Out Smarting Mother Nature

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
After talking with and listening to people discuss the Heat we Zonies face living in Arizona, I thought now would be a great time to explain a little about this great and wonderful, yet very hot and unforgiving state we call home.

When a ride is planned and you decide or at least think you'd like to be part of this ride, certain things must be considered. OK, lets face it, many of us Zonies live just this side of Hell when it comes to our daily summertime temperatures. Hot? You bet it is. Usually by June 1st, Lake Havasu usually doesn't drop below 100 degrees even in the middle of the night. During the day, we can easily reach temps into the 120's. And the temps you see on weather reports, well you have to take into consideration that those temps are recorded at our ittle airport which is directly across a very large body of water, making the temp being recorded much, much cooler. And Phoenix and its surrounding area, is about 10 degrees cooler than Havasu, but if its 122 here, then 112 in Phoenix isn't exactly time to pull out the jackets either.

So lets get down to some basics. Most people when they come here for a motorcycle gathering, they ride through the heat complaining all the way. Then they say something like "on Sunday when we head home, we will get up bright and early and beat the heat". Forget it, there is no beating the heat. Remember, chances are it'll alreasdy be at, above or real close to that hundred degree mark by the time you load your bike. Taking the ride from Silver City into consideration. Lets say you live in sunny California and in order to beat the heat, you are up at 5am, showered and loading your bike by 05:30 and on the road by 6am if you skip breakfast. But if you have breakfast with the gang before departing, it is now 7am or later by the time you hit the road. So you leave Silver City heading West on I-10, its a 200 mile trip to Tucson, about 3hrs. You hit Tucson by10:00-10:30 because you stopped once for fuel and maybe a pit stop. It feels nice in Tucson, warm but not bad. You start convincing yourself you've beat the heat. In reality, you don't realize tucson ranges from about 2600 to 4500 feet in elevation, of course its cooler. Kind of like the calm before the storm. So maybe you fuel up again in Tucson and grab something to drink and stretch your legs before head "North" on I-10 towards Phoenix. Now Phoenix is about 115 miles from Tucson. Because the road from Tucson to Phoenix is usually pretty crowded with traffic and LEO, it will take you a good part of 2hrs and that is provided no accidents. So now you are pulling into Phoenix between 12;30 and 1pm. Now you've just riden Down to Phoenix and you are entering the 4th largest city in the country that is over 50 miles wide and on most days will take you a full hour to cross. So right about now you are realizng that the heat you thought you were going to beat, not only caught up to you, but its beginning to beat your ass. So combined with the heat and exhaust fumes, the sweat running down your head under your helmet, all you can think of is getting through Phoenix so you can pick up the pace a little bit to get home. Surprise, as you head West, you are now heading in my direction, the temp is raising and although it may only jump 10 degrees, it will feel like it climbing at least one degree with every mile. By the time you reach Quartzsite 129 miles or about 2hrs later, you are pretty much wondering why you didn't trailer your bike and you'd be sitting in the A/C watching all of the other fools ride by knowing exactly how they are feeling and what they too are thinking as they pass you looking at your smiling face holding that cold drink in your hand inside the cap of your air conditioned truck. Well, at least you'll be crossing into California or SOCAL in only another 30 minutes into Blythe, CA. What a relief as you see the sign, "Welcome to California", but now you only have another 120 miles or 1hr 50min to reach Palm Springs where it has been just as hot as Phoenix was. About this time you're thinking "what the hell was I thinking when I signed up for this ride in New Mexico? Now I remember the torture I went through last time I rode to the Grand Canyon in July and told myself I would never do that again. How time helps us forget. Anyway, the 500-675 miles you just covered to reach home really seemed like 2,000 miles because most of the trip the heat was really getting you down.
Are there things you can do to minimize the effects of the heat? Of course, to some degree anyway. I remember times when I would stop at a gas station or store and turn on a hose and soak myself down nice and wet. It felt great in that heat, however, within fifteen minutes of being back on the bike, I was completely dry. Sometimes you'll see rain in the distance and rush towards it and watch as it fades away. You can buy those soaking things that you either wrap around your neck or wear like a shirt, but regardless of what you do, when the temp is above 110 degrees and the humidity is under 15 percent, whatever you wet is going to dry almost as fast as you can wet it down.

Don't try to beat the heat, because you can't. The lower desert heat is there and nothing is going to stop it or slow it down. The worst time of the day is when the sun start heading towards the ground. But being the days last a very long time during the summer, that makes the worst time to be crossing the desert on a motorcycle is between 1pm and 6pm, with 2-5pm being the absolute worst time. It will kick your ass. And if you are heading West into the sun, expect the misery to be two-fold, beause that sun is relentless and very unforgiving, especially when its punching you in the face with no remorse. So what do you do. Actually its really knid of simple. You look at where you're going and when you are coming back. get out the maps and figure the best way to ride very early, but not past 10am, or ride in the evening after the sun breaks, or you head for the high country. people tend to think Arizona is nothing but desert, not knowing we, along with New Mexico have hundreds of miles through beautiful forests and mountains. On this upcoming SWFOG bike trip to Silver City, NM, myself and two other riders will depart Silver City about 9am heading into the mountains with our first target is Flagstaff, where its cool and crisp. From there we will (unfortuniately) jump on the freeway (I-40) heading West, arriving in Kingman about 7pm. Kingman, being only 60 miles from Havasu is a lot cooler. And come June 1st, it won't get dark until well past 8pm. I say this because Bambi and all of her relatives LOVE the Arizona mountain areas, so riding just before dark or just after sunrise in our mountains requires extreme vigilence being on the lookout for Bambi and her friends. So as we leave Silver City on our roughly 600 mile journey home will take about 11 hours, but we will stay cooler and enjoy the ride, the views and be able to totally take our time and arrive home in the light by 8pm. The only area that might be still pretty warm will be from Kingman, AZ to Lake Havasu City, AZ which is 60 miles. And although it might very well be at or above 100 degrees, once that killer sun settles behind the California mountains, it actually feel really good blowing over you. So the Heat cannot be beat, but it can be mostly out smarted.

