Unauthorized TBS on Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHS1981

Reaction score
I've done the forum search, but the answer isn't jumping out at me -- can the "unauthorized TBS" be done on a Gen III? If so, does anyone have a link for the procedure for a Gen III? The procedure I've been reviewing was last edited in 2012.

The TB sync was perfect through out the rev range on my Gen 3.

I've seen a few other posts where the Gen 3's have been fine as well.

You may not need to do a unauthorized TBS or even the normal sync procedure.

Why? In general, later model FJRs are very good and stable regarding TB sync.

Just wondering what's leading you in this direction...

--G

Well apparently, one of the intentions of the Unauthorized TBS is to line-up the plates, no? and supposely, this makes for null vibrations on the handlebars

Subscribed to this thread.

I've been thinking about this as well. My '13 is pretty damn good in regards to the vibes. But the seat, especially the stocker, feels like a sex toy above 5000 rpm.

I was planning on checking the TB sync on it this week, along with installing WynPro's PAIR plates. 16Km and the tank has never been up on it.

My concern is the considerable engine vibrations at and above 4000 rpm. For me, this is felt mostly in the bars, but it is also in the seat and pegs to a degree. The bike is quite smooth up to 65 mph in 5th, but at 70 to 80 it will make my hands tingle after a while. If a TBS can reduce the vibes, I'd like to try it. So, if the UA TBS can be done on a Gen III, it might be a better procedure than the official shop manual version.

My concern is the considerable engine vibrations at and above 4000 rpm........................... So, if the UA TBS can be done on a Gen III, it might be a better procedure than the official shop manual version.
This is what I am expecting...schedule to gittirdon on Tue. will post immediately after the gig...

Well I know they redesigned the fuel rail on the Gen III's. The idle adjustment screws now face toward the rear of the bike instead of up and out toward the clutch side. I wonder if they diddled with the throttle body linkage as well.

I would suspect the drive-by-wire would have lead to a complete re-do of the linkage. Any inline 4, actually any piston engine, will vibrate. The rigid mounting just makes the vibrations more evident. Have you tried filling the hollow of the handlebar with some lead shot? this deadensthe bars ability to resonate ant any freq..

No, I haven't tried filling the bars with anything. Have you? I recently got the opportunity to ride a '12 FJR with only 2000 miles and an older model, I think an '06, with 38,000 miles. The vibes were similar to what I have on my bike, though mine might be a bit more pronounced at 4000 - 5000 rpm. I think it's the nature of the beast. However, if there is an easy fix that will improve it even a little, I'm all ears.

I have put the lead shot in the bars of y old '93 K100RS it worked well. (No counter balance shafts in those and I had over 200K so I was experimenting with it.) Our bars have alot of room in them if you have the stock bar end weights. I might try just to satisfy my curiosity now.

Last edited by a moderator:
supertanker,

let us know how u do with the lead filler cure...I will be following your footsteps is it works

+ 1 on the lead shot. I can't figure out an easy way to get access to the hollow part of the bars on the Gen III (without extracting the plugs that the bar ends screw into). It might be possible if you take the bars off and remove the switch gear, but that would be a bit of a job.

I finally got around to doing the TBS on my 13.

PIA compared to the Gen 1. It wasn't out much, but the bike really seemed to like the attention.

That being said, they've COMPLETELY redesigned the fuel rail/throttle body and linkages. Hell you can't even SEE the linkages any more. I'm guessing they tucked all the naughty bits underneath in no-seeum land. I was willing to give the UTBS a go. But after looking at it, not so much.

I have a 2014 if that is a gen III, Then, no can do the unauthorized cause the stuff you have to access is inside the black cone shaped box on the rearward side of the engine....apparently, now ontrolled by the computer...as we all are, aint we?

I've done the forum search, but the answer isn't jumping out at me -- can the "unauthorized TBS" be done on a Gen III? If so, does anyone have a link for the procedure for a Gen III? The procedure I've been reviewing was last edited in 2012.
Did you try doing a regular TBS and re-checking and re-adjusting at 4,000 RPM's? The adjustment at 4K usually makes a big difference in the vib's.

On my current FZ6, I was able to get them within 3mm of each other, got rid of easily 90% of the vibs(damn near sold the bike it was so annoying). Smooth now....

I haven't looked under the hood of a GenIII but I'd have to believe any TBS would be beneficial, regular or unauthorized....... as for the unauthorized, one could remove the air box and check throttle plate alignment with a pin gauge (as you should be able to with any TB), similar to what I think they would do at factory that makes the TB. But one would need to look under the hood to see what might be involved.

Heavy bar end weights such as Salamander may help.