ALABAMA- Anyone have a RDL passenger seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Reaction score
Wife rode on a goldwing with me the otherday now she wants me to get one for the "few" times she actually likes to ride.

I told her before I buy a bike I want her to try a RDL... If anyone has one she can sit on or try out on a group ride let me know.

Ive tried Corbin, Sergeant, gel covers, lamb covers... This is the last hope. Otherwise if I want to take her along I gotta buy a goldwing....

Dont get me wrong I love the Goldwing but i cant keep both. I love to carve it up with the guys on Sporty bikes or Dual sports.... She only rides a few times/trips a year...

Help me obi wan ....

Can't help on the seat but older GL1800 Wings show up all the time for pretty reasonable money. Even if you buy one with over a 100k on it there's still another 100k in it. They handle quite well for a barge and maybe then you could keep the FJR. Worked for me. I do have a Russell on the FJR and it's worth every penny.

Why was this post put in the SFO section? Me thinks you would get more replies in the FJR specific discussions, or the parts and accessories. You are in the organized meetings section.

GP

I have a Russel and a Lamm and I think the Lamm is very similar to the RDL for the passenger. If you still need to try PM me.

Why was this post put in the SFO section? Me thinks you would get more replies in the FJR specific discussions, or the parts and accessories. You are in the organized meetings section.
GP
Cause I was looking for a local southern rider that might have one on the FJ.. We could meet up and let her sit on it and see what she thought..

More than likely gonna have to buy the GL1800 ....

I shipped my stock seat to Laam on Monday. I talked with Seth last week and about 10 seconds into the conversation, it was abundantly clear to me that:

1. He knew exactly what to do to address my seat concerns, wants, etc.

2. He was genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied over and above making money. I told him I wanted leather, even pleasantly disagreed with him over it, but in the end, he sold me the MUCH less expensive vinyl seat.

The mod has been long overdue for me. I'm looking forward to it.

I have an RDL passenger seat for the wifey, but I also have a Goldwing as of this year. The Goldwing is for the longer trips. We're riding 4000 miles on our Montana trip the end of august over a couple weeks. She says the RDL seat on the FJR is very comparable to the Goldwing, but the seating position and ride is enough better on the wing that it makes it worth it for her. She still apologizes to the FJR when we leave the garage on the wing.

The Goldwing is a passenger seat with a bike made around it, as they often say. I think my RDL seat on the FJR is a lot more comfortable than the wing seat. I got an airhawk cushion for the wing and now it's comparable. If you haven't rode a Goldwing a lot, the shock factor is how well they handle on the curves. I had to totally readjust every time I went back and forth with the FJR and my previous bike, but the wing feels just like the FJR without all that power. I still can't decide if I like the wing enough to keep it, though. We'll see after our long trip.

If I had a trip on the FJR to B'ham anytime soon, I'd be glad to meet you and let you sit on the RDL. But I probably won't be doing that for a while on the bike. My daughter goes to college at Samford in Birmingham, so I do get down there on the bike sometimes. I assume you don't have months to investigate, but if you are still undecided by November, let me know, cause we'll probably go down for a weekend by then.