Just Saying, Enough Said!

DO NOT rely on bottles of water at stops. Maybe not this trip or the next, but sooner or later, you will pass out at speed and die. Ask Gary if you don't believe me. For a simulation if this, for sit in your car in the summer and blast a blow dryer into your face while you roast your parts.

Get a hydration system. A CamelBak, water jug with a drink tube, or something that will let you access water while under way will go a very long way towards avoiding the raging headache, thick yellow pee, and heat sickness.

Those cooling vests that don't work in the eastern states work wonders due to our lack of humidity. Drink, stay cool, use sunscreen, cover up, and be smart.

It can be brutal, but the open scenery is bad ass!

Makes me want to go..

so how about a Death Valley run in August?
flirt.gif

Thanks for reminding me WHY I left AZ, Big D & HRZ! (Redding gets damn hot, but not for as long and it cools off at night) You are very correct on riding through the desert during the summer. I have experienced exactly what you have written going from Tucson to see my sister in LA in July. Had a cooling neckerchief thing and Camelback for the trip. Every gas stop (and water stop) would fill the camelback and drink the remainder and then some. Did not piss for the entire day, even after I got to my sisters place and continued to drink water like a fish.

I would add that Anti Monkey Butt is essential for desert crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big-D Its funny that you've started this thread as I have been thinking about what type of gear to wear when I leave next Wednesday. My favorite gear is a set of Klime Latitude coat and pants. It would be my best gear for the trip down through the plains and CO mountains but am afraid it will be a poor choice for NM.

I have a Olympia Stealth one piece mesh suit that I almost have no use for in ND but bought cheap when they were discontinued. My big question is,I prefer to ride ATGATT, would this be a good choice for the NM & AZ dry heat or am I better off with something that flows less air. If this is my outer layer that I bring, I would have to bring additional rain gear, along wind proof & thermal under layering for the many conditions I expect to encounter.

I like the Olympia Stealth mesh suit but it is only good for the middle of the day up here. When I have been caught out after dark I have been quickly chilled.

one can escape up to the "hills" of Colorado in the summer. very fun place to ride and the scenery is fine, especially on the western slope of Colorado.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity that will get you.
smile.png
Russ Bro', they're a pack of sniveling pussies; you never hear of Papa Chuy Viejo complaining about heat in our beautiful Sonoran desert, turn it up El Diablo!

That was a big rant he posted.

I figger he's jus tryin to keep out the rif raf.

I get it.....

He probably screwed hisself for future employment with the AZ tourism company tho....

:)

That was a big rant he posted.I figger he's jus tryin to keep out the rif raf.

I get it.....

He probably screwed hisself for future employment with the AZ tourism company tho....

smile.png
rushes, with our Big-D it is just the peyote talking! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

OFF TOPIC: I just got off of the phone with Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery, he said to say Hola to You and the rest of the Mexico Copper Canyon Ride Crew!

DO NOT rely on bottles of water at stops. Maybe not this trip or the next, but sooner or later, you will pass out at speed and die. Ask Gary if you don't believe me.
Get a hydration system. A CamelBak,

Those cooling vests that don't work in the eastern states work wonders due to our lack of humidity. Drink, stay cool, use sunscreen, cover up, and be smart.
+1 on that CamelBak idea. When the temps get above 110, there's nothing like a good slug of ice water. I stopped about every 1.5 - 2 hours to fill it, and take a break. I found that not only did it keep me hydrated, the ice cold water actually cools ya off a good deal just because it's seriously cold. I averaged drinking about a half gallon per hour, give or take a little. Can't thank Zilla enough for insisting I borrow his Camelback for my jaunt across the desert. Actually across several deserts. I had no idea what it was like to ride through that kind of heat... and I live in Florida. Here, Baker airwings are your friend. In the desert, they are not. You absolutely do not want any extra air blowing on ya. It's just like Z said... it feels like a hair dryer blowing on ya, the air is so hot.

Gary

my Harley friends think I'm nuts for riding in 110+ temps in a full face, pants, jacket, gloves and boots. I get the last laugh when we get 100 miles into our ride and they are red as lobsters AND hot.

I guess I buried my question in my post above.

Do you want to wear full mesh gear in that dry heat or do you want to block the hot air with just a few vents open?

I guess I buried my question in my post above.
Do you want to wear full mesh gear in that dry heat or do you want to block the hot air with just a few vents open?
I have the same suit. It works well in the heat. When it gets in the 110's nothing is going to keep you cool.

I think mesh is still the way to go in the extreme heat.