Tick Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhound

Reaction score
I have an 05 that has been ticking for 2K miles. Does anybody have any dealer recommendations in Southern Louisiana or Missippi?

Around these parts we usually try and ask folks why they think they have a "ticker" first. It's an educational process that would help you better deal with whatever dealer you choose and, if needed, Yamaha.

How do you know it ticks?

What are the symptoms? Cold, hot, short ride, long ride?

What does the ticking sound like? Metallic or "tick, tick, tick"?

Do you know the difference between general ticking that the Genesis heads make and "the tick"?

Around these parts we usually try and ask folks why they think they have a "ticker" first. It's an educational process that would help you better deal with whatever dealer you choose and, if needed, Yamaha.

Do you know the difference between general ticking that the Genesis heads make and "the tick"?
I haven't had it officially diagnost yet and I'm hoping I'm wrong but I feel pretty sure it is the worn valve guides based on the following:

I've been around Genesis engines and for about 2 years and 24K miles this one was typical. This thing produced a number of different sounds from ticking to wurwing which are a-typical to this type of Yamaha.

In late Oct and about 2.5-3K miles ago while doing a TBS I noticed a very distinct offbeat metallic sound which I would describe more as a "Tap"not a "Tick". I was finishing the TBS so I let the bike cool down for maybe 30-45 minutes. When I restarted it the Tap was there. I waited over an hour and it was still there. But when I started it the next day it was gone! Over the course of the next few weeks it would reapear only when the bike was thoroughly warmed up and mostly at idle.

Now the "Tapping" noise is louder! It comes on right after start up during cold high idle! As the engine warms and slows to it normal idle rpm the tapping is louder (not because the other engine noises have soften) with even more of this metallic pitch! It is at this point it sounds exactly like the famed sound bytes we are all to familiar with! And this one is probably the most identifying; the metallic tapping increases in sequence as the engine revs until it hits about 4K rpm where other engine and road noise drown it out!

Again, I'm hoping I'm wrong but based on the particular traits and sequences of these symptoms and how closely they match the symptoms of confirmed tickers, I'm afraid I'm right!

This is why I am looking for a reputable dealer/service point who has experience repairing confirmed tickers. So far the nearest to me is about 300 mile away in Highlands, TX (Tejas Motorsports). No dealer with in 100 miles of New Orleans even knows about the valve guide issue! If I have to go to Texas, it will probably be next month. Never-the-less, when all is confirmed, I'll post the results.

Roadhound

Roadhound-did you notice any increased oil consumption? Ian, Iowa

In late Oct and about 2.5-3K miles ago while doing a TBS I noticed a very distinct offbeat metallic sound which I would describe more as a "Tap"not a "Tick".
I think you have a much better grasp on the issue than a fair number of newbies first post about. "Right side" as you're looking at the front of the bike? If so, that's left side sitting on the bike and consistent with #1 and #2 being the most common exhaust valves to go.

You're right to try and find a dealer with experience. The magic words that the dealer should say to Yamaha are "excessive exhaust valve guide wear" and not "tick".

The best way I've heard of confirming is to drop the headers and check for excessive oil in the exhaust ports...especially in the noisy side.

Roadhound-did you notice any increased oil consumption? Ian, Iowa

Yes, but only a few ounces. I changed my oil before a trip to Northern Virginia. It was on this trip when the "Tapping" elevated to the level illustrated. Later I noticed my oil level at the low mark. Because my bike has a "freaky" oil level, I measure the amount of oil I put back into it on changes, 4Qts 4Ozs. It only took 4-5 Ozs to bring it from the low mark to the high full mark. But usually my the oil level rises as I put on miles. This time it went down. Who knows!

Roadhound

In late Oct and about 2.5-3K miles ago while doing a TBS I noticed a very distinct offbeat metallic sound which I would describe more as a "Tap"not a "Tick".
I think you have a much better grasp on the issue than a fair number of newbies first post about. "Right side" as you're looking at the front of the bike? If so, that's left side sitting on the bike and consistent with #1 and #2 being the most common exhaust valves to go.

