Morman Emigrant Trail update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
FYI....Rode up Silverfork from Hwy 50 in Kyburz and as of Sunday May 4 it is NOT open
upset.gif
2 foot drifts at 7,000 feet. Perhaps someone will post up when it is clear to ride through to 88.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doug - was going to try that route myself this weekend - Seems you and i are a little too hopeful,more likely june except last year !

Found this at - https://eldoradocnps.org/about-places/iron-mountain-road-mormon-emigrant-trail

When? Any time from May (but possibly not until late June) until October. The road starts at 3500' and is not plowed. Result? Snow is guaranteed to block the road from December (more likely November) well into Spring.

In 2005 the road wasn't clear until the 4th of July,

in 2006 it was opened in late June,

in 2007 it opened in late May,

in 2008, mid June!.

In 2009 23 May 09

In 2010 it opened on 21 June.

In 2011 it was on 9 July!

In 2012, 31 May.

In 2013, 7 May.

USFS Road Conditions can be checked here, but they don't update the information every day

FYI....Rode up Silverfork from Hwy 50 in Kyburz and as of Sunday May 4 it is NOT open
upset.gif
2 foot drifts at 7,000 feet. Perhaps someone will post up when it is clear to ride through to 88.
Funny, I rode North South Road to Mormon Emigrant to Silver Fork out to Kyburz on Sunday.
smile.png

So Mormon Emigrant is closed at the south end near Iron Mountain?

upset.gif
Funny, I rode North South Road to Mormon Emigrant to Silver Fork out to Kyburz on Sunday.
smile.png

So Mormon Emigrant is closed at the south end near Iron Mountain?
Yeah, most likely it's only a mile or so that has snow. We gave up after losing pavement to snow. Had I been on the KLR I would have gone farther.

DougieDog, I can't believe you let 2' snow drifts stop you.KTM or HondaSofa?
KTM, too bad I didn't have the Hippo with the mud and snow rear tire- it would have made it. Easy

Yup! The way was shut!

IMAG0817.jpg

Glad you made it back safely from the 'other' side of the Sierras Dougie. Did you ride Tioga pass?

Someone i know contacted the Amador Ranger District (ph 209-295-4251) this morning to find out their estimate as to when they think MET will be opened. They said their "guess" would be by June 1.

89 back to 88 you mean? It was cold on Sunday afternoon when I passed through there, but I had heated grips on the Strom (and hand guards). The Strom is supposed to be the summer bike, but I had to finish those tires off. :)