Mirror problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67DLA

Reaction score
I have an 08 and my problem seems to be that I am getting more turbulence/buffeting now that I installed my new mirror extenders. I can. Not tell for sure if this is a new problem. Any riding I did through the winter and early spring I did with my helmet on. I ride with a Rifle windshield. In the last two weeks as the weather has warmed I have been riding without the helmet, and the turbulence and wind notice seems to be worse than I remember before I started wearing the helmet.

With the Rifle windshield I can usually sit in a calm quiet pocket and the only thing that has changed is the mirror extenders. Has anyone else noticed that the extenders cause this issue. I can go through the whole thing and remove them if I need to, but I thought I would just ask around first.

I really like the look of the factory mirrors. I have gotten used the mirrors sticking out a bit further and having a better view of everything I pass. I almost do not want to go backwards, but I really enjoy listening to my jazz music while I ride so I may consider different mirrors. I had a quiet bike...I think and now it's not. It could be the windy springtime, but I don't know.

4857776489_02e69908de.jpg

I installed the mirror extenders and they works great!I didn't notice any turbulence/buffeting..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask someone who's losing his hearing from riding motorcycles (among other things) without hearing protection for too many years. Dude: on behalf of your ears, not to mention protecting what's supposed to be between them, why would you EVER ride without a helmet? Wind noise w/o a helmet is seriously loud. Your ears won't take that kind of a beating forever, and remember that hearing loss is non-reversible. Not to mention the obvious risks of being in an accident.

Gary

darksider #44

Some of you are right. And I do want to protect me hearing which is what prompted my question. With the Rifle screen that I use and the noise canceling hearing protection that I wear (with a little music at low volume running through) I can get rid of most all of the road noise. Once I noticed the extra noise this spring it seemed obvious to me that something was different...so I asked the question. Fortunately I do have a enough hearing to notice the difference.

As far as the safety of the helmet, well that is up for debate. I am not a memeber of ABATE fighting for the right not to have to wear a helmet, but there is information on both sides of this argument about whether it is better to wear one or not. I am about 50/50 on how much I wear mine. Maybe you live in a state where you have to wear it and you dont know any different because someone else has always told you what to do.

I simply asked the question about if the mirrors being mounted our a little farther may be affecting air the coming around the sides of the windscrean. And what the Hell is the troll detector gauge that Fred W. put up supposed to mean anyway? Does it have anything to do with my question? And as far as asking an audiologist, a helmet is not considered hearing protection.

And as far as asking an audiologist, a helmet is not considered hearing protection.
By itself....probably not to the level that's healthy for extended periods at higher speeds. However, a helmet absolutely does help reduce noise...by about 20 dBA at 70 mph. Some helmets even more. A helmet AND ear plugs are even better for extended periods and/or higher speeds.

As for the OP--if you're worrying about the very small x of mirror extender air flow to hear jazz? That's either a trolly question. And if you're not.....don't want to wear a helmet.....go put in some decent monitor ear plugs like Etymotic ER-6 and be able to listen to your music in full detail and drop 30+ dBA.

And they work great even better while wearing helmets too. ;)

I think your question is too far out of the general experience of this forum for us to offer any useful advice.

. . . other than leave the helmet on.

Some of you are right. And I do want to protect me hearing which is what prompted my question. With the Rifle screen that I use and the noise canceling hearing protection that I wear (with a little music at low volume running through) I can get rid of most all of the road noise. Once I noticed the extra noise this spring it seemed obvious to me that something was different...so I asked the question. Fortunately I do have a enough hearing to notice the difference.As far as the safety of the helmet, well that is up for debate. I am not a memeber of ABATE fighting for the right not to have to wear a helmet, but there is information on both sides of this argument about whether it is better to wear one or not. I am about 50/50 on how much I wear mine. Maybe you live in a state where you have to wear it and you dont know any different because someone else has always told you what to do.

I simply asked the question about if the mirrors being mounted our a little farther may be affecting air the coming around the sides of the windscrean. And what the Hell is the troll detector gauge that Fred W. put up supposed to mean anyway? Does it have anything to do with my question? And as far as asking an audiologist, a helmet is not considered hearing protection.
So let me get this straight, you are intelligent enough to want to protect your hearing for the future, but somehow think that helmets are "debatable" as to whether they provide any added protection for your brain in the event of an accident? Seriously?

That was the reason for the troll-o-meter. I thought that statement was just too ridiculous a position to be anything else.

I do not live in a state that mandates helmets for motorcyclists, but I wear one religiously. I have never met anyone that thinks that riding a motorcycle without a helmet is not increasing your risk of brain injury in the event of an accident by a huge amount.

If you choose to do that, to ride around without a helmet, that is fine with me... and good luck to you. We all get to decide what risks we want to take in our lives. But please be clear that there has never been a credible argument against the increased safety of wearing a crash helmet in the event of a crash. If you choose to believe the the nonsense spewed out by those troglodytes who contest helmet wearing as unsafe you are merely deluding yourself.

