Factory sidecases...worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know a gent who has some factory side cases for sale, no locks and different color, but reasonably priced. I can paint them and buy locks, but I'm wondering if they would be much better for capacity than my soft sided, expandable Rapid Transit bags. Obviously I could lock these, but do you think it'd be worth it? Can they hold a fair amount, for staying away from home for a few nights worth?

The factory cases use space inefficiently, just like the factory top case. However, having lockable, mostly water-tight, aerodynamic panniers is desirable. Is it worth the $ and effort for you to paint and install locks? Only you can decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having with soft cases and factory cases, the factory cases win hand down despite the inefficient use of space. They tuck in nicely, come on/off easy, look good, are lockable and waterproof.

My main complaint is that they open and all the junk falls out, so I use the liners.

Factory case capacity is just under 30 liters each. The main selling point to the factory cases (to me) is not their capacity but how well they mount to the bike. I tried soft side cases once on an FZ6 and was always paranoid they were going to get wedged into the rear wheel. There may be larger luggage options out there, I've learned to pack less, ride more.

Hey guys. I know a gent who has some factory side cases for sale, no locks and different color, but reasonably priced. I can paint them and buy locks, but I'm wondering if they would be much better for capacity than my soft sided, expandable Rapid Transit bags. Obviously I could lock these, but do you think it'd be worth it? Can they hold a fair amount, for staying away from home for a few nights worth?
They are good cases, in my experience weather-proof, and can take most of the junk I like to carry.

They are double-skinned, so don't hold quite as much as the exterior might lead you to believe, but they're not bad.

They seem reasonably secure against the ungodly.

Personally, I wouldn't want any other side cases.

...My main complaint is that they open and all the junk falls out, so I use the liners.
You can help this a bit by altering the angle that the lid opens to, see here.

(Click on image for larger view)

Before After

With the factory side cases and a Shad 45, my wife and I had enough storage to spend 4 days traveling to NC, riding around there and traveling back to IN.

Well, based on what you guys said and suggested I went ahead and bought them! Granted I will have to paint them to match and buy locks, but for $300 for a good used set when brand new runs well over a grand, I think this was a no brainer. Thanks guys!

Good for you. You will not regret using the factory cases.

As far as color goes, complimentary might work just as well. Thinking of painting my silver cases metallic black to offset all of the silver. Just a thought.

I painted my side cases silver [not cerulian] to match the sidecovers on my '06-also the "vents"...wanted less blue..

With the side cases, you can also do this.

IMG_0424.jpg

Good choice, mx. That was definitely the way to go. Besides, they look great and make your FJR look like, Well...... An FJR! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With the side cases, you can also do this.
That pic belongs in this thread: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158324-what-does-your-fjr-look-like-loaded-for-a-trip/page-2#entry1153631
The Idaho picture was from 2008, Terri and I travel with just the hard cases now. We learned what stuff we could do without.
Yep! It's amazing how much crap you Think you Need compared to what you find out you Actually Need. :)