On aftermarket can...plus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRat

Reaction score
I am planning on removing the air induction hoses and doing the Unauthorized Throttle Body sync.

I was hoping to put an aftermarket can (muffler). But in the research I did on FJR forums, folks seem to indicate problems with lean engines, decel popping etc.

I do not want to put PC nor any other altering f/r modules.

I like a carbon fiber (lighter than stock) slip on like the Delkevic or the Two Bro. I understand their price difference but the 2Bro. is definitely a better workman ship but a tiny louder. I have had both before. Though I had to put the P1X Db reducer on the 2Bro. to tolerate the racket. I am not into 'louder' nor 'throatier'. I just want a better looking and lighter can.

Appreciate your wisdom thoughts on this...thanks

Just slip on cans will not cause issues. I have Staintunes and the air injection plugged. No decel popping. I think others will tell you the same. A Power commander will help with lean issues but isn't required.

Just swapping the stock mufflers for a set of aftermarket slip-ons will not alter the fueling much, if any. Reasons being that you'll still have the 2 cats in the header pipes that will restrict the exhaust flow appropriately. If you like the way the bike performs now you should be fine with it after.

The fix for the popping on deceleration noise that is often generated by replacing the stock exhaust mufflers is to remove the PAIR system and block it off, which you are already planning on doing. Sounds like you should be fine with your mod plans.

Yes, the PAIR system is a must remove if you are going to put aftermarket cans on. I put on the 2 Brothers CF cans and LOVE them. IMHO they really contrast nicely with the red, and the sound is great. Not obnoxious in the hood, but really sound off with throttle application! See for yourself. Oh, and by the way, you won"t believe how much they DON"T weigh!

DSC00735_zps1928ce0f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 2Bros aluminum pipes on mine without the P1 tips. I really like them. They're a little loud in 1st and 2nd when getting on it, but after that, the wind noise takes over and I can't hear the pipes anyway. Maybe if I drop it from 5th to 3rd to pull off a pass at slingshot velocity, but otherwise, no issues. No fueling issues either.

Has anyone with a Gen III installed aftermarket cans without blocking the PAIR system?

I sorta remember reading that the decel pop wasn't as much of an issue on the Gen IIIs but might be wrong. I removed a set of slip-ons from my PAIRless '04 when I sold it and would like to try them on my '15. I'll probably be doing a valve check sometime towards the end of this year and might (warranty?) be removing the PAIR stuff then but seeing as I currently have a case of winter PMS I got to thinking about swapping the exhaust now. Besides, I know several riding friends have missed hearing a louder exhaust when I ride along.
rolleyes.gif