Peer pressure primarily affects immature, teenage kids who have a hormonal need to "fit in." Responsible adults should make up their own minds as to what they determine is safe and what isn't. I see a lot of immature teen aged 40+ year olds, playing pirate bad ass on their cruiser bikes. Those generally aren't the kind of people that buy into riding a sport touring bike.

As to the original question about the mirror extenders changing airflow:

Well, yeah! Of course they do. But you don't have your head down at mirror level do you?

As an aside, my suggestion to consult an "audiocologist" was a (apparently well disguised) jibe at the prior poster's suggestion to consult a "neural surgeon" (sic), not a serious suggestion.

...As far as the safety of the helmet, well that is up for debate.... but there is information on both sides of this argument about whether it is better to wear one or not.

...And as far as asking an audiologist, a helmet is not considered hearing protection.
Every debate requires two opposing opinions. I can assure you that 1/2 of said opinions are fielded by those who've NEVER EVER been in a position that they walked away from an accident thanking God for that helmet. We must remember in making statements like this on a public forum... that the guy who's going to find himself in an accident tomorrow will be reading YOUR WORDS today. Think about it.

Information on both sides of this argument? If by "argument" you mean the government's right to mandate helmet use, you are right, though I disagree. If however you mean the value of wearing a helmet I would have to question your sanity. And unless you have either divine protection, or defensive riding skills unmatched on this forum, accidents are only a matter of time; sooner or later ever one of us will have a seriously close call, if not worse. It's inevitable. Every one of us knows that we roll the dice every time we head out of the driveway.

Not considered hearing protection That statement makes me seriously question your reasoning skills. I'll give you this much, if you're talking about a inverted soup bowl novelty helmet, granted: absolutely no hearing protection. But modern full face helmets like my Shoei Neotec and many others provide major sound reduction at higher speeds. This is absolute fact. For example, one research paper written by Brown and Gordon (CLICKY HERE) on the subject of helmet noise reduction proves this. Quoted from the research: ...microphone was used to measure noise levels in a motorcycle helmet as a function of velocity. Noise levels were measured in two helmets, one with active noise reduction technology, and one without. The results showed that noise levels exceeded 100 dB (A) at highway speeds in the absence of noise reduction technology. The helmet with active noise control ear muffs was able to attenuate helmet noise by up to 26 dB...

We welcome your questions on this forum. However foolish statements don't garner much respect around here.

Gary

darksider #44

I enjoy a good debate...a joust even. Part of what I say may be to encourage a good debate and get someone to shout out what they believe in. Unfortunately most people on this sight, and most any other public forum probably never want to chime in because the guru's of "all things motorcycle" will cut them off at the knees if it is not what they think to be right in their world.

As far as the helmet thing, I will have to say that every layer of safety equipment we put on is just that...another layer of safety equipment. Every layer could help a bit more. I do not always wear mine bu that is my decision.

As far as advice about my words today, and their accident tomorrow or whatever you said, lets not kid ourselves. I think you take yourself too seriously and you think there are people looking to you and the other gurus to be the light unto their path. I am sorry to have to tell you but they are not. They are hear looking to find an answer about how to make their motorcycle work better. I can say all day long how I may do something or what I like to do but it is not as influential coming from an annonimous stranger from half way across the country. We may give advice about how to tune our bike or what coat to or boots to buy and someone may follow that advice because it is not a life impacting decision. Someone saying how they ride or how they live is at a different level alltogther. We are not all that influential to others at that level.

I have read a lot of articles about helmets and hearing protection as well. The hearing protection I wear is very adequate even without the helmet. So with the hearing protection and my Rifle windshield that takes away almost all wind noise and all buffeting I am well protected there. My reasoning skills are just fine. The fact that they are different than yours and I am not a frequent writer here to this forum doesnt automatically make your reasoning skills better than mine.

I enjoy coming to this forum and others, but this forum always seems to have an atmosphere of arogance to it. There are a few members that want to show their superiority to everyone else with their belittling quips and staunch advice. I realize this costs me nothing to be here and I can leave at any time, but why not do what we can to keep everyone here. I am a big boy and do not need coddled, but this whole conversation took a wrong turn when the troll-o-meter thing popped up. I figured from there this was just going to be jousting match and I love to joust!!!!! If there had been some simple answers to my questions or even none because you didnt have one than all would be fine. Maybe even an answer followed with a friendly reminder about good riding practices, but not calling my judgement into question. I dont get on here and discuss how absolutely phuckin stupid it is to even think you need a cruise control to be set faster than 85 mph. Now that one is beyond me.

I aked a simple question about anyone noticing any extra tubulance or wind noise after installing the mirror extenders. I simply added the rest of the dialog to explain the issue and perhaps get a more accurate answer.

I still do not understand the troll-o-meter thing. Are you assuming I am trolling for answers? Are you trolling for questions? Aren't we all here trolling around? What does it mean?