You're right to try and find a dealer with experience. The magic words that the dealer should say to Yamaha are "excessive exhaust valve guide wear" and not "tick".

The best way I've heard of confirming is to drop the headers and check for excessive oil in the exhaust ports...especially in the noisy side.
When doing the TBS the tapping was definitly from the #1-#2 area. In fact, I wasn't sure I could hear any tapping from the other side of the engine. Even now at a more ditinguishable level, the left side (from sitting) is more pronounced.

Roadhound

I rode mine maybe 15,000 miles after diagnosed for the tick. I seemed to use a little oil the last few changes before I took it in to be fixed. The #4 cylinder was the worst with carbon buildup and oil leakage. I can't remember as the condition differences between the other three, except the normal wasn't normal on mine. Maybe because of the miles driven after the diagnoses. Mine started way early around the 4000 mile mark.

Sounds just like mine. Started at 11k.

Only after restarted HOT loud tick. Would quiet down if revved a little.

15k now, noise comes and goes. Never really hear it on cold start.

Can't say it's any worse, but somethings not right.

Y.E.S. Somebody will pay to repair it, but it won't be ME.

No oil use, runs great. I'll see what happens after another season.

...you know what...this is happening to all the pre 06 owners. They just don`t know it yet. Pity.
Give us a break. Given the thousands and thousands of pre-06's now hitting big miles, if it was inevitable, we'd be hearing a lot more about it. It's a definite problem that aflicts some bikes, but we're a million miles from it "happening to all pre-06 owners".

- Mark

...you know what...this is happening to all the pre 06 owners. They just don`t know it yet. Pity.
Yeah, well.......my 04 was diagnosed as a ticker by a knowledgeable chap at 16,000 miles. It's now got 94,000 miles and is still one noisy S.O.B. No oil consumption and still pulls hard. So how do you view my FJR? Is the glass half empty? Or half full?

Yeah, well.......my 04 was diagnosed as a ticker by a knowledgeable chap at 16,000 miles. It's now got 94,000 miles and is still one noisy S.O.B. No oil consumption and still pulls hard. So how do you view my FJR? Is the glass half empty? Or half full?
94,000 miles wow! :)

I haven't had it officially diagnost yet and I'm hoping I'm wrong but I feel pretty sure it is the worn valve guides based on the following:

I've been around Genesis engines and for about 2 years and 24K miles this one was typical. This thing produced a number of different sounds from ticking to wurwing which are a-typical to this type of Yamaha.

In late Oct and about 2.5-3K miles ago while doing a TBS I noticed a very distinct offbeat metallic sound which I would describe more as a "Tap"not a "Tick". I was finishing the TBS so I let the bike cool down for maybe 30-45 minutes. When I restarted it the Tap was there. I waited over an hour and it was still there. But when I started it the next day it was gone! Over the course of the next few weeks it would reapear only when the bike was thoroughly warmed up and mostly at idle.

Now the "Tapping" noise is louder! It comes on right after start up during cold high idle! As the engine warms and slows to it normal idle rpm the tapping is louder (not because the other engine noises have soften) with even more of this metallic pitch! It is at this point it sounds exactly like the famed sound bytes we are all to familiar with! And this one is probably the most identifying; the metallic tapping increases in sequence as the engine revs until it hits about 4K rpm where other engine and road noise drown it out!

Again, I'm hoping I'm wrong but based on the particular traits and sequences of these symptoms and how closely they match the symptoms of confirmed tickers, I'm afraid I'm right!

This is why I am looking for a reputable dealer/service point who has experience repairing confirmed tickers. So far the nearest to me is about 300 mile away in Highlands, TX (Tejas Motorsports). No dealer with in 100 miles of New Orleans even knows about the valve guide issue! If I have to go to Texas, it will probably be next month. Never-the-less, when all is confirmed, I'll post the results.

