Coming to Florida? Be prepared....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
...because it's lovebug season!

These despicable creatures arrive twice a year (spring/fall), and wreak havoc on everyone! Well, they're here now, and it's not good for riding. The above photos were from a spot of them of about 2 minutes, and before long they will be everywhere! These guys have an acidic body, which means you have to get them off, or they will eat through your clearcoat/paint. It's permanent damage. No insect or animal will even eat them!

If you do run into them, you need to get them off by days end, because the longer they stay on, the harder it will be to get them off. Getting them off with soap and water will work (with some elbow grease), but a better method (that most here know about) is to use a dryer sheet. That's right, a dryer sheet. Just get it wet with water, and the lovebugs will be gone with very little effort. Of course, the sooner you get after them the easier it will be, but the dryer sheet is by far and away the easiest.Below I used a dryer sheet to get them all off, and followed by some Plexus to get the leftover film off, it looks like new again.

FYI- lovebug season usually lasts about 3 weeks each time.

I was down a couple of years ago and going from Sarasota to Key West my bike looked like it had a fur coat. It was the worst lovebug season in years. Wish I could find the picture.

Heading down this weekend to Siesta Key. Hope the bugs are done!