1st IBA Ride | MTF SS1000, Harrisburg, NC | July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
Just registered for my 1st IBA ride - The MTF SS 1000, July Ride, from Harrisburg, NC. Time to start getting organized and wait for further information.

Since I am in GA, the SS1000 will mean a ride out and back from Harrisburg. I could have planned a ride by myself, but the MTF provides guidance and support when necessary on the forms and procedures to be in compliance with IBA rules.

I then plan to use the knowledge and try and manage a SS1000 on my own later.

Perhaps a Georgia SS1000. Does anyone have any information on the possible routes for a GA SS1000?

https://www.mctourer.com/rides/2014/Regionals/index.html

Playing around with Streets & Trips, i came up with a RAG (Ride Around Georgia) route -- staying as close to the state boundaries as reasonably possible, that comes out to a hair over 1100 miles. I've never ridden there so i don't know if that route is really feasible or not, given the time frame. You could shave a few miles off by encroaching into neighboring states; particularly in the Chattanooga area.

Looks like there are a boatload of other possibilities though, just glancing at the map. Like figure-8 routes, shamrock routes (like a figure-8 but with another loop or 2). Good luck! Should be fun plotting a route & carrying out the ride.

Playing around with Streets & Trips, i came up with a RAG (Ride Around Georgia) route -- staying as close to the state boundaries as reasonably possible, that comes out to a hair over 1100 miles. I've never ridden there so i don't know if that route is really feasible or not, given the time frame. You could shave a few miles off by encroaching into neighboring states; particularly in the Chattanooga area.
Looks like there are a boatload of other possibilities though, just glancing at the map. Like figure-8 routes, shamrock routes (like a figure-8 but with another loop or 2). Good luck! Should be fun plotting a route & carrying out the ride.

Thanks. Will take a look. I use Tyre and TomTom Rider - so a little playing around with the map will be happening!

Another IBA member sent me a map & track of a SS1000 route he did as a group a few years ago. It is a 'cross' shape route, going through Atlanta in each direction - N, S, E & W.

Might use it as a test run.

Not long to go now.
I should start getting myself ready for the my first IBA SS1000 ride.

Update:

Due to some family stuff I was not going to make the ride to Harrisburg and back in addition to the Saddlesore run. The plan is to move to the September date. I will be following this up with the MTF organizers.

This decision to postpone happened last Wednesday - considering a number of factors. And since the family didn't have any travel plans for the 4th weekend, I decided to jump into a local GA Instate Saddlesore - for Saturday July 5. Thursday July 3, 1:20pm - my mind was set on doing the Solo Saddlesore on July 5.This was based on a route previously done by Jim Weaver and a group a few years ago. I know Jim via The Grand Tour of Georgia Facebook group. With support and help from Jim, I set out on July 5, 5:47am, from RaceTrac - Alpharetta and got back at 11:30pm putting in 1034 miles.

Saddlesore1000 completed in 17hrs:43mins!

A BIG 'Thank you' to Jim Weaver for being patient with my questions and the all important 'gee-up' helping me take on this ride on my own. I am sure he'll be glad that my SS1000 is done and his email and IM won't have 'one more question' from me. Thank you, Jim!

A lot I learned about myself on the ride. And a still hell of a lot to learn. It was a blast. And I look forward to doing another one. I'll be looking to planning to run on the Sept date if that is all OK.

A big 'Thank you' to Bruce McCrary also, for all the help and information related to the Saddlesore. Thank you. My apologies for going it alone. But all the factors put together, July 5 was the window of opportunity I had to grab.

Now to get the documents ready to send over the IBA for verification and get all the swag!! A ride report will follow, undoubtedly.

Can you send me the -RAG- route. Could be a good option to do another GA Instate some time in the future.

Congratulations on your first! Knowing that you can is the beginning to many other possibilities.
As Katie Johnston ( https://www.loffkat.com/bunny-burner-gold.html ) says when people ask "why?":

"For giggles and a piece of paper."

More than enough motivation, eh?
Very true. I have yet to come up with a very intelligent and logical answer to the oft asked question " Why did you do this 1000mile ride?"

The only apt answer were along the lines of 'Just because'

Congratulations on your first! Knowing that you can is the beginning to many other possibilities.
As Katie Johnston ( https://www.loffkat.com/bunny-burner-gold.html ) says when people ask "why?":

"For giggles and a piece of paper."

More than enough motivation, eh?
I will be in Key West witnessing the start of her departure to Deadhorse, AK soon.