From AZ Beemer Brian Boles: IBA BB1500 in June.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
From AZ Beemer Brian Boles: IBA BB1500 in June.

From the BBG thread, it seems like maybe there's a lot of folks who would like to get that first Iron Butt Cert.

So, maybe a club BB1500 ride ?

Same basic route as the 4 corners, but after Teec Nos Pos, just head directly back to Phoenix by way of 160, 89 and I-17.

IN!

Last edited by a moderator:
From FlyGuy405:

Did a ss1k with my daughter a couple weeks ago.
Gilbert->Yuma->Quartzite->Ash Springs->Globe->Safford->Tucson->Gilbert. About 1029 miles took 18 hours. Plus if you do all in state, they have a Pin for that.

Hey AZ Brian, what about this route that Mark and his daughter did a couple weeks ago? Like TexasT pointed out, this one would put us on high speed interstates. Let's us finish six hours early, so Crazey Davey Cooleyman and Papa Chuy Viejo can go pee and smoke cigarettes! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Or something like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/NyxSx

Many thanks to Enrique and Beemer Don for being my witnesses ! ;D

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

Back from my ride. 1550 miles completed in 23 hours. Feeling quite good, but I smell like a dead skunks ass. I carried 2 coolie vests to swap back and forth, but it was still hot. The first 500 miles included the Salt River Canyon and had open road from the river on up. Great fun. The second 500 included some roads I had never been on before, like I-40 west of Ash Fork, AZ-71 down to Aguila and US-60 to Quartzite. I crossed the 1000 mile mark just east of Yuma at about 10PM. This put me about 2 hours ahead of schedule. In the first 1000, I was usually running about 83 in the 75 freeway sections and 72 on the 65 two lane sections. The last 500 was all freeway, and since it was night and I had time to spare, I backed down about 5.

I had a 75 MPH moving average and 69MPH overall average. Yes, my stops were quick, only one exceeding 10 minutes and some as short as 5.

My next goal is the 50CC.

Time for a shower, nap, and bike wash.

Some interesting ride statistics, after I crunched the numbers -

I finished 7 minutes later than Google said I would. So, with very short stops and +5 to +10 on the speedo, it is possible to match Google's time estimates.

Google said the route was 1564. The bike said it is 1546. So, the bike odometer reads a little low by a little over 1%. Which by odometer standards is pretty damn accurate.

I spent $178.53 on gas. The most (4.699/gal) in Wikieup and the least (3.499/gal) in Tempe. Average was $4.00/gal.

The bike averaged 34.7 MPG. Not bad for a 1600cc engine ! The best was 53.2 MPG between Safford and Globe. The slow speed through Safford/Thatcher/Pima improves the mileage. The worst was 30 MPG between Yuma and Eloy. Pushing the big fairing through the wind at higher freeway speeds eats the gas. I didn't take the time to fill up to the exact same level, so the individual MPG's are probably off somewhat.