My Son The Racer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

Good luck trying to explain road racing to anyone that has not done it.

I am 67 years old and still race. I have tried to explain it to friends and family for years and they look at me like I'm a crazy old fool. You can sit around in the pits and talk racing all day and night long and everyone seems to understand everything. Outsiders use words like "Death Wish" and "Suicidal"

My last "Get Off" was at about 80 MPH, broke my foot, three ribs, two fingers, and sprained my neck. My family tried everything short of having me committed to get me to stop racing, but six weeks later I was right back at it. They couldn't understand my being third in the points standing in my class with only three events left in our clubs season.

My stamina and reflexes have left me long ago, but the rush I get from chasing some newbe around the track for nine laps, just to pass him by a wheel, coming out of the last turn, for 15th place is beyond explanation.

Do yourself and your son a favor. Put down the camera and go out and get yourself a little, race preped, 250 Ninja, take a few track days, get your race license, and go racing.

You won't believe how much fun it is to finish last.

Gray Ray #65

Moto Series

Thanks for the encouragement.... I have ridden next to the boy several times. We were on Silverado Road in Napa once when I pulled into the left lane to pass. I think I was above 90 when I watched him pass me at well over 100 mph on one wheel. It is humbling to think of the skill he has that I will only dream about. He has that love of adrenaline and speed. Fun to watch but not fun to take him to the hospital after an accident. It is his passion and I admire his drive. For now I will stick to the FJR and the Goldwing.

Speed Mob
yes2.gif

I really miss racing. Not in the budget right now. But I can see myself doing it again some day. There is nothing better than getting the turn right and that fluid motion of the bike making the turn.

He has a nice bike and some mad skills.

Those are cool pixs and an awesome video. If I had the money, I would be racing asphalt and flat track. I love going, but need money to blow on bikes and equipment. Hmmmmm, maybe if I rob my girls' college fun

Awesome Dr. Rich! The rider skill, at the 2:16 mark on the video when the Repsol rider was "backing" it in, was phenomenal! Nose wheelies, albeit small ones, at those speeds are just beyond the pale. I always am dazzled how these riders can "feel" how close they can get (usually) to the ragged edge of traction, keep the bike under control and do that turn after turn. Amazing stuff! Please post more of your son's racing, so a slow guy like me can live vicariously through him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Son that races = pop's revenue stream. Oh wait he looks old enough to control his own money. But maybe he needs a manager?
smile.png

Is he going to Miller in Salt lake, I maybe there with a guy I work with this year. His name is Kelcey Walker or AKA "Walker the Stalker" as he rides like Val Rossi. Follows closely until late in the race then moves to the front rather quickly. He races in Colorado for a sponser in Farmington NM. He is now recovering from a shoulder injury, but should be ready to get back on the bike soon

Rich, Good luck trying to explain road racing to anyone that has not done it.

I am 67 years old and still race. I have tried to explain it to friends and family for years and they look at me like I'm a crazy old fool. You can sit around in the pits and talk racing all day and night long and everyone seems to understand everything. Outsiders use words like "Death Wish" and "Suicidal"

My last "Get Off" was at about 80 MPH, broke my foot, three ribs, two fingers, and sprained my neck. My family tried everything short of having me committed to get me to stop racing, but six weeks later I was right back at it. They couldn't understand my being third in the points standing in my class with only three events left in our clubs season.

My stamina and reflexes have left me long ago, but the rush I get from chasing some newbe around the track for nine laps, just to pass him by a wheel, coming out of the last turn, for 15th place is beyond explanation.

Do yourself and your son a favor. Put down the camera and go out and get yourself a little, race preped, 250 Ninja, take a few track days, get your race license, and go racing.

You won't believe how much fun it is to finish last.

Gray Ray #65

Moto Series
Amen brother. Former CCS, LRRS #159 expert, former lightweight class amateur champ, racked up close to 100 podiums over 8 years and it was one of the greatest thrills of my lifetime. 54 and retired 3 years now from competitive racing but still enjoy track days. Just did one Monday and man am I so sore! You are right, the thrill of the competition makes it so much fun no matter where you finish! Many, many great memories.

I wish Dr. Rich's son a long, safe, successful and enjoyable time in racing.