What does your FJR look like loaded for a trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danh600

Reaction score
Trying to get some ideas on different ways to load an FJR for a trip. I know the simple thing would be the side bags and a top box. The problem is I just personally don't like top boxes. No offense to people that have them on their bike and like them. I certainly see how useful they are, but since I don't like them I am going to be hard headed and not put one on my FJR. It's side bags and dry bags strapped on for me.

Here is how I did my Interstate:

IMG_0189-M.jpg

Basically that is loaded for a 10 day trip of riding and camping. So That is more packed then usual. Plus, there is just some stuff thrown on there in that picture cause I was taking a road side break. But fully loaded I have the hard side bags, a 30L dry bag and two 20L dry bags. On shorter trips and when not camping I just use one bag.

I put a touratech rack on the back of the FJR to have something to straps to. I like having a rack and some ROK straps to tie down the load. That method has served me well. I haven't been on a long trip on the FJR yet. So packing is still in the experimental stages. I am thinking something like what I did would work on the FJR, but I would love to get some more ideas.

Any of you guys have pictures of your bikes loaded? Any suggestions? Well other then just get a top box!

Loaded to the maximum, with camping gear and on an extended trip it looks like this:

177.jpg

I rarely use the tank bag these days because it blocks too much breeze from cooling me. Over the years I have learned to simply carry less stuff.

That is my camping gear in the blue bag on the pillion seat. In order to lash a bag onto the pillion seat I installed a couple of nylon loops which are attached to the metal cross member under the seats near where the front and back seat meet. When needed I simply pull the loops up between the seats and use them to attach a tie down.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I just went on a 4 day trip, loading up the side cases and most of the 45L Shad tail case. We actually had some stuff packed that we never used so definitely had rim to spare! With her on the rear seat, a trail case is a necessity!

I have an OEM top box and rarely have it on the bike except when traveling. I leave the mount plate on for bungie-ing things to but the top box lifts off just like the panniers so once I get to my destination I easily remove it as I too prefer for my normal riding to be without it.

I'm not a camping type-o'-guy so no tent, etc for me. I am also a solo rider as my wife hates bikes so I have a Nelson Rigg bag I bungie to the rear seat. I put heavier stuff in the RiggPak and use the trunk for lighter stuff- 1/2 cover, raingear, maps, etc. Plus the RiggPak fills the empty space between me and the trunk so no exaggerated parachute effect.

I use this setup even if the RiggPak is nearly empty. It makes IMHO for a comfortable ride.

DSCN3525_zpsd304e969.jpg

3 yrs ago...'08 FJR loaded up and arrived in Destin Florida in the rain...included in the packed crap...beach umbrella, beach chair, and snorkel gear.

FJRDestin2011.jpg

5700 mile, 2 week road trip from North Carolina to Colorado last summer. Mixture of tent camping and hotels. If I'm more local, I'd also have a camp chair strapped on the pile. It's pretty easy to load up the FJR, with or without a top box. I recommend ROK Straps for tie downs...though a supplemental bungie net is great for clothes drying while riding.
wink.png

• Ortlieb large duffle (the yellow one). The end straps can actually do double duty and secure the bag on the bike by looping them through the grab bars. This usually held a jacket, spare sets of gloves, fleece pullover, "around camp" rain jacket, sleeping bag/pad, heated gear, coffee mug, and assorted small crap.
  • Walmart-brand waterproof sack (the red/white one). This usually held my tent/poles plus shoes unless any of it was wet. Their bags sell in 2 or 3 packs, so I also carried a slightly smaller sack folded up as a backup in case I picked up something along the trip that I couldn't jam in one of the sidebags.
  • Gary's Hydration system mounted on passenger footpeg on other side <--beats a Camelback ANY day.
  • Cortech Tankbag that expands to ginormous size (loved it).
  • One sidebag held clothing, shave kit, and electronics. The other held some tools (Slime Pump/sticky string under seat), bike cover, locking cable, Canyon Dancer, and other small things).
With the highly variable weather on the trip, I used pretty much everything I packed except the tire plugging stuff or tools (apart from my SealMate). Most valuable and useful gear of the trip was the hydration system.

IMG_2600-L.jpg

IMG_2743-L.jpg

IMG_2543-L.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe the pirate
pirate.gif
arrrrg, should post pictures or a link to his thread about his awesome home made trailer!