Alaska Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a six week trip planned for June & July this summer (if it ever gets here) from Ottawa, Ontario to Alaska and home via the Rockies (Icefields Parkway), Vancouver (Sea to Sky Hwy), Montana (Going to the Sun Road) & South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore area & the Badlands). A non-FJR buddy and I are going.

Has anyone been up on the Alcan recently? If so, do you have any tips or info that you can pass along? Also, we plan on a run up to the Arctic Circle...does anyone have any info on this stretch or road or the area?

Thanks folks,

Dennis

Sounds like a great scenic ride. Too far for me to consider doing until I retire...I'm sure 101step would argue otherwise.

Might see you up there, leaving June 21st and coming back a month later riding DR and XR 650's. Watching the Alaska section of ADV Rider it looks like most of the roads are open and road work beginning. Coldfoot has gas/lodging for the Arctic Circle run, not sure if you need reservations if you are not camping? If you are just shooting out and back from Fairbanks you don't have to worry about it. Have fun!

I lived in Fairbanks for 16 years and have ridden back up there every year since we moved to Montana

Check out the dorms at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Less expensive than the cheapest flea bag motel. Spartan, but clean and safe. When I ran the joint we would have 3-400 riders a summer stay there and most were heading up the Dalton. Good way to get real time info on the road and meet traveling partners.

By the way, to my knowledge the fastest motorcycle trip ever made on the Dalton was on an FJR with ME880 tires. Left the Napa in Deadhorse at 9 PM and met me and my wife at a carwash in Fairbanks at 3:45 AM. Six hours 45 minutes to go 500 miles of which about 320 is unpaved; and it was raining. That's about a 74 MPH average and he stopped for fuel in Coldfoot. The late John Ryan was on the first leg of his record setting ride to Key West. He washed his wheels, put on his side cases and then was on his way.

P6060005.jpg

Arctic Circle is at Mile Marker 115 on the Dalton. A good portion of the Dalton is paved between the start and the circle, but the pavement is pretty rough. If it is not raining` then you should not have much trouble. Last time I was there a guy was there on a Wing. The start of the Dalton is about 85 miles from Fairbanks. The last fuel is at Hilltop at mile 5 of the Elliot Hwy. Only fuel on the Dalton before the circle is at the Yukon Bridge at mile 60; best place to eat is the Hot Spot Cafe at mile 65 or so. First 15 miles of the Dalton is often kept in rough shape. This is supposed to keep tourists in RVs and rental cars away. The next stop of significance after the circle is Coldfoot at mile 176. Food, fuel and lodging. If the road is in good shape you may want to push there for food and fuel. If you decide to overnight, then go to Wiseman at around mile 190. No fuel or food, but a couple of nice places to stay. Your biggest threat is coming upon a maintenance operation where they are grading the road and applying calcium chloride. Can be like riding in greasey potting soil. Best thing to do is stop and let several trucks go thru and pack it down. I wouldn't take my FJR up there because of the effects of the calcium chloride. Best bike for the haul road is a rental no larger than a 650cc. Remember this is a working road with a bunch of truck traffic. Do not stop on the road or in a place where you cannot be seen from a good distance. If a truck is coming up from behind, then pull over and let him go. Best to pull to the edge when you meet a truck going the other way as well. Good info at this thread over on the Alaska Regional Forum of ADV Rider. (https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943656) Ask questions over there and you'll get good answers.

The ALCAN is nothing special to ride these days. All paved, although you may hit a 50 mile construction zone of dirt. Plenty of fuel, but not all pumps have card access so when the joint closes there is no fuel. Plenty of places to stay. Can be difficult to find a room around Ft. Nelson (oil activity) and Whitehorse. If you are not camping then you may want to make reservations a day or two out. Take at least a sleeping bag just in case. Bug dope and a head net are a good idea. Be able to repair a flat. If your buddy has a chain drive then make sure it is in good shape and he knows how to take care of it. Consider a SPOT tracker to amuse friends and family. MedJet Assist is a good idea.Come home on the Cassiar. More scenic, less developed and a natural way to get to the Icefield Parkway. You probably will not get up the going to the sun road before late July... gobs of snow up there. Get a copy of the Milepost; it will tell you all you need to know about the routes.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info...especially you Kevin...great stuff...I read over your post three times to get everything out of it!.

We leave June 16th and won't be home until the last day of July. We figure about 23,000 km before any extra exploring. We're doing the hotel / motel / hostel thing in various places just to mix things up. We're in a hostel in Fairbanks for a couple of nights (Billie's Backpackers Hostel). Taking one day just to get up to the Circle and back...then washing up the bikes of course. We have nine nights in Alaska.

