Chuy has meant to participate in The Run For The Wall for many decades now,…

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Papa Chuy has been meaning to participate in The Run For The Wall for many decades now,…in 2015!

May 14 - 23, 2014 : Run For The Wall Motorcycle Event: We ride for those who can't : POW-MIA Papa Chuy has been meaning to participate in The Run For The Wall for many decades now, I served on active duty in the US Army from 1968 to 1971 as an Artilleryman. I've always wanted to make the Run to the Wall, to honor those I knew and lost during those years. So, I'm posting this up way far in advance for those from FJR Forum who may wish to ride with me. It does consume 10+ days, so if you aren't retired you may want to put in for your vacation now!

I registered on their website and absolutely will make Run to the Wall in 2015!

Sergeant Don Stanley

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been on the bcket list for many years. Never seem to have the resources to make it happen. Maybe next year will be the one.

I will have to join you. Being that it is right in my back yard, of course. Don, if you want a place to stay you are welcome at Casa de Blanchard. We can ride up together.

It's been on the bcket list for many years. Never seem to have the resources to make it happen. Maybe next year will be the one.
Brother Ray, that would be fantastic if you could make The Run to the Wall. I plan on flying Miss Donna across the Midwest, then she would ride the last 500+ miles with me!

I will have to join you. Being that it is right in my back yard, of course. Don, if you want a place to stay you are welcome at Casa de Blanchard. We can ride up together.
Sounds great Intech, I will plan on it. Are there motels/hotels near where you live? Dr. Bob Flanders (MASH Army Doctor in Vietnam!) and other AZ Beemers will be riding with me!

Sounds great Intech, I will plan on it. Are there motels/hotels near where you live? Dr. Bob Flanders (MASH Army Doctor in Vietnam!) and other AZ Beemers will be riding with me!
Absolutely! I am about 70 miles from D.C. There are choices here in King George, but there are a lot of choices in Fredericksburg. We can at least do a cookout at the house. I can provide transportation locally too, so you all can enjoy some libation!

Absolutely! I am about 70 miles from D.C. There are choices here in King George, but there are a lot of choices in Fredericksburg. We can at least do a cookout at the house. I can provide transportation locally too, so you all can enjoy some libation!
Sounds like a party...I may have to crash.

From Blind Squirrel: What route do you plan on taking to get there Don?

Doing some research I see that they run three different but simultaneous routes each year: Southern, Midway and Central; I probably will ride the Central Route, since I have ridden the Southern and Midway route on M/C rides many time before!

Run For The Wall recognizes the sacrifices and contributions made by all veterans who have served our nation. Veterans of recent conflicts and those currently on active duty are especially welcome to join us as we ride for those who cannot.Mission Statement: To promote healing among ALL veterans and their families and friends, to call for an accounting of all Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action (POW/MIA), to honor the memory of those Killed in Action (KIA) from all wars, and to support our military personnel all over the world.

Philosophy: We strive to maintain a safe, supportive and private atmosphere in which all participants can reflect and heal on their journey to the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. in the hope that they can return home to a new beginning.

Goals:

1. To guide the participants across America.
  2. To educate future generations as to the importance of accountability in wartime actions emphasizing that no one should be left behind.

Did it back in 1996, was a long day back then, likely more participants now. Not any shade in the Pentagon parking lot where everyone assembled, be a good idea to pack along something to drink, D.C. can be hot and humid that time of the year.

Rolling%2520Thunder%25202%252C%25205-99.jpg

Don, wish you the best on this sojourn, but it's not something I could do. Riding long slow days on interstates and major highways in a 300 cruiser parade formation is just unpossible. I have paid my tribute, was subject to the draft in 72 and have friends on that wall, but I'll pay my respects privately and on my own terms. Good luck and hope this trip meets all your expectations. I assume Seth is riding with you? That alone would be worth it.

If you decide to break formation and explore a bit, on the way home, you have a place to stay and a ride partner in PA. I don't mean to offend, just be sure this is really for you...

Thanks Tom, yes Son Seth will be riding with me. I hear you loud and clear Brother, only 300 miles a day in parade formation will be maddening!

However, I just have to do it before I finally croak (I'm almost as OLD as Niehart!). jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Woooooooooo! Party at Bob's!!!!!!

Did it back in 1996, was a long day back then, likely more participants now. Not any shade in the Pentagon parking lot where everyone assembled, be a good idea to pack along something to drink, D.C. can be hot and humid that time of the year.
I've heard it referred to as the "Crawl to the wall" because of the number of bikes involved and (lack of) speed to get from the Pentagon to the wall.

Woooooooooo! Party at Wayne's!!!!!!
Wayne's???...don't you meen Bob's?

Woooooooooo! Party at Bob's!!!!!!
Wayne's???...don't you meen Bob's?
That's what I said :whistle:

I've heard it referred to as the "Crawl to the wall" because of the number of bikes involved and (lack of) speed to get from the Pentagon to the wall.
The pedestrians stepping into crosswalks thinking the motorcyclists would slam on the brakes to avoid them didn't help matters any. D.C. has some that have about the same IQ and behavior patterns as deer.

My in laws drove the run while their friends rode back in 2000. My in laws carried all the luggage. No more than 300 miles per day, sometimes only 200. Lots of stops, and parade formation with TONS of Harleys.

If you want we can ride the same route but at better speeds. I'll go with you, and I'm betting we could pick up lots of FJR riders along the way. Not sure I would like that many days at 60mph for that distance in a crowd like that.

I'd love to go back to the wall...