Laam seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Guys

I know there has been a truck load of info on the forum regarding seats in general and which is best but i have just been on https://laamseats.com/ and saw the FJR dual seat in the Gallery and it really impressed me.So, have any of you guys got one and if so what are your thoughts.

Regards

Gazza

I had him redo the seat on my Speed Triple and have put around 13k miles on it. It is a great improvement over the stock seat and I am happy I had it done. Not as good as a Russell,but a lot cheaper. I would do it again and he has great customer service, sometimes too good. He will call you quite a few times, but that is to make sure he is doing what you want done. His turn around was 5 days from the time he received my seat, not sure if he has gotten busier in the 1 1/2 years since I had it done.

I had him do the front only on my 2012 FJR. The workmanship and customer service was great. I am about 5' - 10" , 200 pounds 32" inseam. The comfort and position was just what I was looking for. I would also buy another seat from him.

I went with a front seat only rework and recover the pillion to match. Have about 2k miles on it so far and definitely recommend him. RDL may be more comfortable for the harcore LD crowd but the price and appearance of a tractor seat didn't appeal to me.

I liked the fact that Seth calls you personally and is very thorough in his questions to be sure you're getting what you want. I told him to let me know when it was ready to ship and I'd call him with my credit card info for billing, got home from work to find an email with a tracking number. He shipped it before I even paid him! Customer service like 20 years ago!

The FJR seat that is the very first one you see when you open the web page was built for one of our very own forum members. It is the same seat that is pictured in the gallery. It belonged to GeorgiaRoller.

Based on his pictures and advice I had one done for my ST1300. It is a great seat. The craftsmanship is excellent. The customer service is excellent. It is priced wonderfully.

IF I were riding the IBR I would probably rather have a Russell. Since I am not doing that, the Laam is working just fine.

I have a Laam. Less of a 'sofa' than the RDL, but does the job for me.

I have a Laam on my FJR. Quality and customer service is excellent. The price is unbeatable. As far as comfort, I completed an Iron Butt 100 Coast to Coast to Coast in May and have no complaints about the seat. I've never experienced a RDL. But for the price and quality of Laam, I don't see a need to spend so much more money.

IMAG0102-1.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

+1 for Seth, I have a RDL and Laam, I use the Laam for 95% of my riding, and would recommend his seats. FYI he has seat pans for the FJR, ask him to make your seat with his pans and when you get your new seats send him your stock seats.

I just got a Laam dual seat and have only ridden with it about 100 miles. I've not done a long ride yet, hope to go about 800 miles tomorrow. I really felt the stock seat was fine, my only complaint was that it didn't distribute the weight over a large enough area, resulting in a bit too much pressure directly on the sitz bones. I regarded the stock seat as more sporty and wanted something a bit more toury. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs if that matters. I asked Seth to move me 1 inch forward since I never sat all the way back on the stock seat. I ride mostly with the balls of my feet on the pegs gripping the tank lightly with my knees allowing me to relax my arms and hands. I also use MCL highway pegs sometimes when on the interstates to get into a more relaxed position, straighten the knees a bit and just change the pressure points on the seat.

Seth is great to work with, both times I called him he answered the phone. When I shipped my seat to him he called me to let me know it had arrived. I ordered the vinyl in graphite grey with grey thread. Subjective, but I think it looks great. The costs you see on his site are the real costs, no hidden stuff, no pressure to accessorize.

It's difficult to recommend something like a seat, or windshield because everyone is different and has different needs and expectations. All I can say right now is the seat looks great, feels like it's going to be exactly what I wanted. Maybe I'll have more to add after tomorrow.

laamseat2004_zpsd60bae2a.jpg

laamseat2003_zps76d0eb56.jpg

I agree with all here. Original was making me lean / slide forward, felt like my butt was folding !

I have the LAAM seat done on my '09 FJR, best update so far. Good quality and Seth did a great job.

I'm planning on ordering my Laam seat after the season is over. Making a trip south to FL next year and I need a more comfortable seat. Let us know how you make out after you pull the trigger

Have Laam seats on both the FJR and Tenere. Seth is tops with quality craftsmanship, great customer service and builds a comfy good looking seat!

a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

--G

Have a Laam and really like it. I am going to have him rework it soon as my riding style has changed a bit. Great guy and bonus for me, he is 10 minutes from my house!

Stopped by Seth's shop on my way to the Clan Gathering in Sonoma and had a seat made. Seth is a great guy and really wants to please you. My main complaint was a feeling of sliding forward toward the tank on long rides and just the general tired but complaints. I had my seat and passenger seat covered in leather, only the rider seat was rebuild and that took care of my concerns. Very satisfies so far. I think it is a very nice looking seat also.

