Ontario to Revelstoke, BC along US Hwy2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geosci

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Revelstoke, BC in a few weeks and was thinking of travelling along US Hwy 2 through MI, MN, ND, and MT out to Glacier National Park and then up into BC.

Just wondering if anyone can provide any insight as to what this road is like, or if I should consider an alternate route. The return trip will be through Edmonton and then back along the Yellowhead to Manitoba and the northern side of Lake Superior.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 in MT is bumpy cracked and boring to my recollection. My have improved in the 5yrs since I was on it.

Worney

Thanks Worney.

I've travelled across Manitoba and Saskatchewan numerous times, so boring will not be anything new. The bumpy and cracked may be more of an issue. Any suggestions for a smoother ride?

I see you're relatively local to the route I was considering through Pincher Creek to Braggs Creek then west towards Banff. How are the Alberta roads these days?

US 2 through ND and eastern MT is nothing special. Unless you specifically want to ride it, take a northern route and then drop down into MT closer to Glacier.

You won't be missing anything...

--G

Thanks Worney.
I've travelled across Manitoba and Saskatchewan numerous times, so boring will not be anything new. The bumpy and cracked may be more of an issue. Any suggestions for a smoother ride?

I see you're relatively local to the route I was considering through Pincher Creek to Braggs Creek then west towards Banff. How are the Alberta roads these days?
Roads are pretty good, but have slipped from their mostly pristine conditions in the past few years.

I could whip you up some road recommendations if you give me an idea of time and distance goals. Personally I would avoid that route. Braggs Creek is busy and when I was on it last summer it was bumper to bumper for hours. There is currently road construction to repair 40 after the floods last year but it's supposed to be finished mid-June. That road was fantastic, you just had to watch the big horn sheep and moose. BC 95 through Invermere is fantastic sweepers through the mountains but when I was on it I kept finding that my throttle kept opening of its own accord.... :D

Anyways. Let me know how I can help.

Worney

Keep in mind that US 2 goes right through the heart of the Bakken oil and gas boom area in western ND. Tremendous amount of truck traffic and problems finding places to stay in that area.

I drove from ON to AB about 7 yea ago and went further south to hit the black hills, Cody WI and Yellowstone and it was a great trip but it all depends on your time constraints.

US 2 through ND and eastern MT is nothing special. Unless you specifically want to ride it, take a northern route and then drop down into MT closer to Glacier.

--G
Thanks.

I assume that by northern route, you mean through Canada. There don't appear to be many (any) roads north of US 2.

Keep in mind that US 2 goes right through the heart of the Bakken oil and gas boom area in western ND. Tremendous amount of truck traffic and problems finding places to stay in that area.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Thanks Worney.

Roads are pretty good, but have slipped from their mostly pristine conditions in the past few years.

I could whip you up some road recommendations if you give me an idea of time and distance goals. Personally I would avoid that route. Braggs Creek is busy and when I was on it last summer it was bumper to bumper for hours. There is currently road construction to repair 40 after the floods last year but it's supposed to be finished mid-June. That road was fantastic, you just had to watch the big horn sheep and moose. BC 95 through Invermere is fantastic sweepers through the mountains but when I was on it I kept finding that my throttle kept opening of its own accord....
biggrin.png

Anyways. Let me know how I can help.

Worney
Okay, thanks. Sounds like I'll stay away from Bragg Creek. I had considered going up through Invermere or possibly Nelson, but as we will be heading up to Jasper and Edmonton for the return trip, I thought I would hit Banff on the way out. We may have to make a detour on the way to Jasper, BC 95 sounds like a great ride.

Timing isn't too restrictive. We're taking things fairly easy and keeping the mileage to less than 800 km (500 mile)/day.

--G
Thanks.

I assume that by northern route, you mean through Canada. There don't appear to be many (any) roads north of US 2.
Yup, stay up in Canada. Other route has been mentioned by worney, drop further south and take some sights in on the way.

Good luck!

--G

Appreciate all the feedback! I'll probably look into heading a bit further south and visit the Black Hills.

Cheers.

Latest posts