We are indeed planning on coming back on the Cassiar.

We should be hitting the Going to the Sun Road mid to late July so I hope it will be a go...I hear its a major bucket list ride for many folks. If not, we may opt for a visit to Yellowstone since we'll be close by (Beartooth Pass & Chief Joseph Scenic Byway).

I have copy of the Milepost...everywhere I turned, this was suggested. My buddy and I have been getting together every couple of weeks and its been a great source of info but its the 2013 edition that why the call in case there was some more current info. The other day I just found out I could download it for free since I bought the paper version. That was great! I just loaded on my laptop so now I don't need to worry about the extra weight from the book.

My buddy was thinking about the SPOT, not sure what he decided just yet. We're getting together again this Monday to go over the "what if this happens" scenarios (i.e. someone wrecks their bike, you gonna rent and keep going, ride two up...one person out due to accident, will the other keep going once the other is taken care of with family in town...etc). We both have picked up emergency medical insurance that has air evacuation.

UberKul,

If I can figure out a way to post a PDF, I'll put up our "route" (such as it is...best laid plans and all that!). Maybe we might be able to run into each other (figuratively speaking of course) and have a beer and share some stories! :)

Dennis

I lived in Fairbanks for 16 years and have ridden back up there every year since we moved to Montana
Check out the dorms at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Less expensive than the cheapest flea bag motel. Spartan, but clean and safe. When I ran the joint we would have 3-400 riders a summer stay there and most were heading up the Dalton. Good way to get real time info on the road and meet traveling partners.

By the way, to my knowledge the fastest motorcycle trip ever made on the Dalton was on an FJR with ME880 tires. Left the Napa in Deadhorse at 9 PM and met me and my wife at a carwash in Fairbanks at 3:45 AM. Six hours 45 minutes to go 500 miles of which about 320 is unpaved; and it was raining. That's about a 74 MPH average and he stopped for fuel in Coldfoot. The late John Ryan was on the first leg of his record setting ride to Key West. He washed his wheels, put on his side cases and then was on his way.

P6060005.jpg

Arctic Circle is at Mile Marker 115 on the Dalton. A good portion of the Dalton is paved between the start and the circle, but the pavement is pretty rough. If it is not raining` then you should not have much trouble. Last time I was there a guy was there on a Wing. The start of the Dalton is about 85 miles from Fairbanks. The last fuel is at Hilltop at mile 5 of the Elliot Hwy. Only fuel on the Dalton before the circle is at the Yukon Bridge at mile 60; best place to eat is the Hot Spot Cafe at mile 65 or so. First 15 miles of the Dalton is often kept in rough shape. This is supposed to keep tourists in RVs and rental cars away. The next stop of significance after the circle is Coldfoot at mile 176. Food, fuel and lodging. If the road is in good shape you may want to push there for food and fuel. If you decide to overnight, then go to Wiseman at around mile 190. No fuel or food, but a couple of nice places to stay. Your biggest threat is coming upon a maintenance operation where they are grading the road and applying calcium chloride. Can be like riding in greasey potting soil. Best thing to do is stop and let several trucks go thru and pack it down. I wouldn't take my FJR up there because of the effects of the calcium chloride. Best bike for the haul road is a rental no larger than a 650cc. Remember this is a working road with a bunch of truck traffic. Do not stop on the road or in a place where you cannot be seen from a good distance. If a truck is coming up from behind, then pull over and let him go. Best to pull to the edge when you meet a truck going the other way as well. Good info at this thread over on the Alaska Regional Forum of ADV Rider. (https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943656) Ask questions over there and you'll get good answers.

The ALCAN is nothing special to ride these days. All paved, although you may hit a 50 mile construction zone of dirt. Plenty of fuel, but not all pumps have card access so when the joint closes there is no fuel. Plenty of places to stay. Can be difficult to find a room around Ft. Nelson (oil activity) and Whitehorse. If you are not camping then you may want to make reservations a day or two out. Take at least a sleeping bag just in case. Bug dope and a head net are a good idea. Be able to repair a flat. If your buddy has a chain drive then make sure it is in good shape and he knows how to take care of it. Consider a SPOT tracker to amuse friends and family. MedJet Assist is a good idea.Come home on the Cassiar. More scenic, less developed and a natural way to get to the Icefield Parkway. You probably will not get up the going to the sun road before late July... gobs of snow up there. Get a copy of the Milepost; it will tell you all you need to know about the routes.

Good luck.

WOW,

A lot of good info in that post!! Thanks for going into so much detail.