Loop ride from LA to the Columbia River and back, May 31st

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
We have a road trip planned starting Saturday morning May 31st and returning Sunday June 8th. We'll be leaving from northern LA going up the Sierra until we pick up the Cascade and when we hit the Columbia river turn west to the coast. One flex day on the coast of Oregon then returning via the coast south to San Francisco and then home. We'll be visiting the Gold Country, Lake Tahoe, Lassen, Mt. Shasta, Crater Lake, Columbia Gorge, Oregon Coast and the California redwoods. We're doing 275 - 350 miles a day. We're planning to stay in hotels but I think most places we stop will have campgrounds nearby also. So far we have 3 bikes (1 FJR), myself, my wife and a friend. It would be fun to have a few more bikes along if anybody is interested in joining us. We're all experienced riders and ride at a good clip but like to stop and see the sights along the way. We don't party much, just taking it easy and enjoying some great riding.

jgroenke

Thanks for the tip, will do. CA snow pack is at 30% of normal this year so I hadn't considered it an issue but making assumptions can be dangerous.

jgroenke

do you have any details on the plan for the last weekend on the way back from Oregon? I'm always up for a day or two riding through the roads in and out of Fortuna.

Based on 375 miles per day I'm guessing that you'll be getting into the Fortuna/Eureka area by Friday night, then take two days to travel down the Cali coast - does that sound about right?

If that's right, I might be up for joining your group on Friday then riding down from that area back down to Bay Area on Saturday.

Your trip sounds great!

If your going down the Columbia River to Vancouver you need to hit up Rowena Loop, on the OR side West of The Dalles, lots of great road in OR

We have a road trip planned starting Saturday morning May 31st and returning Sunday June 8th. We'll be leaving from northern LA going up the Sierra until we pick up the Cascade and when we hit the Columbia river turn west to the coast. One flex day on the coast of Oregon then returning via the coast south to San Francisco and then home. We'll be visiting the Gold Country, Lake Tahoe, Lassen, Mt. Shasta, Crater Lake, Columbia Gorge, Oregon Coast and the California redwoods. We're doing 275 - 350 miles a day. We're planning to stay in hotels but I think most places we stop will have campgrounds nearby also. So far we have 3 bikes (1 FJR), myself, my wife and a friend. It would be fun to have a few more bikes along if anybody is interested in joining us. We're all experienced riders and ride at a good clip but like to stop and see the sights along the way. We don't party much, just taking it easy and enjoying some great riding.
jgroenke
That sounds like a terrific ride I'd like to join as I am head from Dallas to Vancouver but it looks like I will be a a few days behind you. Would love to have a group of tour guides.