riding in virgina /outerbanks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
a group of us are riding from greenville sc to the outerbanks and virgina and back home.Leavn thursday and coming home on sunday..The plan is to go to cedar island take ferry to okracoke and up the coast to virginia beach. My real guestion is what is in viginia that we must do and ride? some have brought up going to richmond race track then getting on parkway and riding it back home. just looking for some ideas.Some have suggested going over cheasapeak bay bridge and going on up or just coming back across the bridge. THANKS

The riding around here is extremely ho-hum in my opinion. When I'm interested in riding, I leave this area.

If you're interested in scenery, you might take some of the ferries in the area. There is one that you will pass on your way North from the outer banks. The Currituck, Knotts Island Ferry. If interested in actually doing things that don't involve riding there are many things to do... a few different places for concerts, museums, festivals, wine tastings, beer tastings, etc. The Air & Space museum in Hampton is one of my favorite in this area. They also have a 3D Imax theater. Lots of culture around here. There's even a floating museum in downtown Norfolk.... Battleship Wisconsin. it's very cool!

Also, don't discount Williamsburg. The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry would definitely be the way to go to Williamsburg. It runs from Surry, VA to Jamestown... which is right @ the foot of Williamsburg.

Keep in mind... the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is tolled. I think the last time that I went across it was $12.50.

I don't want to buy the bridge! I just want to cross it. lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that Chesapeake bridge is up to $15 for cars and motorcycles.
no.gif

It must've gone up again. Pretty sure it wasn't that high the last time I went across... which was about a year & a half ago. I just looked @ your link Tom. Boy, they've jacked it all up! It used to be one price period... now they have on & off peak times.

It must've gone up again. Pretty sure it wasn't that high the last time I went across... which was about a year & a half ago. I just looked @ your link Tom. Boy, they've jacked it all up! It used to be one price period... now they have on & off peak times.
Looks like it was boosted on Jan. 1. Seems wrong that bikes get nailed for $15, ouch.
unknw.gif

I've crossed that bridge tunnel many, many times over the past 34 years. It used to only have the 1 span for all traffic. A rush was passing cars while on the bridge. In later years they build a 2nd crossing (now one for each direction) that still utilizes the same tunnels that already existed. & this isn't your normal bridge WNY. This is a bridge tunnel. There are 2 tunnels & the span of it is something like 17 miles. Gotta get those big Navy ships into port, somehow.

It's a lovely thought when in the bottom of the tunnels there may be a large Navy vessel passing over your head.

There is also the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (the scene of many a traffic clusterfuck) which doesn't compare in length to the CBBT. Altho, it was built for the same purpose... get those ships to where they're going.

& honorable mention goes to... the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel.

This entire area requires you to go through a tunnel or bridge to get in or out of here.

I would stay away from Outer banks on weekends. Like others suggested Currituck ferry ride is pretty nice. No reason to go through the Chesapeake bay tunnel. Definitely don't go onto further onto the eastern shore. Roads are straight, flat, and plenty of speed traps.

Ride:

1. Colonial Parkway out of Yorktown

2. Jump over to Rt 5. west of Williamsburg and head north

3. Come back on Rt. 10 South on the other side of James river

Yep... spent a few years in the area when I was married to Uncle Sam. Owned a little bungalow over in Hampton, so got the joy of a commute thru the tunnel when we were in port. And we passed over those same tunnels on the way in and out thru Hampton Roads. I actually liked the area a lot while we were living there. But I was young and naive and pretty much everywhere was great to me. I did like the outer banks of NC, but in a cage, not really anything special there on a bike.

For motorcycling nirvana, head away from the crowded coastline towards the hills and things are infinitely more enjoyable, IMO. (Isn't that a truism everywhere?) At least it was that way, way back then.
wink.png

For motorcycling nirvana, head away from the crowded coastline towards the hills and things are infinitely more enjoyable, IMO. (Isn't that a truism everywhere?) At least it was that way, way back then.
wink.png
The hills are a minimum 3 hour ride from Hampton Roads. Be aware of that.