• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - rear wheel- update, found one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJet09

Nondescript FJR Hierarchy Displayed
Reaction score
Looking for a late Gen II (2008-on) rear wheel. I prefer a 2009, so I don't have to get it painted black.

Found an '08 wheel on fleabay, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit a pothole right after I got my bike years ago and put a little bend in the front wheel. At the time, I was in a hurry to get it back on the road so I just bought a new one. I'm going to send that out and get it fixed, so it'd be nice to also have a rear.

It seems every year I'm taking tires that have a couple thousand miles left in them off right before a Ramble or other gathering, telling myself I'll put them back on later in the year to finish them off. It's just enough work, with getting the tire changer down from the attic and balancing them and all that, I never seem to get around to it. 80% of my riding is commuting to work on truly straight, flat and boring roads, so it'd be perfect to just swap wheels and all and save the good rubber for bike trips.

That makes sense and it's a good idea too. I pretty much do the same thing. I just put on a set of PR4's with a couple thousand miles left on the PR2's. What a waist.

Same here. I've got a spare rear wheel for my ZRX and had one for the Goldwing. Turns out I don't use the spare for the ZRX often, but the Goldwing wheel saved quite a lot of rubber.

I've got a 3000 mile trip coming up next month, and the rear tire might / might not make it. I'll go ahead and mount new rubber before the trip, but I'd love to have a spare wheel to swap out. Problem is, what's it worth? A rear tire's about $160. If I throw away a couple of thousand miles here and there, how long will it take to pay for that wheel? Guess I need to dig the slide rule out
smile.png

I have taken off what seemed to be decent rubber in anticipation of a longer trip. This Spring, I put one of those PR2 takeoffs on thinking it might see me halfway through the summer. That rear tire was worn smooth nearly edge to edge at the SEOR and I nursed it home.

Conclusion? I don't think that last 40% of tire tread is worth much in either handling or wear. Tires go away faster than you think at the end of life, and with a new one costing $124 delivered (T30), the cost of using that takeoff is pretty high since I don't have a tire machine. I have a front PR2 with decent tread, but I won't put it on because PR2s handle like ass in the last 30% of life, and the life is likely a lot less than it appears. Free to a good home.

I have taken off what seemed to be decent rubber in anticipation of a longer trip. This Spring, I put one of those PR2 takeoffs on thinking it might see me halfway through the summer. That rear tire was worn smooth nearly edge to edge at the SEOR and I nursed it home.
Conclusion? I don't think that last 40% of tire tread is worth much in either handling or wear. Tires go away faster than you think at the end of life, and with a new one costing $124 delivered (T30), the cost of using that takeoff is pretty high since I don't have a tire machine. I have a front PR2 with decent tread, but I won't put it on because PR2s handle like ass in the last 30% of life, and the life is likely a lot less than it appears. Free to a good home.
I agree, they aren't worth crap for the last 30% of their life, but I'd just be using them to commute to work and it'd be easy enough to swap wheels before a trip.

This is a common situation, I think.

Seemed like every year I'd be pulling tires off the FJR that still had a couple thousand miles left on them (in dry weather, or by SkooterG standards), yet because I was heading to BFE in the monsoon season, or out on a long ride that I didn't want to be stressing about my tahrs, I'd swap it 'em out and throw the old worn tire(s) on "the pile". Well the old tire pile grows continuously taller every year, until they get age checked and hauled to the town dump, as I am less wont to put an old tire with only a couple thousand miles left on it back on vs. just ordering a new skin.

But... if it were still mounted on a perfectly fine and previously balanced wheel, well... I'd swap the wheels in a jiffy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a common situation, I think.
Seemed like every year I'd be pulling tires off the FJR that still had a couple thousand miles left on them (in dry weather, or by SkooterG standards), yet because I was heading to BFE in the monsoon season, or out on a long ride that I didn't want to be stressing about my tahrs, I'd swap it 'em out and throw the old worn tire(s) on "the pile". Well the old tire pile grows continuously taller every year, until they get age checked and hauled to the town dump, as I am less wont to put an old tire with only a couple thousand miles left on it back on vs. just ordering a new skin.

But... if it were still mounted on a perfectly fine and previously balanced wheel, well... I'd swap the wheels in a jiffy.
Exactly!

Which is why I have always had spare wheels. Had a spare set for my non-abs '04 - which reminds me I need to sell those! I have a spare set for my abs Gen I, and a spare rear for my Gen II 08+. I have been trying to find a relatively inexpensive Gen II 08+ front but they are hard to come by. At least inexpensively. And all the salvage types always take everything off the wheel making it expensive to put one together. Cripes.