+10 for Seth Laam! Had both seats done in leather over a year ago. Seat is beautiful, I get compliments on it frequently. Can't make a comparison to a Russell, never sat on one. First time I did 8 hours on it I remember thinking I'd forgotten about the seat. It wasn't reminding me of its presence like the stock seat did. Customer service second to none. Seth likes what he does and it shows.

Thanks guys for all the great replies/photo's etc. I find myself in the same frame of mind as some of you who are not wanting to go the whole hog with the RDL but are after a definite improvement over the stock seat. I'm looking for something in the middle so i think Seth is my man. will keep you posted but might be a while being down under in NZ.

Regards

Gazza

I had my seat and the pillion done by Seth last fall. I had to send both back in for tweaks, and am having to send them back for a second tweak. I would say Seth's customer service had been stellar until I called him after the first tweak to verify he modified my wife's seat to accomodate lowered pegs and not mine.

When I had talked to him to have the first adjustments done he was going to trim my seat slighly and then dig out the leg cavities for my wife's seat (we were both having pressure on our legs and I decided to add a peg lowering kit for her at the same time). When I got the seats back the seat cover on mine had been streched a lot by the legs and restapled, but my wife's had been stretched minimially (and evenly) all the way around. I called to verify he adjusted the correct one based on my observations and since I couldn't ride it yet to test it (due to still having snow on the ground) and I was about to head out of town for a couple weeks for work and wanted to send it back if I needed to. Once I finally got him to return my voice mails (couple weeks later) he was very defensive and wanted to talk to me as quickly as possible and get off the phone. He was a bit snappy and had a whole different tone of voice than the usual happy/upbeat Seth I was used to talking to.

There was really no reason to get pissy with me, I understand people make mistakes sometimes. Afterall he's not perfect; my seats sat in the corner of his shop for two weeks when he forgot to send them out. I found that out when I called to see where they were when they hadn't shown up fearing they had been sent to my old address (I moved over the winter) which was a blessing in disguise because I was able update my new address with him. He was super appologetic even though I told him I was not upset at all since it worked out better that way. He even called me to give me the tracking number over the phone! That was the type of service I was getting used to with him.

To be honest what really pissed me off was when I called and told him we both had pressure points under our legs after he first made the seat, I specifically said on a couple of occasions (process took a while with winter/moving and all) I was going to get a peg drop kit for my wife and he said he would hog the seat out more to accomodate. His attitude then was a "sure, I can do that" type attitude. Then when I get the seats back and get the peg drop kit on and my wife was still having a lot of pressure, suddenly Seth reversed his position and it seemed it became my fault because I put the peg kit on; he said I shouldn't be putting a peg drop kit on and that was the worst thing I could have done. What the heck? If that's the case why couldn't he have told me that when I was talking to him before, before I bought the peg kit!? I told him up front that's what I was going to do. I guess my mistake was questioning his work, because once I asked about the which seat was modified for a peg drop the customer service level took a big dive.

Anyway, I discussed the seat issues with him a fair bit on the phone a couple weeks ago and by the end of the phone conversation he was more back to the "how can I serve you" tone instead of the "it's not my fault" tone the conversation seemed to start with. We got a game plan put together and my seats arrived at his shop yesterday. So now I'll just wait and see how things go from here.

I don't want to give him a bad rap at this point because on the whole his customer service has been good. I'd say my recommendation would be neutral at this point and my willingness to recommend him going forward will be largely dependent on how this second round of revisions goes.

If you get a seat from him and need it adjusted, my advise would be to NOT ask to confirm if he did what you requested, but simply describe how it's not working correctly and go from there, lol. He seems to take things a little too personally.

I'm still waiting to experience all this so called great customer service of his. I originally contacted him 6 weeks ago and discussed having my seat done. He informed me had at least 6 pans in stock for my year and he would tag one for me. I emailed my order form in and a week or so later emailed again to make sure he got my order. I did get an email back that stated they did have my order. I know he probably fairly busy this time of year but its been a month since the last contact. I've called twice and left polite messages each time and emailed an inquiry as well. No replies in any form. Wtf? I must be the only FJR rider that feels f'd. I'm freaking pissed. I don't care if he calls and say it'll be another month, just fucking call! Not feeling any love from Seth. Let me restate I've been most polite until recently. I have not left him a nastygram but I sure feel like it.