clan gathering travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
For those with northen Kali local knowlege . How safe is it to travel in the higher elevations this time of year. I'm trying to plan a route. I thought about 89 on the way down and drop down to Angels camp and on to Sonora but am a little concerned about white shit. My bride has never seen any of this country or Tahoe so it would be fun for her to see. Most opinions are welcome except maybe for OM. He is really old and might get me lost.
rolleyes.gif

Monitor Pass Hwy 89 and Carson pass Hwy 88 were clear. Hwy 70 is clear, Doug reports La Porte road is also clear, I am assuming Hwy 49 is as well below Quincy to Nevada City. Not sure about 89 west of Lake Tahoe, but last week when I was there, the other highways around Tahoe were clear. 89 between Chester and Quincy also clear. Lassen was still closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . a little concerned about white shit.
Just don't ride under any wires that cross the road where pigeons might be sitting.

Your route sounds fine to me. Unless, you know, it snows. It probably won't, though. All the passes are open now, three weeks ahead of this party. OTOH, the morning we left LaPine a couple years ago was about as cold as I'm ever interested in riding, and that was freaking summer.

All the passes are open. Really down on snow this year .. Less than 30% of the usual snowpack... Looking at the mountain as we speak

I just pulled the Bushtec out of the garage. Patti says we are draging it along in case she finds quilt stores to shop in. Leaving here O-Dark thirty Wed. and planning on spending the night at south lake Tahoe. Thursday 89 through Markleeville and down the hill to angels camp. 49 to Sonora.

Don, bring your KZ brain cause we need to sort out some electrics.

Looking forward.Bring or send pix of what's got you stumped.

I'm leaving Wed night, will meander and wind up wherever I do..