The FirstGear warranty rocks!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwil

Reaction score
In August of last year I bought my first motorcycle and to go with it a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT overpants.

I have since done 26k miles (17k on the FJR) and the jacket and pants have kept me dry and warm.

The zipper on the pants broke a few months back and recently the one pocket zipper on the jacket broke.

So I emailed FirstGear and asked if this is covered under warranty. Within hours I had a reply asking for a copy of the receipt and photos of the damage. I sent that and again within hours I had a reply saying a new jacket and pants are in the mail to me. They just arrived at my doorstep. That is over and beyond in my book and I will continue to buy their products.

One thought is that the zippers should not have broken in the first place, but they are YKK and other brands might not have done any better. I don't know.

I also emailed Nolan to ask if the inner tinted visor on my N90 that is getting all scratched up from just operating it is covered under warranty. No reply yet.

Good to see a company stand behind their product. Nothings perfect glad it worked out. I'm in the market for a new jacket so I'll give them a look.

I met a woman at a STN event who had a very serious crash wearing a First Gear Jacket. She had serious leg injuries but very minor upper body injury and wrote to First Gear to tell them how well the jacket had protected her. First Gear thanked her for the letter and asked what size and color she wanted for the jacket replacement.

Customer service goes along way in the FJR community. I bought some used Kilimanjaro gear. Jacket and pants. One of the pulls on a leg zipper was gone and a breast pocket zipper pull was also missing. I called First gear and the replacements were sent to me within a week. Great customer service

My FIRSTGEAR Rainier jacket's inside pocket zipper jammed in the shut position and I had to cut it open to retrieve my passport re-entering the US from Canada three years ago. I contacted FG just to let them know there was an issue and I was instructed to go to the local dealer and pick-up a new one while leaving the old one there. When I was asked what color I had I replied it was Red when purchased, however, it had faded and weathered to the point it was more pink than red. They indicated that alone would have been a warranty issues and justified replacement. They offered to express ship one from Oregon as the local dealer only had black in my size. Black was just fine!

Like others here have indicated, they are very very good to deal with. I truly did not intend anything more than to let them know of the issue with the pocket from the call. The person even suggested I keep the liner from the old jacket as it is something that is worn by many separate from the jacket for non-riding casual wear. If you've not seen one of the liners from the Rainier, it's is a very high quality piece which gets many positive comments when worn separate from the jacket. I believe the Rainier Jacket is no longer in production. Most likely replaced with something of equal or superior quality. However, I don't see me needing to replace mine as it still functions at a top level.

Keep going!

I have dealt with first gear several times. I have both their tog jacket and their HT overpaint. A couple of years ago I called because the paints were leaking they sent me a new pair no questions asked. They are a great company to work with and their product it top notch.

Had a great experience with FirstGear. Bought some of their low boots. The eyelets tore out and I contacted them. They responded almost immediately and had a new pair overnighted to me with a copy of my receipt. I hope they can fix this issue as it could be an ongoing problem but service was great.

FYI I did not like the new version of the HT overpants they sent me. It is a thinner material and less rigid (but more comfy). I found that the knee guard were actually sitting at the sides of my knees when riding which I did not think was safe. So I kept the old pair. I managed to fix the zipper myself. They also got rid of the zippered vents which I think are very effective.

Current and previous jackets are First Gear... never had an issue with either but it's good to know they stand behind their products. My reason for buying them in the first place was that they offer TALL sizes... many companies do not so I'll stick with FG for now.

Regards,

Mr. BR