Ignition Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
It's prolly just dirty and needs lubed. I some use Graphite, I use a spray on dry lube that's dry after the alcohol carrier evaporates. Some use spray silicone.

Use electronic parts cleaner, get it moving and then lube it. Shouldn't be hard unless you bent something somehow...I guess anything's possible.

The metal slot that covers the "shutters" is made of very thin metal. A missed key insertion can bend it inwards making it difficult or impossible for the spring-loaded covers to slide into place. The metal can be carefully bent out using a small thin-bladed flat screwdriver. This is, of course, assuming that I am correctly interpreting your issue. Some silicone-based lube (as already mentioned) is a good idea.

^^^^^^^^^ Ross has the whole answer, your key flapper needs one or both and it'll be good as new.

Yeah; I haven't taken the time to nudge it to see if it'll free up. Was thinking it wasn't an odd design to where I lost a spring for one side or something silly... Thanks!

FIXED! In my link above; the metal (shiny) cover over the black slide plate was pushed down slightly - probably due to mis-keys in the past. I worked the metal up slowly but surely, now my cover works just fine! I can tell the points that I pried up, but who cares.... feel much better about that little bit of extra protection.

Thanks for the little boost to get me to spend 2 minutes agonizing over my bike in the garage, Ross :)

Last edited by a moderator: