Escape From NY- 10,000 miles on the FJR last month

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Mushman

Reaction score
Cliff note version:

I HATE NY winters.

Had to leave to preserve what little sanity I have.

Took a tractor to get the bike out to pavement that wasn't covered with ice.

Trip started at 17 degrees F.

Rode from NY to Baja Mexico.

Farted around the American West.

Tough ride back home.

Wish I could have stayed out west.

I spend most of my internet motorcycle time at ADVRider.com so it was written up there.

https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Niehart,

Actually, the Ural trip was a bit better because it didn't involve the terrible weather I encountered last month. The FJR was the only bike that could do the times and speeds of this past ride though.

edit- I just noticed your hometown. That is where I bought the Ural. Beautiful place you live. The Oregon coast was our favorite area of the entire ride. Lucky you.

Steve McQueens ghost!
Ahhh! Someone old enough to appreciate the name. I use it on forums and also at cheap restaurants that ask you for your name to place on the order. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been called to the counter to pick up my stuff and some 55+ year old comes up to see who Harvey Mushman really was. Good way to meet other riders. Try it sometime.

edit- it's also good for driving your wife/ kids nuts- "How can you keep doing that Dad? You are embarrassing me!" What more could you ask for?

Like Niehart, I was gonna take a brief look, but ended up reading the whole thing! Great report, and the "sections" about southern Utah make me kind of homesick as I lived there for 23 years. Some great riding in that area.

Was planning a trip down there to visit my daughter and son in Cedar City, UT, and routing home via central NV in a couple weeks, and I'm excited now!

We've got some great roads up here in Idaho/Montana too, including those dual sport roads you like to take your FJR on! If you're travel through this country let me know (as you know, only in the summer, we have similar winter weather as you).

Thanks again for the report.

Also forgot to comment on the Kilroy picture. Back tire of the Ural is getting put to the test.
punk.gif

Epic ride, and great pix. We would've welcomed you in the PNW but it rained like 20 inches the past month, so you were smart to stay south.

Here I am thinking I need a KTM to ride offload, and you're making do fine on the FJR.

Post again soon, that was fun.

Nice ride report. As the ADV guys said, you are a brave man riding some of those 'roads'.

Finished reading the RR, simply awesone!
punk.gif

Glad you survived the dirt adventures with the FJR...it's not the most graceful creature off-highway.

--G