Roadhound

I met a guy on a ride a few monts ago that had just purchased a used 05 from Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge, La. that had just had the head redone for the tick before he purchased it. He said the bike was running great. When visiting that dealer the other day I asked one of the mechanics that was apprasing my 05 for trade did he remember anyone in the shop doing this repair. He was aware of the repair and that the service manager was the one who did the work. Can't tell you first hand about thier quality of work, but I do know the shop is spotless. That means alot to me

I met a guy on a ride a few monts ago that had just purchased a used 05 from Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge, La. that had just had the head redone for the tick before he purchased it. He said the bike was running great. When visiting that dealer the other day I asked one of the mechanics that was apprasing my 05 for trade did he remember anyone in the shop doing this repair. He was aware of the repair and that the service manager was the one who did the work. Can't tell you first hand about thier quality of work, but I do know the shop is spotless. That means alot to me
Thanks M-Vette. I'll give Friendly Yamaha a call today.

By the way. I live in Mandeville. I ride a few backroads with some buddies on Sunday's mostly. We have a few country restaurants we frequent. If your in my area give me a shout.

Roadhound

I have an 05 that has been ticking for 2K miles. Does anybody have any dealer recommendations in Southern Louisiana or Missippi?

Here in North Mississippi, I have only found one dealer that I trust to work on my bike. A friend of mine in Southaven had his ticker repaired there. As far as I know, his was the first one that they had done, but he got great results. I've had my bike there for other reasons and they do good work and don't let the dust settle on it. My bike is there right now for the tick repair and a few other things. Tell them Scott and John sent you :)

Here is their contact info, be sure and ask for Don:

Southaven Kawasaki-Yamaha

8668 Whitworth Dr.

Southaven, MS 38671

662-393-2877

https://www.sky-cycles.com/

You can call me too on my cell at 901-832-8001, but my coverage is sketchy in my present location. Leave a message and I'll call you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, where do I begin?

I finally desided to take my FJR to Friendly in Baton Rouge. Later they confirmed that there was indeed a valve guide issue. I asked that before they order parts for the fix, I would like to see what they were ordering. Even though they agreed, they never complyed to my request.

Yesterday they called to tell me it was fixed! When I asked for part numbers for the valve guides they said they were the same as the intake part numbers. Knowing that that could be diasterous, I pushed him on the number. This is what he gave me as the part number for the "NEW" exhaust valve guides: 51w-11133-10-30. He also told me that the new 06 & 07 valve guides would not work in the 05. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS since it is not what I was led to believe?

Also, missing from the order list was cam chain and tensioner. Can any of you, who have had a successful fix for the famed tick problem, confirm this info before I pick my bike up from Friendly? If there is going to be an issue I would rather deal with it now!!!

Roadhound

OK, where do I begin?
I finally desided to take my FJR to Friendly in Baton Rouge. Later they confirmed that there was indeed a valve guide issue. I asked that before they order parts for the fix, I would like to see what they were ordering. Even though they agreed, they never complyed to my request.

Yesterday they called to tell me it was fixed! When I asked for part numbers for the valve guides they said they were the same as the intake part numbers. Knowing that that could be diasterous, I pushed him on the number. This is what he gave me as the part number for the "NEW" exhaust valve guides: 51w-11133-10-30. He also told me that the new 06 & 07 valve guides would not work in the 05. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS since it is not what I was led to believe?

Also, missing from the order list was cam chain and tensioner. Can any of you, who have had a successful fix for the famed tick problem, confirm this info before I pick my bike up from Friendly? If there is going to be an issue I would rather deal with it now!!!

Roadhound
I would also guess that the 06-07 guides would not fit your engine. Lots of internal changes for the newer bikes.

There is a parts list floating around here somewhere for the tick fix that should also have the correct valve guide part#'s included. The cam chain tensioner is not a required item for the tick fix.

More importantly is that you confirm that the shop did indeed install all new cylinder head bolts, as it sems in the past, lots of dealers have overlooked this.

Just go over there, have a listen to it after the motor is all warmed up, maybe take a test ride to verify everything feels ok. If all sounds good, ride on, cause it'll all be logged against the VIN#.