SENA SMH10-11 Paired with Scala G9?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
Yesterday I paired my new SENA SMH10-11 with my riding buddies Scala G9. Everything went great until we stopped for a break. We both left our units on and on the bikes and then went into the store. When we came back and went to leave, they would not connect. If I pressed the jog dial, it would say something like "intercom failed". I believe it has to do with his iPhone leaving they coming back into range (his phone was in his pocket when he went in the store). I read somewhere that the Scala uses the phone protocol to connect to the SENA. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I just ran into this about 2 weeks ago myself. I use the Sena SMH10 and my coworker the Scala G9. When you pair them the Scala uses the bluetooth location normally occupied by their paired phone. We had some trouble when either of us received phone calls but they reconnected on intercom shortly after. He had to juggle back and forth between his A and B intercom positions and that cleared it up for us. I've recently heard that Scala has a firmware update available that may help.

From my understanding, the way brands are getting the interoperability to work is they're treating the other headset like it's a phone connection instead of a headset connection. So I guess when you disconnect, the phone comes back online and it's a pain to change it again (this is moderate speculation).

While an industry standard intercom connection would be best for consumers, I understand (begrudgingly) why the manufacturers don't want to do it: It's easier to convince you to buy an X brand unit when all your riding buddies also use X brand units. While I'd use the Sena regardless of what my riding buddies use (they all use Senas though) because of the ability to charge while using, for some people that's not as much a feature as is being able to talk to folks.