile.png

I agree with last comment. Once moving the handling is exceptional from my experience. I bought the FJR to ride with my son (he has a CBR 1000) and he loves twisties. I keep up pretty darn good with him. Go for it, you'll love the FJR.

Top Heavy yes, but vs the RT? I would rather have the '14 FJR ES. I'm sure RT fans would bash me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower center of gravity on the RT will allow for a faster roll rate ("flickability" if you prefer). But, it also requires a greater lean angle for any given turning arc and speed. Trade-offs.....

All great points, especially yours AKjitsu...never thought of it that way. The RT I test rode over the weekend did seem very high. Very High. Going around some turns I felt a bit uncomfortable being so high while leaning, or at least had the perception of being too high.

Plus, one of the biggest things, even if money was no object, the RT is about 6-8K more money when all said and done. Certainly don't feel the extra costs is there, not to mention services down the road.

Never thought I'd get a red bike, but this new FJR is speaking to me. Someone on this board showed his new bike with a dark smoked screen from CeeBaileys I believe - -it looked great with the red bike.

I do have one other concern. Have heard that you should not ride with top case and luggage? Anybody have issues with this? Think my wife would not be happy if you couldn't do both on a long trip. Someone mentioned a reinforcement for the frame in back......is there a maker for this? Does Givi provide with heir mounts?

thx

These new RTs are awfully well done. Worth considering, for sure.
I would definitely ride that.

And......

Yes you can ride the FJR 2 up with both bags and a top case loaded, all stock. Lots of people do it, and I have too...

Yamaha will say that you can ride with either bags or the top box, not both to avoid overloading. I've rode thousands of miles with two-up and fully loaded bags + top box (put heavier stuff in bags). Some of this has been at 90 with a cross wind. Has worked just fine for me! There is a stiffy kit made by Garauld of this forum (search it out).

There is a stiffy kit made by Garauld of this forum (search it out).
I'm probably behind the times but does Garauld make a stiffener kit for Gen III yet? The OP might want to double-check that before basing a decision on that (possible) mod.

Underneath it all, I'm a BMW guy. A little over a year ago, I was looking for a used *1150* RT, being disinclined to spend new bike money. There weren't any at the time. There WAS a sweet 2007 FJR...take eBay, some good luck, fly & ride, badda boom... You know which one I own. I'm 5'7", 135. The FJR is a BIG girl. But she's dead stable on the road, and agile enough. I have more than a few miles on R1200RTs, and to my assessment, they're more than a little more flickable than the FJR, and feel more than the actual weight difference lighter. I still bought the FJR. I figure somebody will be selling a nice red '14 ES in a few years, and there I'll be.

HTH.

Stiffy kit by Garauld for Gen III is shown on a thread under group buys. Includes a report from one member who installed same on a 14.

Stiffy kit by Garauld for Gen III is shown on a thread under group buys. Includes a report from one member who installed same on a 14.

I'm 5'10" and 170. I went from a Suzuki GSX1250FA which weighed about 550 to the 2014 FJR A model, which is over 100 lbs heavier. I just bought the FJR a few days ago, but had been thinking about it for several months. In the process I test rode a 2013 and 2012 FJR several months ago, and have about 100 miles on the new FJR. I definitely can tell I'm on a bigger bike, but the FJR is every bit as nimble as my GSX1250 was, and I really don't notice the extra weight when rolling. Low-speed maneuvers and parking lot adjustments are, maybe, just a bit more cumbersome, but it's a close call. Having also looked at (but did not ride) the R1200RT, my perception and feel of the relative size of the bikes was that the RT seemed bigger, even though the FJR probably beats it by a few pounds. Also, the FJR is easier to put on the center stand than my Suzuki was, for whatever that's worth. To me, the FJR doesn't feel as heavy as it actually is. Good luck with your decision.

Rode with an RT to Austin MotoGP and totaled about 1885miles. The FJR seemed to handle better at low and high speed, Also better in tight parking lots as the one at COTA was when leaving in the afternoon, (whats up with some people?) and it was harder to handle backing it out of dirt lots too. seemed more top heavy and taller then the FJR. Two pluses I saw was, It seemed to handle the wind from the side a little better and was better on gas mileage when running above 80mph. I could run it down pretty easy when needed too. I hope the guy who parked me in with the BMW with side car enjoyed seeing it pushed into the fire lane when he came out, Feckin Jackass! I waited to "discuss" his choice of a parking spot with him, but he was as late coming out as he was apparently going in.

FWIW:

BMW 1200 RT

604 lbs wet

4.9 lb/hp
124 hp
6.6 gallons

31.7" seat height

$29.22/lb Starting

FJR1300

676 lbs wet

4.7 lb/hp

145 hp
6.6 gallons

31.7" - 32.5" seat height

$24.98/lb

By the numbers this bout is almost a draw.

Now, getting a new bike and have been going back and forth on the 2014RT or the 2014FJR. Test drove the RT over weekend and while nice, I didn't walk away loving it. Engine was great, but....not sure the bike is for me.
Everything I have read about the 2014RT has been so positive it seemed like BMW was doing the evaluations. Can you give some insight why you didn't feel the bike was for you?

While I cannot address the 2014RT, I have ridden a 2008 R1200RT and I liked it. After I swapped back to my bike, the owner and I had a very nice discussion about the character of the two bikes. We did not argue, we were 100% in agreement on everything.

Handling: BMW has much more lean angle before touching the pegs. It can really lean farther than I could make it because I was carrying lean angle that would have crashed me on the FJR. However, the BMW required a lot more effort to initiate and hold the turn. I almost found it tiring I had to put so much pressure on the bars.

Engine/Power: The BMW was plenty strong but it needed to be revved. I had to shift a great deal and had to be more precise with what gear I was in. The BMW has to be spinning to get its power.

Weight: The FJR weighs more but carries its weight better. The RT seemed heavier in almost every way. The only time it felt lighter was when pushing it in the garage.

Everything I have read about the 2014RT has been so positive it seemed like BMW was doing the evaluations. Can you give some insight why you didn't feel the bike was for you?
I actually loved the new engine - tons of power and very quick. Very different from the 1150rt I once had. But, the bike seemed to sit high for me, even though specs are lower than last year. Dash layout was very nice. The demo did not have saddlebags on so it seemed a bit twitchy in the back end. I went through the settings ...did solo rider, road, and soft thru hard. Hard actually felt best in road mode, for me.

The main thing for me was that the fairing seemed huge. Could not get past the fact that it seemed so wide and bolbus up front. And felt front heavy, maybe because the rear bags were off....heavy front, light rear?

The windshield seemed noisy to me also. Knew right away I'd need another shield, and would probably opt for the high seat...although would make the bike seem even taller. Perhaps I'll try another test with the saddlebags, not sure. The one thing that does make me wonder about the FJR, even though I like it very much, is what the previous poster wrote....that the RT has more lean angle than the FJR. Someone did a comparison photo of both bikes going through a leaned turn and the FJR was sparking on foot peg feelers and the RT had room to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.