Seats and seat covers please?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock seat has a crown in the middle, and needs to be flatter/wider. Nothing you put on it (beads or pads) is going to change the basic flawed shape, just put more mush under your butt........ you need an aftermarket seat.
Agree +1!I tried a fleece gel pad but did worse the things because except that i not felt a difference because the shape of the seat ''crown on the midle'' as you said,it raised the height of the seat and i lost the advantage of the handlebar risers!

I don't see how that would be any disadvantage if I had to ride more! As long as the tush is happy and not having to stop every 75miles for a butt break with the stock seat, I'd be all for it. I do love these Russell and Laam seats you guys are recommending. Even though I'm trying to go more low budget, in the long run this does look like the way to go.

Iggy speaks the truth. 100k on my Russell and no butt disease. I wish I had one for the Wing.
+1

I thought "budget" was the way to go too. Man was I wrong.

I spent about twice the cost of a Russell trying all sorts of partial fixes. None solved the issue of long days in the saddle as well. When, after 3 bikes or so, I finally broke down and got my first Russell, I never looked back. When I got the FJR, the Russell was one of my very first additions. In the long run, doing it right saves money (and pain) over beads and cushions and gels and skins and off-the-rack seats that are simply built to a different "typical rider" than the OEM one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy speaks the truth. 100k on my Russell and no butt disease. I wish I had one for the Wing.
+1

I thought "budget" was the way to go too. Man was I wrong.

I spent about twice the cost of a Russell trying all sorts of partial fixes. None solved the issue of long days in the saddle as well. When, after 3 bikes or so, I finally broke down and got my first Russell, I never looked back. When I got the FJR, the Russell was one of my very first additions. In the long run, doing it right saves money (and pain) over beads and cushions and gels and skins and off-the-rack seats that are simply built to a different "typical rider" than the OEM one.

+2 I also tried every other option, including a Sargent, used Corbin, air hawk pads, fleece pads, etc., spent lots of money. The build date for my Russell Day Long is June 13, I can hardly wait!

I don't plan on multiple 1k days.

Weekend rides usually go for 200 - 300 Miles.

I did a few weekend rides before this weekend to get the break in started on my Corbin. Never felt any butt pain - burn - monkey butt - nothing.

I've never owned a Russell Day long, but this is my experience with my brand new Corbin this last weekend.

I rode about 1.4k this last weekend and my riding style allows me to take a break between every hour or two hours. I only had one time where the burn in my muscles were telling me to stop. That was about 30 minutes from home after about 2.5 hours in the saddle. The pain was in my thighs, not my butt.

I'm sure that the Russell is a great seat. I ordered mine and after a few conversations with one of the seat builders I decided on my requested mods and I am happy with what I received. Just had them raise the seat height up an inch to make it the same as the high position of stock. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

If I lived on my bike, I would make an appointment and do a ride in to Russell. I don't live on my bike (unfortunately) but I am happy with my decision.

My 2cents

I'm not quite ready to pony up for an $800 seat, but I'd definitely add one to the wish list. My main concern after seeing the wings on the Russel is if it effects aggressive riding. I don't get off the seat too much, but sometimes it's nice to move around.

In case no one is "up" on the caution of one of the Mayer brothers. There are 2 sons of Old Man Mayer who created the original Russell Day Long design and sold it. Rocky and Rick branched out their own companies when their father passed away. Even Old Man Mayer said that his use of different foams in his new design couldn't compete with his original design but his non-compete prevented him from using the original in his new company.

Move forward and be aware that there are a lot of people having problems with Rick Mayer. None of this is new as early reports noted slipped delivery dates and seats that came back as a pair of "wings" glued on to the OEM foam and then re-covered.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?72877-Rick-Mayer-MIA-has-MY-seat-and-MY-money

19 pages of dashed dreams means something. Buyer beware.

This is not to be confused with Russell Day Long as they continue to do top notch work.

+ a bunch. I have two Russells, one new, one used. Pricey, but amortized over the life of your bike and butt, worth it to me, and I am one of the cheapest people out there. As I have said before, how much is discomfort worth? Buy one on the forum here, and save $$$

There are reasons why these threads, and not just here, go on forever.

The seat you need depends on your butt, your wallet and the riding you do ... and there are a few variations on that combination.

My wallet is "challenged". I tried sheepskin, beads and AirHawk before springing $830 on a Russell. That purchase made all the problems go away. Prior to that I had been able to extend my day, but the pain always returned at some point. The best thing I can say about the Russell is that I simply forgot it was there.

I am hearing lots of good things about Laam. However, I have seen no reports of multiple 1000 mile days on one. If you don't want to do that, maybe Laam is all you need. Same for Corbin, which I have never found to be anything other than expensive fashion items, and I have owned several.

In the end, probably 80% of serious distance riders buy Russell, so unless you have some specific need that prevents a Russell, you may as well save yourself the expense and discomfort of trying everything else first, and just get one :D

I am hearing lots of good things about Laam. However, I have seen no reports of multiple 1000 mile days on one. If you don't want to do that, maybe Laam is all you need.
I have too and had both a discussion with an owner of both, have looked over a Laam, as well as ridden one for about 20 miles. I didn't want to throw them out since they're relatively new on the block and have to get a new seat now that I bought a Gen 3.

And Laams are good! But they're still not a Russell for those 1000 mile days. Those wings ARE the main reason their seat (or better described..."saddle") are successful. Russells may be ugly and expensive, but they're a case of form following function.

Back to the OP..if I did an occasional 300 mile trip...probably a Laam. Regular longer trips....Russell and be done with it.

I am hearing lots of good things about Laam. However, I have seen no reports of multiple 1000 mile days on one. If you don't want to do that, maybe Laam is all you need.
I have too and had both a discussion with an owner of both, have looked over a Laam, as well as ridden one for about 20 miles. I didn't want to throw them out since they're relatively new on the block and have to get a new seat now that I bought a Gen 3.
And Laams are good! But they're still not a Russell for those 1000 mile days. Those wings ARE the main reason their seat (or better described..."saddle") are successful. Russells may be ugly and expensive, but they're a case of form following function.

Back to the OP..if I did an occasional 300 mile trip...probably a Laam. Regular longer trips....Russell and be done with it.
Hey Iggy, congratulations on the new bike. Missed that big event.

I just did my first saddle sore 1000 after getting the Spencer seat mod. Best $ I have spent on the bike... seat mod is $75 and like another 25 for postage back and forth to Florida. He reshapes the seat a little bit, and adds a material that has a little more give to it. I actually raised my seat after the mod because I sit about an inch lower with the extra give. I don't get to ride enough to justify the RDL so I went with this. Worth every penny... AND the video on his homepage is the greatest motivational video in the history of mankind, because it is motivational, and it has motorcycles.....

https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Hard to look at a Russell when you're ass is in it.

I used to tell the Wingsters that any pretty seat they wanted would work for a show-and-shine but a Russell was there to deliver the mail.

Hard to look at a Russell when you're ass is in it.
I used to tell the Wingsters that any pretty seat they wanted would work for a show-and-shine but a Russell was there to deliver the mail.
You CAN have both.

The RDL may be the best seat for 1,000 mile days but I never ride THAT much in a day.

If there's a seat that will let me do 500 or so mile days in comfort I'd get that.

Looks like the LAAM would suit me fine or maybe even that inexpensive SPENCER mod.

Latest posts